Old 17-04-2007, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing Rhubarb

Afternoon all

I brought a small rhubarb plant from Wilkos and it has produced two
stalks/leaves. One of the leaves started to yellow and the stem started to
go soft. I have checked it this afternoon and the leave is now totally
yellow... I have removed the offending stalk and am now just left with the
one pitiful stalk... Any suggests on what happened and any tips on growing
rhubarb?

Many thanks
Donna

Old 17-04-2007, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donna (UK) wrote:
: Afternoon all
:
: I brought a small rhubarb plant from Wilkos and it has produced two
: stalks/leaves. One of the leaves started to yellow and the stem
: started to go soft. I have checked it this afternoon and the leave
: is now totally yellow... I have removed the offending stalk and am
: now just left with the one pitiful stalk... Any suggests on what
: happened and any tips on growing rhubarb?
:
: Many thanks
: Donna

For the best rhubarb you need plenty of muck and moisture. It may be that
the crown dried out too much in the store but it could recover if it still
has a decent leaf on it

Old 17-04-2007, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , "Robert
(Plymouth)" writes
Donna (UK) wrote:
: Afternoon all
:
: I brought a small rhubarb plant from Wilkos and it has produced two
: stalks/leaves. One of the leaves started to yellow and the stem
: started to go soft. I have checked it this afternoon and the leave
: is now totally yellow... I have removed the offending stalk and am
: now just left with the one pitiful stalk... Any suggests on what
: happened and any tips on growing rhubarb?
:
: Many thanks
: Donna

For the best rhubarb you need plenty of muck and moisture. It may be that
the crown dried out too much in the store but it could recover if it still
has a decent leaf on it

Given the weather we've been having, I'd definitely go for not enough
water - rhubarb's a very thirsty plant. I'm having to water the 2 plants
I put in my allotment in March daily to keep them happy - 5-10
Litres/plant/day.

Will
--
lancre dot net - The personal domain of Will and Cath Wilkinson.
Send e-mail to news dot will at lancre dot net
Old 17-04-2007, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Donna (UK)" writes
Afternoon all

I brought a small rhubarb plant from Wilkos and it has produced two
stalks/leaves. One of the leaves started to yellow and the stem started to
go soft.

I would have thought that that particular leaf had simply reached the
end of its useful life.

Don't worry as long as the other leaf is healthy.

If the other leaf isn't healthy, then return it to the shop and ask for
a better replacement.
--
Kay