Old 19-04-2007, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tropical tree

I saw a beautiful tree on holiday, named Tulipe de Gabon. It had the
most wonderful huge red flowers and it was about 10 metres high.

Could I buy a small specimen here to keep in a heated conservatory and
restrict the roots by a large pot? Would it survive?

Old 19-04-2007, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
" writes
I saw a beautiful tree on holiday, named Tulipe de Gabon. It had the
most wonderful huge red flowers and it was about 10 metres high.

Could I buy a small specimen here to keep in a heated conservatory and
restrict the roots by a large pot? Would it survive?

After hitting Google I infer that you are referring to Spathodea
campsnulata. Chiltern Seeds sell seed of these, and describe it as "A
magnificent tree for a large conservatory, with brilliant orange-scarlet
flowers." Nicky's seeds also carry it, and offer more seeds for your
money.

Spathodea campanulata has been discussed in uk.rec.gardening in the
past.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 19-04-2007, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 19, 4:39 pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message After hitting Google I infer that you are referring to Spathodea
campsnulata.

I don't know, am I?

Chiltern Seeds sell seed of these, and describe it as "A
magnificent tree for a large conservatory, with brilliant orange-scarlet
flowers." Nicky's seeds also carry it, and offer more seeds for your
money.

I am off to Chiltern Seeds' site to take a look.

Spathodea campanulata has been discussed in uk.rec.gardening in the
past.

Thanks Stewart for your advice and help, I will also do a search on
old posts on uk. rec.gardening, when I can discover how to do it that
is!

Old 19-04-2007, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com,
" writes
wrote:
In message After hitting Google I infer that you are referring to Spathodea
campsnulata.

I don't know, am I?

Tulipe de Gabone lacks mentions on the web, but Gabon Tulip Tree appears
to be one of the less used names of Spathodea campanulata. Since you're
the person who saw the plant you're best placed to look at photographs
on the web and come to a conclusion as to whether the two are the same.

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 19-04-2007, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 19, 5:01 pm, Martin wrote:

I think so too.

Take a look at the photos.http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...panulata&btnG=...

I took a look, thank you arn't they beautiful?

Chiltern Seeds sell seed of these, and describe it as "A
magnificent tree for a large conservatory, with brilliant orange-scarlet
flowers." Nicky's seeds also carry it, and offer more seeds for your
money.

I have tried Googling in Chiltern in their alphabetical search but
came up with nothing. I also Googled on the name which took me into
an American site and also sid the seeds were being sold on Ebay but I
just can't find it on Chilterns.

Many thanks Martin for your help.

Old 19-04-2007, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 19, 5:29 pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:13:11 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley

wrote:
In message . com,
" writes
wrote:
In message After hitting Google I infer that you are referring to Spathodea
campsnulata.

I don't know, am I?

Tulipe de Gabone lacks mentions on the web, but Gabon Tulip Tree appears
to be one of the less used names of Spathodea campanulata. Since you're
the person who saw the plant you're best placed to look at photographs
on the web and come to a conclusion as to whether the two are the same.

I posted a link to where it was referred to as Tulipe de Gabone.
--

Martin

Thanks Martin and Stewart, it is indeed the Tulipe de Gabone, now I
just have to order some seeds.

Old 19-04-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 19, 5:27 pm, Martin wrote:
On 19 Apr 2007 09:24:06 -0700, "

wrote:
On Apr 19, 5:01 pm, Martin wrote:

I think so too.

Take a look at the photos.http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...panulata&btnG=...

I took a look, thank you arn't they beautiful?

Chiltern Seeds sell seed of these, and describe it as "A
magnificent tree for a large conservatory, with brilliant orange-scarlet
flowers." Nicky's seeds also carry it, and offer more seeds for your
money.

I have tried Googling in Chiltern in their alphabetical search but
came up with nothing. I also Googled on the name which took me into
an American site and also sid the seeds were being sold on Ebay but I
just can't find it on Chilterns.

Many thanks Martin for your help.

Was it hotter in NL than in Guadeloupe?

28.9C on Sunday. Cold wind and 14C now brrrrrrrr!
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

It was usually around 33C, the sea was warm and the hotel pool too hot
and not refreshing.

I dived to around 25 metres and even there it was very pleasant and I
only wore a shortie wet suit. Underwater was as colourful as above
with the most lovely lace sea ferns I have ever seen.

In the National Forest it was very humid but well worth the day's
visit especially to swim in the rock pools created by the cascades;
now that was refreshing, even quite cold and many who complained
bitterly about the heat refused to go in because it was cold!!!

Old 19-04-2007, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 19, 5:04 pm, Martin wrote:

and this

http://www.mi-aime-a-ou.com/tulipier..._de_la_reunion...
--

Martin

Wow, how lovely is that? Strangely we are thinking of going to
Reunion for our next trip. We were a bit put off when we saw all the
warning notices at the airport in Guadeloupe and Martinique where it
said that those who have recently come from there should report
immediately to a doctor as there is a spider there that has caused a
big problem. Apparently if this spider has bitten you in Reunion and
you then travel to Guadeloupe or Martinique and are then bitten by a
mozzie, you will develop a serious illness as the mozzie is the vector.

Old 19-04-2007, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
" writes
On Apr 19, 5:01 pm, Martin wrote:

I think so too.

Take a look at the
photos.http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...a+campanulata&
btnG=...

I took a look, thank you arn't they beautiful?

Chiltern Seeds sell seed of these, and describe it as "A
magnificent tree for a large conservatory, with brilliant orange-scarlet
flowers." Nicky's seeds also carry it, and offer more seeds for your
money.

I have tried Googling in Chiltern in their alphabetical search but
came up with nothing. I also Googled on the name which took me into
an American site and also sid the seeds were being sold on Ebay but I
just can't find it on Chilterns.

Chiltern Seeds

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chiltern...p?pe=DBFBCIIHQ
_+spathodea+campanulata&cid=211

References on UK sites

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...odea+campan u
lata+site%3Auk

Old 19-04-2007, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 19, 4:39 pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message .com,
" writes

I saw a beautiful tree on holiday, named Tulipe de Gabon. It had the
most wonderful huge red flowers and it was about 10 metres high.

Could I buy a small specimen here to keep in a heated conservatory and
restrict the roots by a large pot? Would it survive?

After hitting Google I infer that you are referring to Spathodea
campsnulata. Chiltern Seeds sell seed of these, and describe it as "A
magnificent tree for a large conservatory, with brilliant orange-scarlet
flowers." Nicky's seeds also carry it, and offer more seeds for your
money.

Spathodea campanulata has been discussed in uk.rec.gardening in the
past.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Stewart, I found the old discussion in 2005 on the above but there
wasn't much info there. However, I have now got all the info I
require so thanks to all of you.