Old 25-04-2007, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spuds

Typical innit!

Chucked a couple of Maris Piper into a tub as they started to chit in the
fridge (Didn't get time to eat 'em) and they're doing well.

Bought a pack of Golden Wonder in a bag from Nursery and bugger all root
growing after 4 weeks in cool dark place.

Oh well....they're in now and hope for best...

Old 25-04-2007, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

R wrote:

Bought a pack of Golden Wonder in a bag from Nursery and bugger all root
growing after 4 weeks in cool dark place.

Surely cool & dark is for storage when you're hoping they won't do
anything. Cool and *bright* is for chitting AIUI.

Oh well....they're in now and hope for best...

I dare say they'll grow. I think I've read somewhere that chitting is
only necessary for (first) earlies anyway.

Peter
Old 26-04-2007, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter Robinson" wrote in message
R wrote:

Bought a pack of Golden Wonder in a bag from Nursery and bugger all root
growing after 4 weeks in cool dark place.

Surely cool & dark is for storage when you're hoping they won't do
anything. Cool and *bright* is for chitting AIUI.

I find that a number of potatoes will chit even when in a dark place in the
kitchen!

Old 27-04-2007, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

R wrote:

Bought a pack of Golden Wonder in a bag from Nursery and bugger all root
growing after 4 weeks in cool dark place.

Surely cool & dark is for storage when you're hoping they won't do
anything. Cool and *bright* is for chitting AIUI.

I find that a number of potatoes will chit even when in a dark place in the
kitchen!

Yes, I've found that too. But that's just because they know you don't
want them to.

Peter

New spuds Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 12 07-07-2003 02:47 AM
Spuds Neil Trotter United Kingdom 2 13-06-2003 12:08 PM
Black leaves on spuds - Beans too Colin Malsingh United Kingdom 0 19-05-2003 10:44 PM
Black leaves on spuds Shakespeare United Kingdom 1 19-05-2003 05:56 PM
Spuds - when to harvest? Tom Elliott Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:33 AM