Old 01-05-2007, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bindweed nightmare

"Baz" wrote in message
Judith,

Please see my reply to K...

This sounds like a good idea! Unfortunately, it's impossible to put canes
in, the bush is too dense. I can't even get my hand in! This is the

mother
of all hawthorn/bindweed bushes!

So, how many sandwich bags? One, two, ten ...? And how long before I can
get to what's left of my lawn to reseed it again?

Thanks,

Even when its dead you are still going to have to dig it out to reseed, so
you may as well cut it down and get shredding or burning, it will make
dealing with the bind weed a lot easier in the long run. It could take
around 10 years for a dead hawthorn to become crumbly enough remove and
break up.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 02-05-2007, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:31:29 +0100, "Baz" wrote:

... Hope you guys can give me some advice. Recently moved into a house with a
... decent sized back garden but there's a huge hedge mostly composed of what
... I've discovered is bindweed wrapped around a hawthorn bush.

snipped

I did not get the post re sandwich bags to deter the bindweed. Could
someone repeat it for me please ?

Mike P
Old 02-05-2007, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike P" mike@askme wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:31:29 +0100, "Baz" wrote:

.. Hope you guys can give me some advice. Recently moved into a house

with a
.. decent sized back garden but there's a huge hedge mostly composed of

what
.. I've discovered is bindweed wrapped around a hawthorn bush.

snipped

I did not get the post re sandwich bags to deter the bindweed. Could
someone repeat it for me please ?

Mike P

You unravel some bind weed place it in a plastic bag still growing, follow
it with some glysophate weed killer (not to strong a mix) seal the top with
a twist tie or rubber band and wait around three weeks, do this on as many
stems as you can. you may have a little to repeat on the following year but
you can completely rid yourself of bindweed in this way.
Unhappily it returns over time from seed (which is how it arrived in the
first place!

Old 02-05-2007, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 2 May, 08:18, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
[...]

Mike: with regard to your hawthorn hedge, have you thought about what
you'll replace it with? Is it a boundary hedge? If you get rid of it
completely there's a possibility you might regret it. Mature hedges
take time to grow, and plants generally look much nicer than a bare
fence. Is there no way it can be salvaged by hard pruning? Of
course, given that it's a very prickly plant, you might not want it in
the garden if you have small children.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Apr, 18:10, "Baz" wrote:
This sounds like a good idea! Unfortunately, it's impossible to put canes
in, the bush is too dense. I can't even get my hand in! This is the mother
of all hawthorn/bindweed bushes!

When I go away on hols the bindweed do take over on our rasberries
bushes. I just crawl under it and pull/cut from below. They all die on
the bush and I remove them afterwards. It's not really pretty but they
dry out and come off easily. Patience is also a very good tool ;o)

Old 02-05-2007, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote
On 2 May 2007 13:51:22 -0700, La Puce wrote:

On 30 Apr, 18:10, "Baz" wrote:
This sounds like a good idea! Unfortunately, it's impossible to put canes
in, the bush is too dense. I can't even get my hand in! This is the mother
of all hawthorn/bindweed bushes!

When I go away on hols the bindweed do take over on our rasberries
bushes. I just crawl under it and pull/cut from below. They all die on
the bush and I remove them afterwards. It's not really pretty but they
dry out and come off easily. Patience is also a very good tool ;o)

The mares tail, Equisetum arvense, growing in the pavement adjacent to our house
is back, despite the local authority using chemical warfare on it a year ago.

Sycamore will do that, for years.
--
Roger Hunt

Millipedes nightmare GrlIntrpted Orchids 6 06-12-2003 03:32 PM
privacy nightmare! walms Gardening 45 19-09-2003 02:50 AM
leylandii nightmare Richard United Kingdom 22 15-07-2003 07:54 PM
Weekend nightmare Kelly Upton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 28-04-2003 06:44 PM
nightmare John Rutz Ponds 18 10-04-2003 04:20 PM