Old 29-04-2007, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bindweed nightmare

Hope you guys can give me some advice. Recently moved into a house with a
decent sized back garden but there's a huge hedge mostly composed of what
I've discovered is bindweed wrapped around a hawthorn bush. This beast
measures about six feet high by about twelve feet wide and encroaches about
four feet onto the lawn. And I want to blast this thing to kingdom come by
whatever means is necessary...

I know zero about gardening other than mowing the lawns...but I've read that
bindweed is difficult to get rid of permanently and that something like
Roundup containing glyphosate (sp?) is the way to go. Of course, I could
just attack the whole thing with a hedge trimmer but there'd be A LOT of
plastic bin liners creating more of a problem to get rid of than the b****y
bindweed... I don't care about the hawthorn either. The whole lot must
go!!

Any practical and helpful advice much appreciated.

Old 29-04-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:31:29 +0100, "Baz" wrote:

Any practical and helpful advice much appreciated.

You need some time. Every time you have a few minutes to spare, rip up
some bindweed. It will fight back with new growth but you will win
eventually. Consider it a challenge.

Steve

Old 29-04-2007, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 29, 3:31 pm, "Baz" wrote:
[...]

Easey, peasey, just put some growth, a few inches will do, into a
plastic sandwich bag, pour in a minute amount of Roundup, seal bag
with twist.

To make it easier, put a cane into the area where it is entwinted in
hedges, let it grow up said canes, removed cane and put growth into
said sandwich bag with etc. etc. This will get rtid of it totally as
it will take it down to the roots, it does work, I promise, I used it
on a garden that was thatched with it! Never a piece comes up now.
Don't think that by pulling it up you can get rid of it, you can't,
the sandwich bag is the way to go.

Judith

Old 29-04-2007, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

judith. wrote in reply to
"Baz" who wrote:
[...]

There is also some Weedkiller Gel on the market called "Growing Success Deep
Root Weedkiller Gel" that is painted on the leaves (with the included brush)
and which also works well on Bindweed by being taken down to the roots. Rid
our new allotment of it in one season.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 29-04-2007, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 29, 5:06 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
judith. wrote in reply to

"Baz" who wrote:
[...]

Bob, I remember I used that for small patches of ground elder. If
using that, it is really important to be double gloved as most people
will use the palm of their hand as a pallet to support the growth and
paint on it. The skin will absorb the glychowhatsit and that is not
good for you.

Old 29-04-2007, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You say "I don't care about the hawthorn either. The whole lot must
go!!"

So that makes the solving of the problem fairly simple. Dig up the
hawthorn and then dig up the bindweed roots making sure that every
morsel is removed. Any that escapes your attention will soon reveal
itself via new weakened growth which also needs careful removal. By the
end of the summer you will be bindweed free.

Old 29-04-2007, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
You say "I don't care about the hawthorn either. The whole lot must
go!!"

So that makes the solving of the problem fairly simple. Dig up the
hawthorn and then dig up the bindweed roots making sure that every
morsel is removed. Any that escapes your attention will soon reveal
itself via new weakened growth which also needs careful removal. By the
end of the summer you will be bindweed free.

But we cannot vouch for your back being pain free :-((

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 29-04-2007, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Baz writes
[...]

That's early for bindweed. Mine is only just showing through the ground,
about 6 inches high. Or is it last year's dead stems you can see?

--
Kay
Old 29-04-2007, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emrys Davies wrote
You say "I don't care about the hawthorn either. The whole lot must
go!!"

So that makes the solving of the problem fairly simple. Dig up the
hawthorn and then dig up the bindweed roots making sure that every
morsel is removed.

Ha! The roots are notoriously brittle, and fragments only nanometers
long will re-generate.
Any that escapes your attention will soon reveal
itself via new weakened growth which also needs careful removal. By the
end of the summer you will be bindweed free.

I would have a thorough check for birds' nests, and wriggle under the
hedge to locate and snap the bindweed at base, dripping a bit of strong
Glyphosate on the broken stems. This will check the bindweed for the
time being, if there are birds nesting.
--
Roger Hunt
Old 30-04-2007, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 29, 3:31 pm, "Baz" wrote:

Easey, peasey, just put some growth, a few inches will do, into a
plastic sandwich bag, pour in a minute amount of Roundup, seal bag
with twist.

To make it easier, put a cane into the area where it is entwinted in
hedges, let it grow up said canes, removed cane and put growth into
said sandwich bag with etc. etc. This will get rtid of it totally as
it will take it down to the roots, it does work, I promise, I used it
on a garden that was thatched with it! Never a piece comes up now.
Don't think that by pulling it up you can get rid of it, you can't,
the sandwich bag is the way to go.

Judith

I am with Judith, I too use a plastic food bag and twist ties, but I put my
roundup into one of those house plant misters and squirt it in after!
If the Hawthorn has to go why not cut down and burn what's there and treat
the bindweed when it regrows

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 30-04-2007, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 29, 3:31 pm, "Baz" wrote:
Of course, I could
just attack the whole thing with a hedge trimmer but there'd be A LOT of
plastic bin liners creating more of a problem to get rid of than the b****y
bindweed... I don't care about the hawthorn either. The whole lot must
go!!

Any practical and helpful advice much appreciated.

Well if you don't want to do it yourself then get someone in.

Old 30-04-2007, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kay,

This stuff looks like it's been there years. It's a huge bindweed/hawthorn
bush!!

Yeah, I could dig it up (don't fancy that for obvious reasons - plus burning
is out of the question), or get someone in (sounds expensive). I'd prefer
to nuke it out of existence, but I don't have a small enough device...

Seriously, the chemical route seems the way to go. Do you have any
recommendations for (a) how much to use and (b) how to apply? Sandwich bag
idea sounds good. Is just one enough? Or should I use several?

Old 30-04-2007, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 30, 6:02 pm, "Baz" wrote:

Seriously, the chemical route seems the way to go. Do you have any

recommendations for (a) how much to use and (b) how to apply? Sandwich bag
idea sounds good. Is just one enough? Or should I use several?

Use several as the bindweed will be rooted at many points through the
garden.

Old 30-04-2007, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith,

Please see my reply to K...

This sounds like a good idea! Unfortunately, it's impossible to put canes
in, the bush is too dense. I can't even get my hand in! This is the mother
of all hawthorn/bindweed bushes!

So, how many sandwich bags? One, two, ten ...? And how long before I can
get to what's left of my lawn to reseed it again?

Thanks,

Old 30-04-2007, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 30, 6:10 pm, "Baz" wrote:
Judith,

Please see my reply to K...

This sounds like a good idea! Unfortunately, it's impossible to put canes
in, the bush is too dense. I can't even get my hand in! This is the mother
of all hawthorn/bindweed bushes!

So, how many sandwich bags? One, two, ten ...? And how long before I can
get to what's left of my lawn to reseed it again?

Baz, you don't need to get your hand in, push a cane down in the
middle of the hedge, it will find soil and the bindwweed will scramble
up to the top and then you can bag it!Q!!!

Put a treated bag every metre, after 3 weeks you will see what is dead
and whether you need to treat other areas.

Millipedes nightmare GrlIntrpted Orchids 6 06-12-2003 03:32 PM
privacy nightmare! walms Gardening 45 19-09-2003 02:50 AM
leylandii nightmare Richard United Kingdom 22 15-07-2003 07:54 PM
Weekend nightmare Kelly Upton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 28-04-2003 06:44 PM
nightmare John Rutz Ponds 18 10-04-2003 04:20 PM