Old 02-05-2007, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trying to identify plant

This plant is a perennial in full flower with pure white daisy like
flowers, 2" across, with a bulbous yellow centre. They are borne on 9"
stems. The main foliage is quite dense, very low growing, about 4-5",
is a pleasing green/grey and has a spread of 18". It is quite similar to
carrot leaves, only much shorter, about 2". It appears to root as it
goes.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Emrys Davies
writes
This plant is a perennial in full flower with pure white daisy like
flowers, 2" across, with a bulbous yellow centre. They are borne on 9"
stems. The main foliage is quite dense, very low growing, about 4-5",
is a pleasing green/grey and has a spread of 18". It is quite similar to
carrot leaves, only much shorter, about 2". It appears to root as it
goes.

Try Rhodanthemum hosmariense (aka Chrysanthemopsis hosmariensis). Most
of the other daisies with flowers matching that description (e.g.
Leucanthemum, Matricaria) are later flowering.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 03-05-2007, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Emrys Davies
writes
This plant is a perennial in full flower with pure white daisy like
flowers, 2" across, with a bulbous yellow centre. They are borne on

9"
stems. The main foliage is quite dense, very low growing, about

4-5",
is a pleasing green/grey and has a spread of 18". It is quite similar

carrot leaves, only much shorter, about 2". It appears to root as it
goes.

Try Rhodanthemum hosmariense (aka Chrysanthemopsis hosmariensis). Most
of the other daisies with flowers matching that description (e.g.
Leucanthemum, Matricaria) are later flowering.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

That is it. I am impressed with your quick response and accuracy and I
thank you very much.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

You might also consider Anthemis punctata ssp. cupaniana Emrys. It
matches your description in every way and seems to have been quite
widely planted over the past 20 or so years. I've used it as ground
cover in dry, poor soil where it forms broad mats of very pleasant
grey green foliage smothered with 5 - 7cm. wide flowers on long (15cm
+) stems in spring and early summer. In wet winters, the foliage
becomes more green, but soon 'greys up' with the return of spring
sunshine.

Very easy to prop BTW - simply take 10cm. stem tips and insert them
into sharply drained compost, gritty sand or perlite. Kept moist and
lightly shaded, they root in about 2 weeks and are ready for planting
out a week or so after that.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
oups.com...
You might also consider Anthemis punctata ssp. cupaniana Emrys. It
matches your description in every way and seems to have been quite
widely planted over the past 20 or so years. I've used it as ground
cover in dry, poor soil where it forms broad mats of very pleasant
grey green foliage smothered with 5 - 7cm. wide flowers on long (15cm
+) stems in spring and early summer. In wet winters, the foliage
becomes more green, but soon 'greys up' with the return of spring
sunshine.

Very easy to prop BTW - simply take 10cm. stem tips and insert them
into sharply drained compost, gritty sand or perlite. Kept moist and
lightly shaded, they root in about 2 weeks and are ready for planting
out a week or so after that.

Thanks for your suggestion and growing tips Dave., but I think that the
leaves are those of Rhodanthemum hosmariense. Definitey not a lot to
choose between them.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, Dave
Poole writes
You might also consider Anthemis punctata ssp. cupaniana.

That one slipped my attention.

I was in the plant sales area of a garden yesterday, and they had both
Anthemis punctata ssp. cupaniana and Leucanthemum hosmariense (yet
another name for Rhodanthemum hosmariense) on sale; but I couldn't tell
them apart. Perhaps they're more distinguishable at full size.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 04-05-2007, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,

Dave
Poole writes
You might also consider Anthemis punctata ssp. cupaniana.

That one slipped my attention.

I was in the plant sales area of a garden yesterday, and they had both
Anthemis punctata ssp. cupaniana and Leucanthemum hosmariense (yet
another name for Rhodanthemum hosmariense) on sale; but I couldn't

tell
them apart. Perhaps they're more distinguishable at full size.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Very interesting. I would like to buy both and compare their
performances. What is the name of the garden center?

The plant I described above is in a woman's garden in my road. She
allowed me to take a few cuttings which I have potted up, but I would
like a plant or two for this year. None to be found in the Midlands
within a reasonable distance of Solihull. Hilliers had them, but are
sold out.

I am now going to have a look in RHS Plantfinder.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote:

I have found both plants at Perryhill Nurseries Ltd., East Sussex and I
have e-mailed them as they do Mail Order.

I notice that there is a mauve Rhodanthemum hosmariense here
http://tinyurl.com/2urj95. Are you conversant with this one as I fancy
that as well.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Emrys Davies
writes
"Emrys Davies" wrote:

I have found both plants at Perryhill Nurseries Ltd., East Sussex and I
have e-mailed them as they do Mail Order.

I notice that there is a mauve Rhodanthemum hosmariense here
http://tinyurl.com/2urj95. Are you conversant with this one as I fancy
that as well.

That seems to Google Images misassociating images and labels, the image
actually being of an Aster cultivar. (There's the problem that the page
with the image insists on redirecting, so I can't get a good look at the
page.)

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 04-05-2007, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Emrys Davies
writes
"Emrys Davies" wrote:

I have found both plants at Perryhill Nurseries Ltd., East Sussex and

have e-mailed them as they do Mail Order.

I notice that there is a mauve Rhodanthemum hosmariense here
http://tinyurl.com/2urj95. Are you conversant with this one as I

fancy
that as well.

That seems to Google Images misassociating images and labels, the

image
actually being of an Aster cultivar. (There's the problem that the

page
with the image insists on redirecting, so I can't get a good look at

the
page.)

Having had a more thorough look I take your point, but is there a mauve
Rhodanthemum hosmariense?

Regards,
Emrys Davies.