Old 07-05-2007, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rain at Last

I've been attempting to dig the horsetail out (18 inches high in some
places, advice welcome), and was hoping the rain might help loosen the
ground, but it's done nothing here in Manchester. Just a dry dust.

Problem is, the horestail don't seem to mind the lack of rain. I measured
a 13 inch plant in the first week of April.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 7, 7:46 pm, (Paul S) wrote:
I've been attempting to dig the horsetail out (18 inches high in some
places, advice welcome), and was hoping the rain might help loosen the
ground, but it's done nothing here in Manchester. Just a dry dust.

Problem is, the horestail don't seem to mind the lack of rain. I measured
a 13 inch plant in the first week of April.

Don't even bother to try and dig it out, it would be a waste of time.
I stamp all over it and then spray with a weedkiller. Over 10 or so
years since it first appeared, I have managed to contain it to one bed
and it has diminished bout 90% as soon as I see a shoot coming
through, I bruise it and spray.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
Glorious rain in Bristol. ;O)

And boy! Did we need it.

Here in west Berks nice steady rain. My water butt half full now.
or is that half empty.
JOHN

same in Gloucestershire and isn't the smell wonderful :-)

I didn't know water buts had a smell!(:-)

Mine does. Slightly sulphurous. Am I doing something wrong?

--
Linz
Wet Yorks

Old 08-05-2007, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

same in Gloucestershire and isn't the smell wonderful :-)

I didn't know water buts had a smell!(:-)

Mine does. Slightly sulphurous. Am I doing something wrong?

--
Linz
Wet Yorks

Charcoal tables are supposed to be helpful in preventing a smelly butt :-)

--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 08-05-2007, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 8 May 2007 14:03:41 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Charcoal tables are supposed to be helpful in preventing a smelly butt :-)

What? used as a suppository?

This is not la Belle France, you knows.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

Old 08-05-2007, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 8, 3:24 pm, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³ wrote:
On Tue, 8 May 2007 14:03:41 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Charcoal tables are supposed to be helpful in preventing a smelly butt :-)

What? used as a suppository?

This is not la Belle France, you knows.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

No!!!! Charcoal biscuits wre sold, very heavily, in the 60's as an
aid to digestion, horrible things, I tried them once but never again!

Old 09-05-2007, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 May, 10:52, "Robert \(Plymouth\)" beachcom...@ultimate-
anonymity.com wrote:
Broadback wrote:
: In my part of North Staffordshire nothing to write home about.
: Personally I blame Charles Windsor, all his jetting about and his
: petrol hungry car are damaging the environment.

He's just across the border tomorrow if you want a word with him lol!

Our Maire arrived at our local festival on Monday chauffeured but in a
hybrid car! I was so proud of him. I think there's lots of hyprocrisy
surrounding the Royals jet setting here or there. In one thread I've
noticed 3 comments from people who do not hesitate to fly a few miles
several times a year, encourage others to do so, use chemicals all
over the place, and have no regard to the environment whatsoever. I
think one ought to do what one preaches ;o)

Old 09-05-2007, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 9, 10:52 am, "Robert \(Plymouth\)" beachcom...@ultimate-
anonymity.com wrote:
He's just across the border tomorrow if you want a word with him lol!

No need, I can wait until he comes to stay with my neighbour! Yes he
really does and he has waved to me on several occasions when I have
been weeding in my filthy tee shirt, rubber gloves with my nails
poking through, hair like a bird's nest and usually in my gold
slippers. I casually wave my trowel at him, I mean what can you do?
I really wish he would give me notice when he is coming past so that
at least I can put a bit of lippy on.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 May, 12:19, Martin wrote:

Not to mention those flying thousands of miles to make a virtual visit to those
flying millions of miles.
"The crew on board the International Space Station (ISS) stood to attention
yesterday as they received a virtual visit from Queen Elizabeth II during her
tour of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center."
She could have stayed at home and done the virtual visit from there. Did she
notice the atsronauts were standing on their heads?

That wasn't her. It was Helen Mirren in the next Apolo XII.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 May, 12:57, Martin wrote:
That wasn't her. It was Helen Mirren in the next Apolo XII.

and three "astronauts" on a film set.

Off course! Noticed the flag moving in the wind? What wind?!? It's a
*film* set. roll eyes