Old 13-05-2007, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spuds in glasshouse

My spuds this year have very large tops and a generous helping of taters per
plant, I have now been lifting for a week or more.

The problem is the tops are far to large and I would like if possible for
next year to get some plants with smaller tops
any and all ideas appreciated

.....................Leslie

Old 14-05-2007, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Leslie" wrote in message
My spuds this year have very large tops and a generous helping of

taters per
plant, I have now been lifting for a week or more.

The problem is the tops are far to large and I would like if possible

for
next year to get some plants with smaller tops
any and all ideas appreciated

.....................Leslie

I think that the tops are large because they have been grown in a
glasshouse. The same will probably apply to any variety that you grow.

Old 14-05-2007, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 May, 11:38, "Emrys Davies" wrote:
I think that the tops are large because they have been grown in a
glasshouse. The same will probably apply to any variety that you grow.

I thought that too. Inspecting our pink fir spuds, the leaves are
definitely smaller than the desiree ones. Perhaps there is some
variety with smaller leaves!? This is the first time I do pink fir, at
the lotty and in the 'famous bucket'. Plants from both places have
distinctly smaller leaves than the ordianary white spuds.

Old 15-05-2007, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 May 2007 05:27:39 -0700, La Puce wrote:

On 14 May, 11:38, "Emrys Davies" wrote:
I think that the tops are large because they have been grown in a
glasshouse. The same will probably apply to any variety that you grow.

I thought that too. Inspecting our pink fir spuds, the leaves are
definitely smaller than the desiree ones. Perhaps there is some
variety with smaller leaves!? This is the first time I do pink fir, at
the lotty and in the 'famous bucket'. Plants from both places have
distinctly smaller leaves than the ordianary white spuds.

Pink Fir Apple are slower to get going and do not make so much top
growth. Mine went in about a week after 4 other varieties and are
only just showing leaf, where the others are well up.

Pam in Bristol

Glasshouse Leslie United Kingdom 0 24-10-2005 06:12 PM
Relocating old aluminium glasshouse (New glass seals?) Tom United Kingdom 6 12-10-2005 03:58 PM
Cambridge Varsity 8 Glasshouse Paul King United Kingdom 2 09-04-2004 10:34 AM
looking to buy green/glasshouse ..sydney ..recommends?? bigjd Australia 0 21-03-2004 06:02 AM
cleaning a 2nd hand glasshouse? shannie United Kingdom 8 16-05-2003 02:32 PM