Old 16-05-2007, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slug devastation

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 15/5/07 15:05, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"John E" wrote in message

snip
I have seen a lot of suggestions to destroy slugs. One which seems to be
very effective and also non-toxic (to humans and other wildlife) is
Nemaslug - which is essentially a culture of nematodes which attack
slugs.
I cannot personally vouch for it, and would be interested to see any
other
posts from people who have used it, but the article which I read which
referred to it, claimed it was 100% effective.

(You have to keep it in the fridge until used)

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/slug.htm

But, I understand it is expensive!

So is losing all your veg and having to buy it in all through the year.
And
a lot of people who grow their veg want to be organic, so having to buy
organic veg all year will cost them even more.

Slug pellets are very much cheaper and will kill as many slugs as the
Nemaslug.

Old 16-05-2007, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/5/07 17:15, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 15/5/07 15:05, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"John E" wrote in message

[...]

But they are not organic, Alan. As I said, a lot of people growing veg who
are urglers, prefer to grow organically for sound reasons.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-05-2007, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 16/5/07 17:15, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 15/5/07 15:05, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"John E" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I know, it is the only non organic thing I use!

There is a limit.

Old 17-05-2007, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 16 May, 22:45, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

. uk...

On 16/5/07 17:15, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 15/5/07 15:05, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"John E" wrote in message
[...]

There is a limit.- Hide quoted text -

We have lots of slugs and snails in our heavy clay soil. Recently
I've been using 'Growing Success' slug pellets around susceptible
plants. The active ingredient is ferric phosphate, which I believe
breaks down to iron in the soil. They seem to be doing the job.
However, even though I buy the "rain-proof" ones, you're still stuck
with the problem of them dissolving too fast when there's heavy rain.
Plus it's not exactly an organic solution. Like Alan, I also find
that after-dark raids with a torch go a long way to reducing the
population. I'm afraid I cut them up with scissors as I go... And
yes, the neighbours find it all a bit perplexing, especially when we
go out after a few drinks, with a really bright desk-lamp with a long
lead, staggering and wavering our way about. However, some nights you
just don't feel in the mood! Copper does seem to work, but I think
you need a decent-width strip for it to do the job.

Old 18-05-2007, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
But they are not organic, Alan. As I said, a lot of people growing veg
who
are urglers, prefer to grow organically for sound reasons.

What about an organic poison then such as iron phosphate pellets?

http://www.simplegiftsfarm.com/slug-control.html

Stephen