Old 14-05-2007, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slug devastation

We are having a really bad Spring here what with devastation of fruit trees,
by mth caterpillars, we also have more slug damage than ever before.

Unfortunately, I have been having trouble with my News Art downloading, so
if I do not reply to any help, it is because I have computer problems.

Anyway, we try to be organic and re. the slugs, I try to use methods
advocated by what was the HDRA. I think it's called something else now.

I have used the Malay fish poison that you water on, and is meant to be
effective for up to 6 weeks, regardless of rain. However, I can't find our
stock of it, or we've run out.

I have been using stuff with Aluminium sulphate. This upsets slugs but is
meant to be harmless to warm blood creatures. But, in heavy rain it just
seems to get washed away in a day.

I am hoping to find something that actually attracts slugs, so I could put
it under a shelter from the rain.

Then again, there the possibility of beer ! The slugs get drunk. This may be
attract slugs from some distance away.

But, a common factor re. fruit and slug devastation seems to be a dearth of
the right sorts of birds.

I should be grateful for any helpful thoughts.

--
From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------
_ _________________________________________

Old 14-05-2007, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

.uk...

From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------
_ _________________________________________
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services
\_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_ / 'Internet for Everyone'
_______ | ___________./ http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk

I have seen a lot of suggestions to destroy slugs. One which seems to be
very effective and also non-toxic (to humans and other wildlife) is
Nemaslug - which is essentially a culture of nematodes which attack slugs. I
cannot personally vouch for it, and would be interested to see any other
posts from people who have used it, but the article which I read which
referred to it, claimed it was 100% effective.

(You have to keep it in the fridge until used)

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/slug.htm

John.

Old 14-05-2007, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/5/07 18:03, in article , "John
E" wrote:

snip
I have seen a lot of suggestions to destroy slugs. One which seems to be
very effective and also non-toxic (to humans and other wildlife) is
Nemaslug - which is essentially a culture of nematodes which attack slugs. I
cannot personally vouch for it, and would be interested to see any other
posts from people who have used it, but the article which I read which
referred to it, claimed it was 100% effective.

We use nematodes here around the nursery. They work well.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-05-2007, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...
[...]

Nemaslug works well in limited contained areas. I use it in my raised allotment
beds beer traps also work well if you empty them regularly. If you like sitting
out in the evening I tend to stamp on a few and then catch and kill about 20
more as they come to feast on their fallen companions.

Gill M
Old 14-05-2007, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 14 May 2007 17:03:13 GMT, John E wrote:

I have seen a lot of suggestions to destroy slugs. One which seems to be
very effective and also non-toxic (to humans and other wildlife) is
Nemaslug - which is essentially a culture of nematodes which attack slugs. I
cannot personally vouch for it, and would be interested to see any other
posts from people who have used it, but the article which I read which
referred to it, claimed it was 100% effective.

(You have to keep it in the fridge until used)

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/slug.htm

John.

Hi John,my garden is slug heaven.Trees along the western fence,so shady
early in the PM,and lots of leaf litter.I first used the nematodes about 6
years ago.They worked really well.So well that slugs where not a problem
the following year and only started to put in an appearance in numbers the
year after that.
I can only guess,but as they are native I managed to "seed" the area for
the longer term.
A balance of nature? It's nice to think so.
I put the latest load on a couple of weeks ago,20 quids worth.IF it works
as before thats not too bad for 2 years cover......Who am I kidding,its
still a lot of money for bloody slugs! )

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Old 14-05-2007, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Wane Smooth
writes
[...]

I understood the Nematode was not native at all, from New Zealand
originally?

A balance of nature? It's nice to think so.
I put the latest load on a couple of weeks ago,20 quids worth.IF it works
as before thats not too bad for 2 years cover......Who am I kidding,its
still a lot of money for bloody slugs! )

We used nematodes in our Leeds garden, certainly was never as effective
as one application to keep numbers down enough for 2 years, we'd
probably used a couple of applications in a year? but it does work, but
not 100% slug removal.

Now we've moved to East Anglia slugs aren't a problem, we have them, and
we have plenty of undergrowth around the garden etc., but don't suffer
any particularly obvious slug damage. I assume because it's drier?
--
Chris French

Old 14-05-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 14 May 2007 21:24:09 +0100, chris French wrote:

In message , Wane Smooth
writes
[...]

Hi Chris,you could well be right all I know for sure is they where
discovered by scientists at the government research institute at Bristol,
England.
I may have put 2 and 2 together and got 5 ;o).
--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!
Old 14-05-2007, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi John,

The only answer is WAR - total WAR, when it comes to slugs and snails, which
can quickly devastate your hard work on the garden.

I like to be green and organic wherever I can but when it comes to slugs and
snails I resort to chemical WMD - the green pellets - theyre cheap and they
work.

Havent tried the nematodes but they look expensive to me.

Did try going out with a lamp and salt pot after dark - it did work somewhat
but was too much effort and aroused too much neighbourly curiosity so I
stopped that. Also tried beer traps, sharp gravel - you name it - all with
some effect but nothing near as effective as the green WMD pellets.

This is no time for prevarication - green isnt always best - so take
decisive action - bite the bullet and exterminate them.

Good luck

Hope this helps

Alan

.uk...

From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------
_ _________________________________________

Old 15-05-2007, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wane Smooth" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks to all for comments - it is expensive, certainly, and probably
effective but not 100%.

I also live in East Anglia, Chris, and slugs here are an intermittent
problem. I'm expecting a population explosion after all the recent rain!

John.

Old 15-05-2007, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John E" wrote in message
.uk...

From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------
_ _________________________________________
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services
\_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_ / 'Internet for Everyone'
_______ | ___________./ http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk

I have seen a lot of suggestions to destroy slugs. One which seems to be
very effective and also non-toxic (to humans and other wildlife) is
Nemaslug - which is essentially a culture of nematodes which attack slugs.
I cannot personally vouch for it, and would be interested to see any other
posts from people who have used it, but the article which I read which
referred to it, claimed it was 100% effective.

(You have to keep it in the fridge until used)

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/slug.htm

But, I understand it is expensive!

Old 15-05-2007, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/5/07 15:05, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"John E" wrote in message

snip
I have seen a lot of suggestions to destroy slugs. One which seems to be
very effective and also non-toxic (to humans and other wildlife) is
Nemaslug - which is essentially a culture of nematodes which attack slugs.
I cannot personally vouch for it, and would be interested to see any other
posts from people who have used it, but the article which I read which
referred to it, claimed it was 100% effective.

(You have to keep it in the fridge until used)

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/slug.htm

But, I understand it is expensive!

So is losing all your veg and having to buy it in all through the year. And
a lot of people who grow their veg want to be organic, so having to buy
organic veg all year will cost them even more.

Old 15-05-2007, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 14 May 2007 17:51:14 BST, John Nolan
wrote:

Anyway, we try to be organic and re. the slugs, I try to use methods
advocated by what was the HDRA. I think it's called something else now.

It's called Garden Organic, but everyone seems to qualify it by saying
"formerly known as HDRA".
On GQT on Friday, from Malvern, Monty gave an organic suggestion for
keeping slugs off hostas. Boil garlic in water, strain and spray on.
apparently the slugs don't like garlic!
I'm trying it , but have to keep re-applying each time it rains.

I have in the past used bran to attract them. Put in little piles,
under something to shelter it if necessary. Slugs love the bran,
gather round it and there you can pick them up and dispose of
them.......

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Hi John,

I'm with Sacha on this one, encourage frogs into your garden. Ponds are not necessary: my small front garden is a barren desert of shingle with no earth, no water, just a lot of things in pots, and it is crawling with frogs! (They make me scream every time, I can't see them until they move) Just arrange some pots close together to provide shade, and water them carelessly so it splashes about a bit. That's all I do, and I rarely have slugs - but lots of snails. Hmm, I need a thrush. Anyone got a spare one?

Copper tape: doesn't work.
Two rings of copper tape attached to a small battery, however, is 100% effective (he he he) and I kept my tiny back garden allotment bed clear of everything for several years by this method. (Wonder if I could get a barrier all the way round the entire garden? If I could train the postmad to step over it......)

Moats also work: raised beds on legs with each leg standing in a dish of water, as long as you have a good couple of inches of clear water. To the best of my knowledge, snails won't swim, and can't jump. If I could only get the whole garden raised up on legs....

Caterpillars, however, not a sign of them. Lush, lush Soloman's Seal for the first time in years.

Beer also works well - yes, I know it's a wrench to sacrifice some, but come on, be a man about it. And, best of all, it kills them but doesn't poison them in the pellet sense, so you can tip them out for the birds to enjoy (hic!).

An alternative is to sink old drinks cans in the ground up to their necks, with a little beer in the bottom. At least with these you don't have to look at all the sad little corpses...

Rachel
__________________
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales
Old 15-05-2007, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , chris French
writes
Hi John,my garden is slug heaven.Trees along the western fence,so shady
early in the PM,and lots of leaf litter.I first used the nematodes about 6
years ago.They worked really well.So well that slugs where not a problem
the following year and only started to put in an appearance in numbers the
year after that.
I can only guess,but as they are native I managed to "seed" the area for
the longer term.

I understood the Nematode was not native at all, from New Zealand
originally?

You may be thinking of the New Zealand Flatworm, which has caused
problems in Scotland and Northern Ireland, by predating earthworms.
Nemaslug is Phasmarhabditis hermaphrodita which is said to be from
Central Europe.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley