Old 20-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Registered User

Default Wisteria as a standard

I have searched the forum, but just wanted to confirm some of my findings.

I have struggled to find sources of standard Wisterias, they seem to be very rare. When I visited my local reputable garden centre they advocated grafting onto a tree in order to give a thicker stem and to limit the root spread. Not being experienced, I didn't fancy this idea (chance to kill two plants for the price of one). The RHS website shows training up a stake and then outwards once the desired height has been reached (this seems much more doable).

So a few questions:

Would you use just one stem or mutiple stems which you plait together as they grow?

I intend planting in a garden inside a stone rope circle (diameter ??m) with box planted 8" inside this. Will the roots become problematic in the future? Could I plant within a large pot sunk to ground level to minimise the root growth and so limit the Wisteria?

Which variety will give the best year round impact? I'm not focussing solely on flowering here. The box will give winter colour and I may plant some bluebell/forget-me-not for early colour too but this will be the most visually impactful plant in a fairly small front garden.

Would you train another climber(s) to give colour beyond May-June? Or would this simply be choked by the Wisteria anyway?

TIA David
Old 24-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Registered User

I think that a wisteria would be too rampant a climber to grow as a standard. Nurserys train wisterias for sale with about a 4ft single stem and pruned hard back for transport etc. Once planted the thing will burst with long thin runners that will later spring leaves. Its supposed to be planeted against a house wall to cover a pegola or other structure. It can grow to 40ft or more. Wisterias can be hit and miss some years regarding flowering too. I think you could do better for your stone circle than a wisteria,