Old 20-05-2007, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default growing stuff in the shade

Hiya, we have a front garden that points due north and consequently
most of it spends its life in constant shadow.
Now we know about hostas and ferns but can anyone tell us of anything
that is
(a) colourful,(b) perrenial,(c) low maintaince,and (d) shade loving,
Now bear in mind that we are not noted for our horticultural knowledge
and we like to plant stuff then pretty much forget about it. So it
would help if any suggestions could also thrive on neglect also.
C`mon lets be having you. Thanks in anticipation

Old 20-05-2007, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

With a modicum of care a tree fern would be ideal. Just wrap a little fleece
around it over Winter and have spectacular fronds the rest of the year.

David.

Old 21-05-2007, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
writes
Hiya, we have a front garden that points due north and consequently
most of it spends its life in constant shadow.
Now we know about hostas and ferns but can anyone tell us of anything
that is
(a) colourful,(b) perrenial,(c) low maintaince,and (d) shade loving,
Now bear in mind that we are not noted for our horticultural knowledge
and we like to plant stuff then pretty much forget about it. So it
would help if any suggestions could also thrive on neglect also.
C`mon lets be having you. Thanks in anticipation

If you are anywhere near Berkhamstead visit the nursery at Potten end
(Little heath nurseries) they love shade plants and have masses of
beautiful plants most a bit more special than the usual run of the mill
stuff.
They are a working nursery so no plastic gnomes, garden equipment or
similar but their range of plants both shade and ordinary is quite
wonderful. We went there last week as a group from the garden club,
However most weeks you'll find one or two of us there in midweek buying
anything and everything.
The owner says they love shade plants and the variety you can get from
Acers to little perennials.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 21-05-2007, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 May 2007 13:38:00 -0700
wrote:

Hiya, we have a front garden that points due north and consequently
most of it spends its life in constant shadow.
Now we know about hostas and ferns but can anyone tell us of anything
that is
(a) colourful,(b) perrenial,(c) low maintaince,and (d) shade loving,
Now bear in mind that we are not noted for our horticultural knowledge
and we like to plant stuff then pretty much forget about it. So it
would help if any suggestions could also thrive on neglect also.
C`mon lets be having you. Thanks in anticipation

How about a Camelia? Variegated Cornus?

Many maples will fit the bill, from Japanese to... Be aware that
most red Japanese maples will fade to green in full shade. Here are
4 variegated suggestions outside the standard palmatum (Japanese)
cultivars:

Acer pectinatum 'Alice'. Gorgeous pink/white striped bark in winter,
red and green leaves go pink/white/green later in the season.

Acer x consipicuum 'Silver Cardinal'. Smallish maple with bright red
shoots, shiny green leaves splashed with white and pink.

Acer truncatum 'Akikaze nishiki'. Deeply cut leaves form sickle shapes
with white sliced variegation on this purpleblow maple.

Acer pseudoplatanus 'Simon Louis Freres'. Very slow growing, bushy
sycamore, leafs out bright pink, gradually fading to white cut with light
green splashes. Very spectacular.

There are many, many other possibilities in the maple world.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to

Old 21-05-2007, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote
Hiya, we have a front garden that points due north and consequently
most of it spends its life in constant shadow.
Now we know about hostas and ferns but can anyone tell us of anything
that is
(a) colourful,(b) perrenial,(c) low maintaince,and (d) shade loving,

snip

You could try:
Foxgloves (there are some perennials; the biennial ones will seed
generously around and replace themselves)
Primroses
Hellebore
Epimedium
Lamium maculatum