Old 23-05-2007, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Short front garden hose

I have a short front garden and need to get a hose out regularly since I
have a lot plants only sitting in about 18 inches of soil.

My cheapo hose ( its gone a bit hard and stiff over the years) is always a
struggle to coil up and uncoil.

I seem to remember some time ago seeing a hose for sale somewhere that was
soft and very flexible and 'flattens' up to reels up. Can anyone recommend
one of those please? and perhaps tell me the make of it so I can try and
locate one in north London. Thanks

Old 23-05-2007, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/5/07 11:16, in article ,
"torge conrad maguar" wrote:

I have a short front garden and need to get a hose out regularly since I
have a lot plants only sitting in about 18 inches of soil.

My cheapo hose ( its gone a bit hard and stiff over the years) is always a
struggle to coil up and uncoil.

I seem to remember some time ago seeing a hose for sale somewhere that was
soft and very flexible and 'flattens' up to reels up. Can anyone recommend
one of those please? and perhaps tell me the make of it so I can try and
locate one in north London. Thanks

Would it be possible to put the hose under the soil and leave it in place,
having made holes in it to irrigate the plants when you turn the tap on?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-05-2007, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/5/07 11:16, in article ,
"torge conrad maguar" wrote:

I have a short front garden and need to get a hose out regularly since I
have a lot plants only sitting in about 18 inches of soil.

My cheapo hose ( its gone a bit hard and stiff over the years) is always
struggle to coil up and uncoil.

I seem to remember some time ago seeing a hose for sale somewhere that
was
soft and very flexible and 'flattens' up to reels up. Can anyone
recommend
one of those please? and perhaps tell me the make of it so I can try and
locate one in north London. Thanks

Would it be possible to put the hose under the soil and leave it in place,
having made holes in it to irrigate the plants when you turn the tap on?
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)

Thanks. not really since most of the garden was creating by dumping soil on
to paving bricks and is a bit 'all over the place'. also there are a lot of
large pots that you really have to walk around to do.

Old 23-05-2007, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
Not sure what your budget is but I swear by my Fast Cart (Hozelock) --
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/hozelock-fast-cart.asp - but shop around
as I have seen it somewhere for £60. I put a long feeder hose on it so
that I can easily wheel the cart from the tap at the back of the house
to the front garden. And the hose rewinding is semi-automatic, needing
very little effort.

I've seen a reel from hozelock that has a lever on it to make "layering" the
hose easier when winding it up. It looks great but wouldn't hold enough hose
for me. Hozelock do several different grades of hose. The cheap soft stuff
doesn't last as long as the stiffer stuff so I'm told. Personally I've yet
to wear a hose out.

Old 23-05-2007, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , torge conrad
maguar wrote:

[...]

Another option might be a drip watering system which you could connect
up to the tap or to a water butt, leaving the drippers permanently in
place. You would only have to turn on the tap to water everything at
once -- or you could use an electronic timer so that you don't even
have to turn the tap on.

Old 23-05-2007, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My cheapo hose ( its gone a bit hard and stiff over the years) is always a
struggle to coil up and uncoil.

I seem to remember some time ago seeing a hose for sale somewhere that was
soft and very flexible and 'flattens' up to reels up. Can anyone
recommend one of those please? and perhaps tell me the make of it so I can
try and locate one in north London. Thanks

I have a flat hose that winds into a holder with push connectors either end.
As you wind it expels the water from the hose and flattens inside the
holder. This I bought from Lidl for about a fiver two years ago. Its had a
lot of use and is still 100% functional. The only downside is it will not
work unless fully unreeled.

Mike

Old 23-05-2007, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
CWatters wrote:

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
Not sure what your budget is but I swear by my Fast Cart (Hozelock) --
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/hozelock-fast-cart.asp - but shop around
as I have seen it somewhere for £60. I put a long feeder hose on it so
that I can easily wheel the cart from the tap at the back of the house
to the front garden. And the hose rewinding is semi-automatic, needing
very little effort.

I've seen a reel from hozelock that has a lever on it to make "layering" the
hose easier when winding it up. It looks great but wouldn't hold enough hose
for me. Hozelock do several different grades of hose. The cheap soft stuff
doesn't last as long as the stiffer stuff so I'm told. Personally I've yet
to wear a hose out.

The Fast Cart (qv) layers the hose automatically as it is wound in and
it is this geared mechanism which makes it much lighter and easier to
rewind than my old reel. It also holds 40m of hose which is plenty for
most people. I think you may be referring to the new 30 metre Compact
cart which is cheaper and doesn't do the layering automatically - ie
you have to move the hose guide left and right with one hand while you
rewind with the other. It's still a lot easier than managing a
recoiling hose by hand though.
Old 23-05-2007, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
My cheapo hose ( its gone a bit hard and stiff over the years) is always a
struggle to coil up and uncoil.

I seem to remember some time ago seeing a hose for sale somewhere that was
soft and very flexible and 'flattens' up to reels up. Can anyone
recommend one of those please? and perhaps tell me the make of it so I can
try and locate one in north London. Thanks

I have a flat hose that winds into a holder with push connectors either end.
As you wind it expels the water from the hose and flattens inside the
holder. This I bought from Lidl for about a fiver two years ago. Its had a
lot of use and is still 100% functional. The only downside is it will not
work unless fully unreeled.

Mike

Try a local caravan place, that is where I purchased my flat hose.