Old 24-05-2007, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aloe problems

Bought an aloe plant in Canaries a couple of years ago, it has grown to
about 1 ft talland until this spring was growing very well. I always over
winter in conservatory and with the warm weather thought it time I put it
outside, now instead of a healthy green colour a lot of the leaves are
turning a dirty brown colour, there are some smaller leaves that are green
but am worried that these will also turn colour.
Anyone any idea what could be happening, it would be a shame to lose it
after it appeared to be thriving.
Thanks for any help.

Old 24-05-2007, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/5/07 21:59, in article
, "Terry"
wrote:

Bought an aloe plant in Canaries a couple of years ago, it has grown to
about 1 ft talland until this spring was growing very well. I always over
winter in conservatory and with the warm weather thought it time I put it
outside, now instead of a healthy green colour a lot of the leaves are
turning a dirty brown colour, there are some smaller leaves that are green
but am worried that these will also turn colour.
Anyone any idea what could be happening, it would be a shame to lose it
after it appeared to be thriving.
Thanks for any help.

How much have you watered it and after watering, have you allowed it to
drain *completely* and almost dry out before watering again?
And/or, have you had cold nights that could have 'caught' it unexpectedly.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-05-2007, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Terry" wrote ...
Bought an aloe plant in Canaries a couple of years ago, it has grown to
about 1 ft talland until this spring was growing very well. I always over
winter in conservatory and with the warm weather thought it time I put it
outside, now instead of a healthy green colour a lot of the leaves are
turning a dirty brown colour, there are some smaller leaves that are green
but am worried that these will also turn colour.
Anyone any idea what could be happening, it would be a shame to lose it
after it appeared to be thriving.
Thanks for any help.

Are you sure it's not now the correct colour!

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 24-05-2007, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes

"Terry" wrote ...
Bought an aloe plant in Canaries a couple of years ago, it has grown to
about 1 ft talland until this spring was growing very well. I always over
winter in conservatory and with the warm weather thought it time I put it
outside, now instead of a healthy green colour a lot of the leaves are
turning a dirty brown colour, there are some smaller leaves that are green
but am worried that these will also turn colour.
Anyone any idea what could be happening, it would be a shame to lose it
after it appeared to be thriving.
Thanks for any help.

Are you sure it's not now the correct colour!

If it's been dry and it's standing in full sun, it may develop a red
pigment as sunscreen, which would turn the leaves brown. Is the change
of colour all that's wrong with it, or are there other symptoms, eg
leaves becoming soft or wrinkled?
--
Kay
Old 24-05-2007, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Terry" wrote ...
Bought an aloe plant in Canaries a couple of years ago, it has grown to
about 1 ft talland until this spring was growing very well. I always over
winter in conservatory and with the warm weather thought it time I put it
outside, now instead of a healthy green colour a lot of the leaves are
turning a dirty brown colour, there are some smaller leaves that are
green but am worried that these will also turn colour.
Anyone any idea what could be happening, it would be a shame to lose it
after it appeared to be thriving.
Thanks for any help.

Are you sure it's not now the correct colour!

I have an indoors aloe - the older leaves (?) die off, I peel them away and
am left with the new green leaves.

it is trial and error with watering. Personally I wouldn't plant outdoors
(living in the north west would be too chilly) but we saw some planted
outdoors in Regents Park and they looked wonderful.

Old 25-05-2007, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The aloe has not been caught by a cold spell but it could as K suggested got
a little dry, it was out in the hot weather we had a few weeks ago. Seeing
as how the plant is from the Canaries does it not get baked by the hot sun
out there.
There are fresh new green leaves coming up from the base underneath the
discoloured ones so all might not be lost.
Thanks for your help
Terry

Old 25-05-2007, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Terry" wrote
The aloe has not been caught by a cold spell but it could as K suggested
got a little dry, it was out in the hot weather we had a few weeks ago.
Seeing as how the plant is from the Canaries does it not get baked by the
hot sun out there.
There are fresh new green leaves coming up from the base underneath the
discoloured ones so all might not be lost.

It's a succulent and is designed to withstand dryness and sun, I still say
why do you think the leaves should be green? My Aloe vera plants are only
green when they are indoors or in shade in the greenhouse, put them in full
sun, as they should be, and they turn a light greeny/brown.
Lots of plants turn red in the sun as a protection, it's nothing to be
concerned about with a succulent.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 27-05-2007, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Bob, you might be right, the leaves were green in the conservatory. I
will try a new position in a more shady place.
Terry
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Terry" wrote
[...]

Aloe for Dummies: Top Heavy Aloe [email protected] Gardening 2 29-04-2006 01:58 AM
Aloe Vera Plants jammer Plant Biology 13 13-11-2005 09:07 PM
Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
The Aloe Plant Mystery... Motordome Gardening 6 08-04-2003 05:20 PM
Aloe vera - too soon to put outside? kate Gardening 17 25-03-2003 02:32 PM