Old 27-05-2007, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chelsea coverage by the BBC

There's probably been a thread about this, but I can't find it...

I've been catching up with the progs I taped of the evening coverage of the
show.....

Were as many of you as disappointed as I was??

The waffling debates between the presenters went on and on and on. I saw
hardly any small gardens and they kept repeating the same show gardens all
week. Do the show gardens pay the BBC for the extra exposure ?

And what about gadgets etc - didn't see any of those either.

All in all I was very disappointed and Carol Klein even got on my nerves
towards the end with her endless enthusiasm!

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Old 27-05-2007, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 27 May 2007 15:08:25 +0200, Martin wrote:

All in all I was very disappointed and Carol Klein even got on my nerves
towards the end with her endless enthusiasm!

Long over due, she has got on my nerves since she first appeared on our box.

Carol Klein is wonderful, she is really enthusiastic and you can see
she genuinely loves the plants. Unlike certain other presenters who
are only there to further inflate their already excessive egos.
Old 27-05-2007, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 May, 13:41, "JennyC" wrote:
There's probably been a thread about this, but I can't find it...

I've been catching up with the progs I taped of the evening coverage of the
show.....

Were as many of you as disappointed as I was??

Jenny
I share your dissapointment. Whilst I liked Carol's slot, what
irritated me was the return to the same gardens all the time. I was
left wondering if there where any other stands other than clematis,
carnivourous plants, large stand from the west indies and roses. And
the only gardens are the main show gardens. I know the BBC gives the
RHS a wad of cash for all this - which is why they did the Garden's
through Time at Harlow Carr and now the GQT northern garden (not
because the RHS is interested for it has stopped all the seed trials,
Sweet pea trials etc that the Northern Horticultural Society ran for
years)

Fortunately on www.flickr.com Yahoo's other photo posting site, people
have posted their pics of Chelsea and I found it infinately better
than the tv coverage.
My favourite garden was the one by the Japanese gardener who used the
moss balls on the wall. (which on TV turned into a trip to Paris -
very interesting, worthy of a Gardeners World slot, I want to watch
Chelsea not go on a jolly to see.....blood pressure rising - back to
the gardening)

So I wonder - are the BBC not allowed to show us everything, so that
there is something to go for?

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 27-05-2007, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

cliff_the_gardener writes

So I wonder - are the BBC not allowed to show us everything, so that
there is something to go for?

The Malvern Show coverage the other week was quite good - much better
than everyone's descriptions of the Chelsea coverage.
--
Kay
Old 28-05-2007, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
cliff_the_gardener writes

So I wonder - are the BBC not allowed to show us everything, so that
there is something to go for?

The Malvern Show coverage the other week was quite good - much better
than everyone's descriptions of the Chelsea coverage.
--
Kay

You can only stand so much disappointment - I stopped looking years ago!
Down side is that we then are totally unprepared for people asking for "That
Clematis that was on Chelsea" (do they only show one?) and have no idea what
they are talking about :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 28-05-2007, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cliff_the_gardener" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 27 May, 13:41, "JennyC" wrote:
There's probably been a thread about this, but I can't find it...

I've been catching up with the progs I taped of the evening coverage of
the
show.....

Were as many of you as disappointed as I was??

Jenny
I share your dissapointment.

Fortunately on www.flickr.com Yahoo's other photo posting site, people
have posted their pics of Chelsea and I found it infinately better
than the tv coverage.

Yes :~))
770 photo's came up this morning for this years show and some of them are
very good indeed :~)))))))))))

My favourite garden was the one by the Japanese gardener who used the
moss balls on the wall. (which on TV turned into a trip to Paris -
very interesting, worthy of a Gardeners World slot, I want to watch
Chelsea not go on a jolly to see.....blood pressure rising - back to
the gardening)

Ah, lets agree to differ on that one! I found that the most interesting part
of the whole week :~))

So I wonder - are the BBC not allowed to show us everything, so that
there is something to go for?

I have a family member who has contacts within the RHS ...........will makes
noises in his direction :~))

Jenny

Old 28-05-2007, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 May 2007 15:08:25 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 27 May 2007 14:41:18 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

Were as many of you as disappointed as I was??

snipped

People's gripes about the way the BBC presented the Chelsea Flower Show
were on
Points of View this evening.
Martin

And what was the rreaction ?
Jenny

Old 28-05-2007, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
cliff_the_gardener writes

So I wonder - are the BBC not allowed to show us everything, so that
there is something to go for?

The Malvern Show coverage the other week was quite good - much better
than everyone's descriptions of the Chelsea coverage.
--
Kay

You can only stand so much disappointment - I stopped looking years ago!

Sensible man Charlie :~)) But I am always hopeful that they will take notice
of what we say here and change the format....... I'd rather have one hour of
good coveraeg that the thinly spread out burbling of AT for 5 or 6 hours :~)

Down side is that we then are totally unprepared for people asking for
"That
Clematis that was on Chelsea" (do they only show one?) and have no idea
what
they are talking about :~)

Plus their grammer :~))
Jenny

Old 28-05-2007, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes

"K" wrote in message
cliff_the_gardener writes

So I wonder - are the BBC not allowed to show us everything, so that
there is something to go for?

The Malvern Show coverage the other week was quite good - much better
than everyone's descriptions of the Chelsea coverage.
--

You can only stand so much disappointment - I stopped looking years ago!
Down side is that we then are totally unprepared for people asking for "That
Clematis that was on Chelsea" (do they only show one?) and have no idea what
they are talking about :~)

So did I - that's why I could only say the Malvern coverage was better
than people's descriptions ;-)

You could say to people 'do you mean the pink one or the purple one?'
and then they'd think more than one was shown and they'd have to
describe it for you ;-)
--
Kay

Old 28-05-2007, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

JennyC writes

Sensible man Charlie :~)) But I am always hopeful that they will take notice
of what we say here and change the format....... I'd rather have one hour of
good coveraeg that the thinly spread out burbling of AT for 5 or 6 hours :~)

I've stopped watching last Night of the Proms since they added AT to it
:-(
--
Kay
Old 28-05-2007, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
JennyC writes

Sensible man Charlie :~)) But I am always hopeful that they will take
notice
of what we say here and change the format....... I'd rather have one hour
of
good coveraeg that the thinly spread out burbling of AT for 5 or 6 hours
:~)

I've stopped watching last Night of the Proms since they added AT to it
:-(
--
Kay

I'm glad you don't like him either !! But he's lost weight, got rid of the
jumpers and seemed to have a new hair style. At least now he looks better
and if you turn the sound of, he's just about bearable ATM :~)

Jenny

Old 28-05-2007, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sorry Kay did not get to see Malvern on telly; not a show I have been
to either - bit of a drive for a day trip

Old 28-05-2007, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jenny

My favourite garden was the one by the Japanese gardener who used the
moss balls on the wall. (which on TV turned into a trip to Paris -
very interesting, worthy of a Gardeners World slot, I want to watch
Chelsea not go on a jolly to see.....blood pressure rising - back to
the gardening)

Ah, lets agree to differ on that one! I found that the most interesting part
of the whole week :~))

I agree it was very interesting and would like to know more, but the
the guy wasn't even exhibiting at Chelsea. Let these diversions
exist in the gardening programs rather than acting as fillers of
coverage of the shows. A bit like Charlie Dimmocks coverage of some
of the American Arisaemias (?), well it was a pitcher plant, living in
a fast flowing stream rather than a still peaty glade that I had
imagined.

May be I have just out grown the standard offering, Having followed
the programs for a number of years I have learnt from them and now
want to be challenged more about plants.

Old 28-05-2007, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cliff_the_gardener" wrote in message
s.com...

snip

May be I have just out grown the standard offering, Having followed
the programs for a number of years I have learnt from them and now
want to be challenged more about plants.

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Perhaps, like me, you are just becoming a crotchety old fart:-)

Chelsea is a heavily sponsored commercial financial event and it's designed
to appeal to the widest audience, which unfortunately means there is not
much that will appeal to you/me or the odd thousand of other gardeners.