Old 29-05-2007, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Destructive tree-cutters & electricity wires.

On Tue, 29 May 2007 09:22:05 GMT, Eddy Bentley wrote:

snip

.8m between non-climbable trees and lower voltage lines.

Could I send you some photos and ask you to suggest the likely power of
the lines in my case? Can you give me a working email address? (If you
like, send me a private message with your email address in it. Remove
the anti-spam element from my address.)

Hi Eddy yep no problem just change the "verywarmmail" to hotmail in

One thing I didn't mention in my initial posting on the newsgroup is
that the tree-cutter also pointed to the stay which helps support the
pole. While the pole is on the farmer's land on the other side of the
hedge, the stay is situated on my land. Half way down the stay is a
ceramic "knuckle". This is below the top of the hedge. You can make it
out in the photo. I seem to the remember tree-cutter claimed he has a
right to create clearance of about 1 m all around this knuckle. This of
course would produce an awful U in the hedge.

I have never come accross a statutory clearance for a Ball
Strain("knuckle").All the regs I know of have to do with clearance from
live metal.I guess there MAY be one,but even if there is,one metre sounds
rather a lot to me.There are of course "statuatory" regulations and the
regs the power companies would like to enforce,such as "5 years clearence".
Two totaly different things in the eyes of the law.
This is one of the questions that you can sort out when you get the visit
from the white collar.
You'll get that before you get a copy of the regs I think ;o)

A couple of points that may help.
Are you receiving rent/compensation for the stay on your property?If you
are then permission for the stay must have been granted at some time in the
past. If your not getting any rent then....has permission been granted?
Has this stay always had a ball strain in it,or was it put there after the
hedge?
Farmers do not like stays as they make a large lump of land aukward to
plough.It is common practice for power companies to "just put it in the
hedge".Nine times out of ten nobody is any the wiser.
I have been thrown out of a private garden when doing this very job.We
thought permission had been granted.The lady comes home at dinner time and
finds 4 "bull necked" ) blokes digging up her garden.She was not amused!
This was near Essendon in Hertfordshire(just in case she's reading this
))

I obviously can't predict the outcome of this battle but it may make you
feel better to know that whenever one of these tree cutting problems
happened (NOT uncommon)to me or my fellow workers the boss would visit the
customer then give us our instructions as to what we could cut or could not
cut.
EVERY time we would complain "what is that all we can cut?It'll be up again
in a few months!! waste of time doing it, etc. etc. etc.

snip

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth