Old 19-07-2010, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rabbits destructive this year

Planted eight cauliflower plants a week ago for a fall crop. The
rabbits have sampled the leaves on every plant and have one down to
nothing but a bare stem. Sad part is: I just can't fence off every bed
in my yard. I plan to sow turnip seeds in this same bed in a couple of
weeks. I'm just wondering if the pesky rabbits will destroy them also?
Does anyone have a list of veggies that rabbits won't bother? I had
plans to use this same bed next season for zucchini and straight neck
squash.

Rich from PA

Old 19-07-2010, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/19/2010 12:19 AM, EVP MAN wrote:

Planted eight cauliflower plants a week ago for a fall crop. The
rabbits have sampled the leaves on every plant and have one down to
nothing but a bare stem. Sad part is: I just can't fence off every bed
in my yard. I plan to sow turnip seeds in this same bed in a couple of
weeks. I'm just wondering if the pesky rabbits will destroy them also?
Does anyone have a list of veggies that rabbits won't bother? I had
plans to use this same bed next season for zucchini and straight neck
squash.

Rich from PA

General rule: If it's leafy and green, you must find a way to protect
it from rabbits (I grow my chard in a little fenced yard of chicken wire
- no problems). Outside of leafy and green, I have had no problem from
the rabbits, but watch for posts from others on this topic - you may
find out a lot. IME, rabbits are the biggest probem with flowers, not
vegetables.

Tony M.
Old 19-07-2010, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

Planted eight cauliflower plants a week ago for a fall crop. The
rabbits have sampled the leaves on every plant and have one down to
nothing but a bare stem. Sad part is: I just can't fence off every bed
in my yard. I plan to sow turnip seeds in this same bed in a couple of
weeks. I'm just wondering if the pesky rabbits will destroy them also?
Does anyone have a list of veggies that rabbits won't bother? I had
plans to use this same bed next season for zucchini and straight neck
squash.

Rabbits go good with potatoes, onions and carrots. And a little wine.

Old 19-07-2010, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Many years ago an elderly lady told me to fill mason jars half full
of water, put on lids and lay on their sides in garden. Seemed to have
detered rabbits back then. No rabbits around here now though, Coyotes
took care of them up here in northern Michigan

http://community.webtv.net/viditom/FlowersJuly172006

Old 19-07-2010, 12:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN said:

Planted eight cauliflower plants a week ago for a fall crop. The
rabbits have sampled the leaves on every plant and have one down to
nothing but a bare stem. Sad part is: I just can't fence off every bed
in my yard. I plan to sow turnip seeds in this same bed in a couple of
weeks. I'm just wondering if the pesky rabbits will destroy them also?
Does anyone have a list of veggies that rabbits won't bother? I had
plans to use this same bed next season for zucchini and straight neck
squash.

Is it really not be possible to circle your plants or small beds with a
ring of chicken wire? 18" tall would suffice.

Turnips, cauliflower: no difference to rabbits. A brassica is a brassica.

As for squash, expect to see large plants with no fruit, as the rabbits
will eat the flowers / flower buds.

Last year when the little bunny breached my fence, the kohlrabi and
the squash blossoms were the main victims. Rabbits like a nice
chunk of apple even better, though, so I was able to trap it. (Trying
to chase it out the gate with the assistence of my daughter was an act
of farce.) I reinforced the fence where it had managed to squeeze
through so no repeats this year.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 20-07-2010, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

diane wrote:
Many years ago an elderly lady told me to fill mason jars half full
of water, put on lids and lay on their sides in garden. Seemed to have
detered rabbits back then.

Yes what happens is that the sun's rays are focussed by the curvature of the
jar and reflected off the water, and it zaps the rabbits, sends them away
screaming. Works every time. You can use smaller jars, such as glass
mustard pots, to get rid of mice. It also does hares in the same way. If
you leave in some mustard you get jugged hare. Be sure to wear protective
equipment when mowing though in case you forget how many jars you put out.

David

Old 20-07-2010, 07:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

In ,
EVP MAN spewed forth:
Planted eight cauliflower plants a week ago for a fall crop. The
rabbits have sampled the leaves on every plant and have one down to
nothing but a bare stem. Sad part is: I just can't fence off every
bed in my yard. I plan to sow turnip seeds in this same bed in a
couple of weeks. I'm just wondering if the pesky rabbits will
destroy them also? Does anyone have a list of veggies that rabbits
won't bother? I had plans to use this same bed next season for
zucchini and straight neck squash.

Rich from PA

Get a cat, rabbit problem solvedg

Old 20-07-2010, 10:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rabbits destructive this year (chairman)

I see three different cats prowling around the neighborhood at night and
still have plenty of destructive rabbits.

Old 20-07-2010, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In ,
EVP MAN spewed forth:
I see three different cats prowling around the neighborhood at night
and still have plenty of destructive rabbits.

they must not be hungry or don't like their owners.
i have one and he just brought one home last night and brings "something"
very very regularly and leaves it on the back patio.
Beams with pride for a little while, then eats it.
The grankids(boys) thinks it cool

Old 21-07-2010, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

ChairMan wrote:
In ,
EVP MAN spewed forth:
I see three different cats prowling around the neighborhood at night
and still have plenty of destructive rabbits.

they must not be hungry or don't like their owners.
i have one and he just brought one home last night and brings
"something" very very regularly and leaves it on the back patio.
Beams with pride for a little while, then eats it.
The grankids(boys) thinks it cool

Sadly you cannot train a cat that some prey is acceptable and others are
not, so they end up killing birds, reptiles and mammals that may warrant
preserving. While I quite like cats I will not have them where they can
prey on wildlife indiscriminately. OTOH a good dog can be taught to deal
with the bunnies and other pests and leave the others alone. And they tend
to eat in field which keeps the gore off the patio.

David

Old 21-07-2010, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:13:30 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

ChairMan wrote:
In ,
EVP MAN spewed forth:
I see three different cats prowling around the neighborhood at night
and still have plenty of destructive rabbits.

they must not be hungry or don't like their owners.
i have one and he just brought one home last night and brings
"something" very very regularly and leaves it on the back patio.
Beams with pride for a little while, then eats it.
The grankids(boys) thinks it cool

Sadly you cannot train a cat that some prey is acceptable and others are
not, so they end up killing birds, reptiles and mammals that may warrant
preserving. While I quite like cats I will not have them where they can
prey on wildlife indiscriminately. OTOH a good dog can be taught to deal
with the bunnies and other pests and leave the others alone. And they tend
to eat in field which keeps the gore off the patio.

It's the rare domestic cat that will go after rabbits, and they first
need to catch one and that is a near impossibility that a cat can out
run a rabbit. The domestic cat preys on mice, moles, frogs, and small
birds... they are not about to take on anything larger like crows,
geese and such.

Old 21-07-2010, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:13:30 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

ChairMan wrote:
In ,
EVP MAN spewed forth:
[...]

Cats do tend to take only smaller animals and birds. In some places domestic
and feral cats have contributed to driving such natives towards being
endangered or extinct. I haven't owned a cat that hunted rabbits but I have
been told of cases where they hunt kits by surprise attack near the burrow
rather than running down adults which does seem unlikely.

Old 21-07-2010, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

brooklyn1 wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:13:30 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

ChairMan wrote:
In ,
EVP MAN spewed forth:
[...]

I had a regular old domestic shorthair that stalked cottontails in such
a manner. She would bring home carcasses several times a week, many of
them adults.
Old 21-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Registered User

It is indeed very very tragic that rabbits have destroyed and done so much damage.Rabbits are going to destroy nearly all vegetables,so a fence has to be built around the garden to stop them definently
__________________
online high school
Old 21-07-2010, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(diane) wrote:

Many years ago an elderly lady told me to fill mason jars half full
of water, put on lids and lay on their sides in garden. Seemed to have
detered rabbits back then. No rabbits around here now though, Coyotes
took care of them up here in northern Michigan

http://community.webtv.net/viditom/FlowersJuly172006

Got me thinking about this. I'd guess the water on its side acts like
a prism. Slight movement and the light flashes sightly . The effect
would sort of mimic the glint of a predatory hawks eye glint.
Soft of a home made deterrent that is based on fear.

http://www.allpestexpress.com/rabbits.aspx

From above URL "spinning aluminum pie pans and glass jars of water
have been used to frighten rabbits"

--