Old 04-06-2007, 03:29 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening

Default Caring for Olea europaea (Olive) trees

Hi all,

I've just purchased two little (around 3 foot) Olive trees. They came in
little pots and im planning on re-potting them in slightly larger pots.

I would just like to know what sort of soil/compost/mix is best for these
trees? I am planning on keeping them outside and bringing them indoors for
the winter.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Chris

Old 07-06-2007, 05:01 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening

In message , ChrisP
writes
Hi all,

I've just purchased two little (around 3 foot) Olive trees. They came in
little pots and im planning on re-potting them in slightly larger pots.

I would just like to know what sort of soil/compost/mix is best for these
trees? I am planning on keeping them outside and bringing them indoors for
the winter.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

They will grow in just about any soil provided that it reasonably well
drained. We planted ours in a large terracotta pot in a mix of John
Innes No3 and coarse grit with a layer of stones on top. It looks good
(or did until a rather inquisitive badger attempted to climb it earlier
this year) and appears to thrive given just a couple of feeds early in
the year.

--
Robert