Old 05-06-2007, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best hedge trimmer?

It's that time of year again. We have hedges all the way around our
garden, a couple of them fairly high, some leylandii, mostly beech, a
few other species.

After about 20 years of looking after these hedges with a succession of
"economical" hedge trimmers I think it's time to treat myself:

What is the BEST make of hedge trimmer available?

I'm looking for:

* electric (cable -- I don't think any rechargeable will be powerful
enough do all the jobs involved, esp hacking back leylandii);

* long -- 70cm or more? My main one currently is a 50cm Bosch (which was
a hand-me-down, a long time ago)

* light and/or easily handled (old age is about to set in).

I also have a rechargeable Bosch for the quick trims - very useful, but
not so sharp these days, and no good anyway for the main trimming.

So anyway: I'd be looking at Bosch, but UK Gardeners may have other
suggestions as to make.

Cheers
john
Old 05-06-2007, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 21:13:16 +0100, Jonelle wrote:

It's that time of year again. We have hedges all the way around our
garden, a couple of them fairly high, some leylandii, mostly beech, a
few other species.

After about 20 years of looking after these hedges with a succession of
"economical" hedge trimmers I think it's time to treat myself:

What is the BEST make of hedge trimmer available?

snipped

I've had a Viking (Stihl) for a few years :-

http://www.stihl.co.uk/html/default_...tegory=product

Can't fault it - well worth the extra cost over the "economical" trimmers.
Only possible problem - it's a little on the heavy side.

HTH.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 06-06-2007, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

Re best hedge trimmer, Without a doubt a hedge trimmer on a long arm is
superior I have a Ryobi Trimmer Attachment
This does a good job in less time , I have some reservations about how long
it will last but am sure there are other similar products, (more expensive)
So much easier to use than other hedge trimmers

Old 06-06-2007, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Hugh Jampton
writes
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 21:13:16 +0100, Jonelle wrote:

It's that time of year again. We have hedges all the way around our
garden, a couple of them fairly high, some leylandii, mostly beech, a
few other species.

After about 20 years of looking after these hedges with a succession of
"economical" hedge trimmers I think it's time to treat myself:

What is the BEST make of hedge trimmer available?

snipped

I've had a Viking (Stihl) for a few years :-

http://www.stihl.co.uk/html/default_...tegory=product

Can't fault it - well worth the extra cost over the "economical" trimmers.
Only possible problem - it's a little on the heavy side.

HTH.

I agree with this - Stihl for petrol and Viking for electrically
powered, both are available as standard trimmers or long reach kit.

--
Robert
Old 07-06-2007, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Robert
writes
I've had a Viking (Stihl) for a few years :-

http://www.stihl.co.uk/html/default_...tegory=product

Can't fault it - well worth the extra cost over the "economical" trimmers.
Only possible problem - it's a little on the heavy side.

HTH.

I've had Viking one also, well three as they seem to blow or be too
expensive to repair (according to the ag. Merchants who sell them) so I
am hiring one each year for a week instead, that way is cheaper. I'd go
with Viking or Stihl though. Petrol ones too heavy, long handled ones
not good fro balance when I use them so I stick with longest ordinary
one. 28inches double edged blades I think.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 07-06-2007, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jal jal is offline

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:

... so I am hiring one each year for a week instead, that way is

cheaper....

Oh, excellent idea! Never thought of that. Thanks to all others too:
I'll be weighing up renting against buying a new Stihl/Viking.

Cheers
John
Old 08-06-2007, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , jal
writes
In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:

... so I am hiring one each year for a week instead, that way is

cheaper....

Oh, excellent idea! Never thought of that. Thanks to all others too:
I'll be weighing up renting against buying a new Stihl/Viking.

Go to one in a less built up area if you can as they have 'proper' tools
for some decent gardening rather than a lot of faffing about.
There's a good one just outside Thame if you are anywhere near there.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Hedge trimmer attachment for a John Deere "Quik-tatch" string trimmer? [email protected] Gardening 0 10-03-2014 10:07 PM
Hedge trimmer recommendations Anthony James United Kingdom 3 18-01-2004 09:05 PM
Hedge trimmer suggestions Troy United Kingdom 9 27-08-2003 06:02 PM
Hedge trimmer PJ United Kingdom 0 05-08-2003 08:32 AM
Echo HC1500 Hedge Trimmer Bruce Trull Lawns 1 08-06-2003 06:20 PM