Old 08-06-2007, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is decking safe (with regard to small children chewing it)?

Hi, I was planning to make some planters for our garden from decking
boards (from Wickes or B&Q).
As it's treated it should last a long time, however I am worried
whether this 'treatment' is harmful to small children by touching or
chewing (we have a 15 month old son and hope to have another child).
I would have thought it was safe as it's so widely used but just
wanted to double-check.
Thanks

Old 08-06-2007, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Jun, 14:13, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article . writes:

It's not safe to chew, but lots of things aren't - I doubt that even
the ubiquitous MDF is. Teach them not to chew things without permission.

Thanks, Nick.
I shall have stern words with him straight away!

Old 08-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Registered User

Generally speaking you can say its safe. The preserver is forced under pressure inside the timber and by now the carrying solvent would have evaporated. You would need to eat an awful lot of wood for it do do harm I think. Touching is not a problem.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Try painting them with chili powder paste if you have trouble :-)
|
| The decking boards or the children?

Well, I meant the boards, but it would certainly improve the palatability
of the children.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Try painting them with chili powder paste if you have trouble :-)
|
| The decking boards or the children?

Well, I meant the boards, but it would certainly improve the palatability
of the children.

Would that be roast, fried or boiled children?

Or should that be barbequed?

Old 08-06-2007, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Try painting them with chili powder paste if you have trouble :-)
|
| The decking boards or the children?

Well, I meant the boards, but it would certainly improve the palatability
of the children.

Would that be roast, fried or boiled children?

Or should that be barbequed?

sigh

Barbecued. There's no 'q' in the word.

Mary

Old 08-06-2007, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

t...

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Try painting them with chili powder paste if you have trouble :-)
|
| The decking boards or the children?

Well, I meant the boards, but it would certainly improve the
palatability
of the children.

Would that be roast, fried or boiled children?

Or should that be barbequed?

sigh

Barbecued. There's no 'q' in the word.

Mary

and I think this thread should be taken to f+d

Mary

Old 08-06-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Try painting them with chili powder paste if you have trouble :-)
|
| The decking boards or the children?

Well, I meant the boards, but it would certainly improve the
palatability
of the children.

Would that be roast, fried or boiled children?

Or should that be barbequed?

sigh

Barbecued. There's no 'q' in the word.

Mary

and I think this thread should be taken to f+d

Mary

Tee heee heeee

Judith p.s. we are on the hunt for the Omelet thing for chickens.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Try painting them with chili powder paste if you have trouble :-)

The decking boards or the children?

I would do both, my children were often a pain in the backside!(:-)

Try moving them off the furniture before you sit down.

HTH.

--
Brian

Old 09-06-2007, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" writes:

Try painting them with chili powder paste if you have trouble :-)

The decking boards or the children?

Well, I meant the boards, but it would certainly improve the
palatability of the children.

Would that be roast, fried or boiled children?

Or should that be barbequed?

Oh come on now....................be serious............you can't fit a
whole child on a BBQ spit!
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK