Old 09-06-2007, 06:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ivy that wont be killed.

a couple of years ago i went to huge expense to put in a new wooden fence.
the neighbours promptly grew rampant ivy on it, which is climbing up on to
my
shrubs my side and also forcing its way through the vertical fence panes.

i have taken to spraying the ivy thats forcing its way through the fence
panes with a ready made up solution of glyphospate systemic weed killer
which i bought a couple of years ago, but it doesnt seem to be affecting the
leaves at all. is it because its too old, or do i need to make the ivy
leaves wet before spraying them? Any other effective suggestions please?

Old 09-06-2007, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 05:00:50 GMT, "torge conrad maguar"
wrote:

a couple of years ago i went to huge expense to put in a new wooden fence.
the neighbours promptly grew rampant ivy on it, which is climbing up on to
my
shrubs my side and also forcing its way through the vertical fence panes.

i have taken to spraying the ivy thats forcing its way through the fence
panes with a ready made up solution of glyphospate systemic weed killer
which i bought a couple of years ago, but it doesnt seem to be affecting the
leaves at all. is it because its too old, or do i need to make the ivy
leaves wet before spraying them? Any other effective suggestions please?

Spraying with ammonium sulphamate (the active ingredient in stump
killers such as Root Out) kills ivy fairly effectively. Spray at the
recommended strength, wait several months (it's quite slow to take
effect) and spray again on any re-growth that appears. But don't get
it on anything else.

--
Chris

Old 09-06-2007, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"torge conrad maguar" wrote in message
a couple of years ago i went to huge expense to put in a new wooden fence.
the neighbours promptly grew rampant ivy on it, which is climbing up on to
my
shrubs my side and also forcing its way through the vertical fence panes.

i have taken to spraying the ivy thats forcing its way through the fence
panes with a ready made up solution of glyphospate systemic weed killer
which i bought a couple of years ago, but it doesnt seem to be affecting
the leaves at all. is it because its too old, or do i need to make the
ivy leaves wet before spraying them? Any other effective suggestions
please?

It's a tough beast.

We had one growing on a pier on our garden wall in the street. I pulled off
all the leaves and cut through the trunk near the ground, the upper parts
were attached too strongly to the wall to remove. I also pulled or cutt off
all branches and twigs which might touch the soil and take root.

It was a very interesting shape so I made a feature of it by spraying the
twining trunk bronze and lots of people commented on it, it gave a lot of
pleasure to passers-by.

Then, after two years, it began to grow little leaves, then more and bigger
ones, now it shrouds the wall entirely and birds are once more nesting in
it.

The base of the trunk is still not attached to its roots.

This all took three or four years.

Mary

Old 09-06-2007, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

torge conrad maguar writes
a couple of years ago i went to huge expense to put in a new wooden fence.
the neighbours promptly grew rampant ivy on it, which is climbing up on to
my
shrubs my side and also forcing its way through the vertical fence panes.

i have taken to spraying the ivy thats forcing its way through the fence
panes with a ready made up solution of glyphospate systemic weed killer
which i bought a couple of years ago, but it doesnt seem to be affecting the
leaves at all. is it because its too old, or do i need to make the ivy
leaves wet before spraying them? Any other effective suggestions please?

I presume you have already spoken to your neighbours, shown them the
damage, and asked them courteously if they can remove the ivy?

Try bruising the leaves to damage the waxy cuticle, or dipping the ends
into the glyphosate. Incidentally, while you are allowed to cut back
your neighbours overhanging plants, I don't think that extends to
allowing you to kill the plants.

--
Kay
Old 09-06-2007, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 9, 6:00 am, "torge conrad maguar"
wrote:
a couple of years ago i went to huge expense to put in a new wooden fence.
the neighbours promptly grew rampant ivy on it, which is climbing up on to
my
shrubs my side and also forcing its way through the vertical fence panes.

i have taken to spraying the ivy thats forcing its way through the fence
panes with a ready made up solution of glyphospate systemic weed killer
which i bought a couple of years ago, but it doesnt seem to be affecting the
leaves at all. is it because its too old, or do i need to make the ivy
leaves wet before spraying them? Any other effective suggestions please?

I used brushwood killer as pulling it out on my stone house in France
would have pulled out the stones, it took just two applications and
the whole lot died off.

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
tractor wont move Gregarious Dick Lawns 2 07-06-2003 01:08 AM
Red Beet wont grow Herbert Snowden Edible Gardening 4 20-05-2003 07:44 PM
Snake Traps [safe for you & wont harm the snake] james North Carolina 0 26-04-2003 02:56 AM