Old 14-06-2007, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beans

Hi all, my first visit to .gardening.

I have a long trough into which I planted a small number [7 or 8 I
think] of dwarf runner beans. I have protected with chicken wire and
provided a plastic mesh for them to climb when they decide to do so. A
couple of them seem to have started out well, but then faded for no good
reason that I can see. I have kept them watered in the dry spell and
the netting and wire keep the squirrels and birds off as far as I can
see.

Any ideas? Should I pull the faded plants up to prevent possible damage
to the others, most of which, well now only about 4 or 5 appear to be
doing quite well?

TIA

--
Beryl

Winsford, Cheshire
Old 14-06-2007, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
Hi all, my first visit to .gardening.

Hello Beryl!

It's mostly a good group but I can't help with your problem :-) No matter,
someone will.

Mary

Old 14-06-2007, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:55:14 +0100, Beryl Harwood
wrote:

Hi all, my first visit to .gardening.

I have a long trough into which I planted a small number [7 or 8 I
think] of dwarf runner beans. I have protected with chicken wire and
provided a plastic mesh for them to climb when they decide to do so. A
couple of them seem to have started out well, but then faded for no good
reason that I can see. I have kept them watered in the dry spell and
the netting and wire keep the squirrels and birds off as far as I can
see.

Any ideas? Should I pull the faded plants up to prevent possible damage
to the others, most of which, well now only about 4 or 5 appear to be
doing quite well?

If they are dwarf beans, then they will not climb!
The "fading" may be due to overcrowding. Probably best to remove the
sickly ones and give the others a chance.
What size is the trough?
What compost did you use?

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-06-2007, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

And I wouldn't worry about squirrels or birds getting at them they are not
the type of thing that attracts either of those pests, although I shouldn't
really call birds a pest!

Old 14-06-2007, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
Hi all, my first visit to .gardening.

Hello Beryl!

It's mostly a good group but I can't help with your problem :-) No matter,
someone will.

Thanks Mary,
I look forward to a helpful reply, from experience in other groups zet
folk are a mine of information on almost any topic you care to think of!

Beryl

Old 14-06-2007, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

wrote:

[...]

No, they just dig around in the compost looking for bugs and worms -
digging up the plants! [well teh squirrels are looking for nuts or seeds
scattered from the feeders]

Beryl
Old 15-06-2007, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

wrote:

[...]

Hi Pam
the trough is about 4ft by 8" at the top [tapers slightly] and 7-8"
high. I have used it before. there are two rows, 4 at teh back of
which 2 are 'poorly' and there were 2 or 3 at the front between them
with a few french marigolds to help keep off the blackfly. I have used
the same trough inprevious years for other beans with no problems. the
compost is a mixture of general purpose, worm compost with some rotted
horse manure mixed in. there may have been some older stuff as a base
as well [I alwasy mix my own wierd cocktail].
Thanks for the help
Beryl