Old 19-06-2007, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default cat wee help needed

On Jun 19, 1:54 pm, Sally Thompson
wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:27:13 +0100, Des Higgins wrote
(in article . com):

snip

We have a male cat coming into our house (we have a small neutered
female
cat so she tries to ignore it but is not big enough to fight it) and
it is
****ing on everything.

snip

Hehe; you obviously have been there and bought the tee shirt.
I do appreciate the suggestions folks btw so keep em coming.
We have spent a year trying to exclude it (locking cat flap for
extended periods of time etc.). This is a VERY persistent cat. We
even soaked it with water pistols inside the house and it came back
next day. Lately we have had to keep our cat in (a bit unkind but
nicer to teh neighbourhood mice and birds) by locking the cat flap at
night. The intruder still tries every night but has now also shifted
its attention to day time visits. We went out yesterday for an hour
and forgot to close the door of the room with the sofa (the only room
in the house downstairs that does not smell of cat ****) and it came
and ****ed on the sofa (one year old).

Des, two suggestions. One, we bought some stuff from the pet shop which
neutralised the smell and stopped the cats going in the same place. We don't
have any left and I can't remember the name except that it was pink g but
you could ask in a pet shop.

Secondly, we had problems with intact tom cats coming into the house. We
borrowed the catching cage from our local Cats Protection League and caught
three toms at different times. The first two, our local CPL paid for them to
be neutered (because they were thought to be part of a feral colony), and the
third one, we paid because quite honestly it was worth it. We were told to
release the cat in the same place that we had caught it - they tend to avoid
the area after that. You have to bait the cage with some nice tasty food
(fresh fish is good), and it is sensible to keep your own cat in otherwise
you tend to catch your own, especially if you have inquisitive ones like
ours. Technically, I suppose we are getting someone else's cat neutered
without their permission, but we did try to find out the owners, and if the
owners can't be bothered - well so be it.

Ok, this sounds like what I need to do. I will talk to the vet (to
check if willing to do it and if they have a trap to borrow).

Strangely enough, we have noticed that not many young men hang around the
back door any more either :-)

I crossed my legs when reading that.

Thanks for the suggestion

Des

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 19-06-2007, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Des Higgins writes
On Jun 19, 12:28 pm, K wrote:

A quick alternative is something called 'simple solution' - applied
liberally, it converts the smell to one of marzipan which disappears
over a few hours, and doesn't leave a residue that atttracts the cat.

Is the intruder coming through doors and windows or through the cat
flap? - if the latter, then you could consider one of those which are
controlled by a little box on your cat's collar. Bit expensive if your
cat has a habit of shedding its collar regularly.

wow; ok I will try that.

You'll find it in big pet shop chains rather than in supermarkets.

We deterred a cat by putting the flap on 'in only' - we were woken by
its banging on the flap trying to get out, so we kept it in a small cat
box for the rest of the night. It didn't come in again (although he's
still friendly to us when we meet in the garden). But that was a
neutered tom exploring and finding new varieties of cat biscuit - it
might not be effective against the hormones of an entire tom.
--
Kay
Old 19-06-2007, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote ...
We have a male cat coming into our house (we have a small neutered
female
cat so she tries to ignore it but is not big enough to fight it) and
it is
****ing on everything. Last night it got a sofa. Does anyone know
how to
neutralise the stink? I know this is a gardening group but there are
a few
sane people here who know about cats. If anyone knows how I can
discourage
the cat that would also help but I fear there is not much that can be
done
apart from catching it. We already chased it with waterpistols etc.

Des, go to a good pet store and get yourself a product called "Simple
Solution". In your case you might want to get a large 4 litre bottle! Almost
magical stuff for the purpose you describe.
I put it into an old spray bottle and spray any area I want to
clean/neutralise, I let it soak in then rub with kitchen towel. Originally
bought because we had a very old male cat that sometimes missed his high
sided litter box, he died earlier this year, and a bulimic female cat, but I
soon realised it had a use as an excellent spot cleaner for our carpets.
Even worked on engine oil after I walked some all down the hall after an oil
change on the Landrover! :-(
Indeed the Landrover was from an old heavy smoking farmer, and smelt like
it, but a good clean and a dose of Simple Solution all round the inside
cured it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-06-2007, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

Lock the cat flap until the male cat gets the hint.

Unfortunately easier said than done. you then have a confused cat who
doesn't quite understand why access to the garden has been denied. then
the imprisoned cat will just scratch scratch and scratch the at door. or,
will meow at such a deafening pitch you would welcome the intruder to come
indoors!! Am I right Des?

I had a cat who was very accepting of variable access through its cat flap.

They aren't all neurotic.

:-)

--
Brian

Old 20-06-2007, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hehe; you obviously have been there and bought the tee shirt.
I do appreciate the suggestions folks btw so keep em coming.

Simplest answer (as has already been suggested) is to get a
magnetically-controlled cat flap.

--
Brian

Old 22-06-2007, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message .com
from Des Higgins contains these words:

We have a male cat coming into our house (we have a small neutered
female
cat so she tries to ignore it but is not big enough to fight it) and
it is
****ing on everything. Last night it got a sofa. Does anyone know
how to
neutralise the stink? I know this is a gardening group but there are
a few
sane people here who know about cats. If anyone knows how I can
discourage
the cat that would also help but I fear there is not much that can be
done
apart from catching it. We already chased it with waterpistols etc.

Des feeline angry in Dublin

HI, I don't know if anyone has suggested this as I have not read the
want. My son tried it with his cat that kept peeing in the house and it
helped a great deal. i don't know if he ever repeated the treatment to
remove it altogether, but it is worth a try.

HTH
Beryl

Is a animal chaser/cat utrasonic cat deterrent harmful? [email protected] United Kingdom 3 21-04-2015 09:40 AM
wee-wee on the lawn dido22 Lawns 7 10-06-2008 10:40 PM
David Wee -- how did the date go??? :) Duncan A. McRae Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 18-07-2003 10:16 AM
David Wee -- how did the date go??? :) Duncan A. McRae Freshwater Aquaria Plants 13 14-06-2003 04:20 AM
Wee Willie Carola / Les Ponds 2 27-04-2003 05:44 PM