Old 20-06-2007, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cucumber Question

I have managed to grow some cucumber plants. They are about 5ft tall and
have many large leaves. I have quite a lot of cucumbers starting to grow but
am worried because the bottom leaves on the plants and the cucumbers at the
bottom are turning yellow and dropping off.

The plants are in grow bags in a green house. Do I need to take some of the
leaves off in the same way that you would with tomatoe plants?

Any help on this would be greatfully received as I am very new to
this.......

Old 21-06-2007, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"fox66" wrote in message
I have managed to grow some cucumber plants. They are about 5ft tall

and
have many large leaves. I have quite a lot of cucumbers starting to

grow but
am worried because the bottom leaves on the plants and the cucumbers

at the
bottom are turning yellow and dropping off.

The plants are in grow bags in a green house. Do I need to take some

of the
leaves off in the same way that you would with tomatoe plants?

Any help on this would be greatfully received as I am very new to
this.......

You may have a real problem here. Cucumbers like to be grown on a mound
or hill and this ensures that any excess moisture drains away from the
main stem where it enters the soil, otherwise you may get rotting at
the base of the main stem and a collapse of the plant. If the latter
happens there is nothing that you can do.

This site also explains the importance of good drainage:

http://www.vegetableexpert.co.uk/GrowingCucumbers.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 21-06-2007, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emrys Davies wrote:
"fox66" wrote in message
[...]

Mmm... I am growing mine in a growbag in the greenhouse, the growbag is
placed above a sump with wicks from the bag to the water, I assumed that
the plants would draw up water as they need it, the soil is all ways moist.
I have done this for the last few years with tomatoes without any problems
Is this the correct way of doing it with cucumbers?

Bazza
Old 22-06-2007, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bazza" wrote in message
Emrys Davies wrote:
"fox66" wrote in message
[...]

I would not say that what you are doing is the correct way with
cucumbers because they like to be planted on a hill or mound to ensure
good drainage away from the base of the plant, but your system may
result in good drainage and that is what matters.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 22-06-2007, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bazza" wrote in message
Emrys Davies wrote:
"fox66" wrote in message
[...]

Cucumber question AndyS Edible Gardening 1 28-07-2006 04:46 PM
cucumber question ll Edible Gardening 3 08-06-2004 04:22 PM
Help! What do I do with this cucumber? anne United Kingdom 11 22-08-2003 01:12 PM
Cucumber Problem (Sydney) Michelle Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Cucumber Problem (Sydney) Michelle Australia 2 18-03-2003 07:44 AM