Old 21-06-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning a bush

HI there

This is my first ever post to this newsgroup so first of all... Hello!

I'm not at all knowledgeable in the garden so I was hoping for some advice
on the best way to prune a bush to increase its density. However I do want
to let it grow as much as I can as I want to get it fairly high.

To be honest I'm not even sure what the name of the bush is, so any advice
there woul be greatly appreciated.

Here is a photo of said bush:

http://www.strawberryshark.co.uk/garden/garden01.html

Regards
Stephen

Old 22-06-2007, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Here is a photo of said bush:

http://www.strawberryshark.co.uk/garden/garden01.html

Regards
Stephen

Hi Stephen

The bush looks like a Photinia (Red Robin) to me and is grown for the
bright red foliage that it produces. It will grow to a height of 12
to 18 feet by 8 to 12 feet wide although the bottom of the bush is
often quite thin. During the first spring after planting, cut back
the main stems by about one-third to encourage sideshoots and a bushy
habit, thereafter, little or no routine pruning is required, other
than the removal of dead, damaged or weak growth. Once the bright red
new foliage display begins to fade, clip hedges and repeat in mid
summer.

To encourage a profusion of bright young leaves in spring and summer,
during spring shorten the stems of established specimens by upto 6" to
just above an outward-facing bud although

If you need to renovate it then try cutting hard back into the old
wood, it usually regenerates quite well.

Regards
Lynne