Old 26-06-2007, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default birds nest?

While clearing away some overgrown ivy at the weekend I came across a
nest underneath a fence panel. It's made of moss and rather strangely
small crisp packets. I thought it might be a mouse nest but looking
in I could see some old eggshells. So, anyone like to guess what it
was that actually occupied it?

Old 26-06-2007, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adder1969" wrote in message
ps.com...
While clearing away some overgrown ivy at the weekend I came across a
nest underneath a fence panel. It's made of moss and rather strangely
small crisp packets. I thought it might be a mouse nest but looking
in I could see some old eggshells. So, anyone like to guess what it
was that actually occupied it?

If it was a big nest then perhaps chicken flavour crisps?

David.

Old 26-06-2007, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:07:08 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:

"adder1969" wrote in message
oups.com...
While clearing away some overgrown ivy at the weekend I came across a
nest underneath a fence panel. It's made of moss and rather strangely
small crisp packets. I thought it might be a mouse nest but looking
in I could see some old eggshells. So, anyone like to guess what it
was that actually occupied it?

If it was a big nest then perhaps chicken flavour crisps?

The panel is near to reaching a consensus.
--

Martin

A Bird?

Old 27-06-2007, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adder1969" wrote in message
ps.com...
While clearing away some overgrown ivy at the weekend I came across a
nest underneath a fence panel. It's made of moss and rather strangely
small crisp packets. I thought it might be a mouse nest but looking
in I could see some old eggshells. So, anyone like to guess what it
was that actually occupied it?

It sounds to me like an old bumble bee nest. Their 'cells' are like small
broken eggshells. They will use all sorts of material to build their nests,
including paper and plastic. The site is the giveaway.

Mary