Old 06-07-2007, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant / Weed ID Please

You probably don't need a photo - that sounds like a mullein. In the UK it
would mostly likely be Verbascum thapsus, but perhaps things are different
in Normandy.

That's what I thought too.

Mary
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 06-07-2007, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Jul, 21:42, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
You probably don't need a photo - that sounds like a mullein. In the UK
it would mostly likely be Verbascum thapsus, but perhaps things are
different in Normandy.

My thought entirely! I grew one once but not twice. I didn't like it
at all. Slugs loved it too. My father in law help in the autumn to
rake some leaves and raked it with great vigour. Bless him ;o)

Old 06-07-2007, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Jul, 22:04, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
I'm impressed! I googled Verbascum thapsus and the photos of "Great Mullein"
look just like the plant!
Does that mean I can't post of photo of it :-( (
It is quite a spectacular plant size wise. I'm six feet and it is now taller
than me. The upper part of the flower spike seems to curl and track the sun
during the day bending towards it. On cloudy days it points straight up.

Damned! Get rid of it I tell you!! g It's so much more fun going
through the posts one by one. Still, our verbascum was shaded under
the lilac, hence it's crooked appearance and slug devastasion.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote

You probably don't need a photo - that sounds like a mullein. In the UK
it would mostly likely be Verbascum thapsus, but perhaps things are
different in Normandy.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I'm impressed! I googled Verbascum thapsus and the photos of "Great
Mullein" look just like the plant!
Does that mean I can't post of photo of it :-( (

No - photo's are awlays fun :~)
Jenny

It is quite a spectacular plant size wise. I'm six feet and it is now
taller than me. The upper part of the flower spike seems to curl and track
the sun during the day bending towards it. On cloudy days it points
straight up.
David.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 19:22:44 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:

Anyone know what these seedlings are? They are around 4 inches high and
growing rapidly. We've had lots come up in seed trays, plant pots etc. They
look vaguely familiar somehow so I pricked these three out into a pot of
their own. The seeds must have originated in the multi purpose compost. My
first thought was tomato seedlings but we've lost all ours (and the potatoes
too) to blight and whatever these are seem to be blight resistant, they were
thriving next to the dying and blighted toms.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/SharedPhotos/Hpim5556a.jpg

David.

Paeony?

Pam in Bristol

Old 07-07-2007, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"David (Normandy)" writes

In message , "David (Normandy)"
writes

May have to just leave them growing and see what they become. I like
mystery
plants. Except when it turns out I'm cultivating a monster such as deadly
nightshade! You should see the cute little wildflower I carefully
transplanted from the veg plot to the orchard. It has grown to over six
feet
with several yellow flower spikes and lots of big furry silvery leaves
which
have been largely destroyed by caterpillars - I may post of photo of it
tomorrow for identification.

You probably don't need a photo - that sounds like a mullein. In the UK it
would mostly likely be Verbascum thapsus, but perhaps things are different
in Normandy.
--

I'm impressed! I googled Verbascum thapsus and the photos of "Great Mullein"
look just like the plant!
Does that mean I can't post of photo of it :-( (

Course you can - photos are for sharing successes as well as problems
:-)

It is quite a spectacular plant size wise. I'm six feet and it is now taller
than me. The upper part of the flower spike seems to curl and track the sun
during the day bending towards it. On cloudy days it points straight up.

It seems to be a biennial, tends to die after flowering, but the seeds
will give plants that flower in the second year. So look out this year
for last year's seedlings to give you flowers next year. Mine only grow
to about 4ft.

In the UK, it has it's own special moth, the mullein moth, don't know
about France. Google and see if that's what your caterpillars are.
--
Kay
Old 07-07-2007, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly like that! They sure like munching the plant... Did you see the
photo I posted under a new thread?

David.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
[...]

And in some parts of Britain it's known as the candlewick plant.

Mary

Old 07-07-2007, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Jul, 10:11, Pam Moore wrote:
Paeony?

Pam, so close indeed!! Especially the Paeonia rockii. How could that
be David?!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 7 Jul, 10:11, Pam Moore wrote:
Paeony?

Pam, so close indeed!! Especially the Paeonia rockii. How could that
be David?!

I just tried Googling but can only find photo's of the flowers and none of
the seedlings :-(
So I can't compare. Guess I'll just have to let them grow and see what
happens.

David.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

It seems to be a biennial, tends to die after flowering, but the seeds
will give plants that flower in the second year. So look out this year
for last year's seedlings to give you flowers next year. Mine only grow
to about 4ft.

Mine self sowed themselves into my red border and grew to about 7ft!
Today I yanked them out as one had been pushed over for some reason and
the other was squeezing out some salvias!
I also have a self sown hollyhock that is flowering in all its awful
Barbara cartland pink at about 8 and a half foot high! Didn't even get
blown over in the wind!

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Jul, 21:59, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:

Here have a look at this link.

http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/db16.html

Old 08-07-2007, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 7 Jul, 10:11, Pam Moore wrote:
Paeony?

Pam, so close indeed!! Especially the Paeonia rockii. How could that
be David?!

I just tried Googling but can only find photo's of the flowers and none of
the seedlings :-(
So I can't compare. Guess I'll just have to let them grow and see what
happens.

David.

Trouble with the peony idea is that the seeds are quite large so you would
definitely know if you had sown them and mine have always taken around 2
years to germinate and it did not sound as if the pot had been around that
long, but they do resemble peony seedlings. Do let us know when you have and
answer!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 08-07-2007, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 7 Jul, 10:11, Pam Moore wrote:
Paeony?

Pam, so close indeed!! Especially the Paeonia rockii. How could that
be David?!

I just tried Googling but can only find photo's of the flowers and none of
the seedlings :-(
So I can't compare. Guess I'll just have to let them grow and see what
happens.
David.

Might take you a while, but you could trawl though this :
http://theseedsite.co.uk/db17.html
Jenny

Old 08-07-2007, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Jul, 14:11, "JennyC" wrote:
Might take you a while, but you could trawl though this :http://theseedsite.co.uk/db17.html

I given it above yesterday!! But my link is data 16 not 17 like
yours ;o)