Old 06-07-2007, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant / Weed ID Please

Anyone know what these seedlings are? They are around 4 inches high and
growing rapidly. We've had lots come up in seed trays, plant pots etc. They
look vaguely familiar somehow so I pricked these three out into a pot of
their own. The seeds must have originated in the multi purpose compost. My
first thought was tomato seedlings but we've lost all ours (and the potatoes
too) to blight and whatever these are seem to be blight resistant, they were
thriving next to the dying and blighted toms.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/SharedPhotos/Hpim5556a.jpg

David.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Anyone know what these seedlings are? They are around 4 inches high and
growing rapidly. We've had lots come up in seed trays, plant pots etc.

They
look vaguely familiar somehow so I pricked these three out into a pot of
their own. The seeds must have originated in the multi purpose compost. My
first thought was tomato seedlings but we've lost all ours (and the

potatoes
too) to blight and whatever these are seem to be blight resistant, they

were
thriving next to the dying and blighted toms.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/SharedPhotos/Hpim5556a.jpg

David.

You are right they do look like a solanum of some sort but what they are I
will leave to someone else.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 06-07-2007, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David (Normandy) wrote:

Anyone know what these seedlings are? They are around 4 inches high and
growing rapidly. We've had lots come up in seed trays, plant pots etc. They
look vaguely familiar somehow so I pricked these three out into a pot of
their own. The seeds must have originated in the multi purpose compost. My
first thought was tomato seedlings but we've lost all ours (and the potatoes
too) to blight and whatever these are seem to be blight resistant, they were
thriving next to the dying and blighted toms.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/SharedPhotos/Hpim5556a.jpg

Um. From the leaves they look like tomato seedlings except these have
reddish brown stems. If you rub your fingers on a leaf, that familiar
tomato leaf smell should confirm it otherwise I'd guess a solanum of
some kind.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Anyone know what these seedlings are? They are around 4 inches high and
growing rapidly. We've had lots come up in seed trays, plant pots etc.
They
look vaguely familiar somehow so I pricked these three out into a pot of
their own. The seeds must have originated in the multi purpose compost. My
first thought was tomato seedlings but we've lost all ours (and the
potatoes
too) to blight and whatever these are seem to be blight resistant, they
were
thriving next to the dying and blighted toms.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/SharedPhotos/Hpim5556a.jpg

David.

Hmm - nothing like tomatoes. They almost look like tree seeds ...

Mary

Old 06-07-2007, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message
David (Normandy) wrote:

[...]

I just rubbed a leaf to a pulp between my fingers and there was no smell of
tomato, in fact there was barely any smell at all.

David.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Jul, 18:22, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
Anyone know what these seedlings are? They are around 4 inches high and
growing rapidly. We've had lots come up in seed trays, plant pots etc. They
look vaguely familiar somehow so I pricked these three out into a pot of
their own. The seeds must have originated in the multi purpose compost. My
first thought was tomato seedlings but we've lost all ours (and the potatoes
too) to blight and whatever these are seem to be blight resistant, they were
thriving next to the dying and blighted toms.
http://www.avisoft.co.uk/SharedPhotos/Hpim5556a.jpg

David, look at this site, it's brilliant to find seedlings. Is there
anything around where your toms were sown which could have
'contaminated' your soil? Looks like trees like Mary said. But I
cannot find anything close to them, however they are familiar! Look at
the trefoil section.

http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/seedlings.html

Old 06-07-2007, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Anyone know what these seedlings are? They are around 4 inches high and
growing rapidly. We've had lots come up in seed trays, plant pots etc.
They
look vaguely familiar somehow so I pricked these three out into a pot of
their own. The seeds must have originated in the multi purpose compost. My
first thought was tomato seedlings but we've lost all ours (and the
potatoes
too) to blight and whatever these are seem to be blight resistant, they
were
thriving next to the dying and blighted toms.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/SharedPhotos/Hpim5556a.jpg

David.

Himalayan Balsam ?

mark

Old 06-07-2007, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Anyone know what these seedlings are? They are around 4 inches high and
growing rapidly. We've had lots come up in seed trays, plant pots etc.
They
look vaguely familiar somehow so I pricked these three out into a pot of
their own. The seeds must have originated in the multi purpose compost.
My
first thought was tomato seedlings but we've lost all ours (and the
potatoes
too) to blight and whatever these are seem to be blight resistant, they
were
thriving next to the dying and blighted toms.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/SharedPhotos/Hpim5556a.jpg

David.

Himalayan Balsam ?

mark

I don't think so, just Googled it and the leaf shape is different.

David.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 6 Jul, 18:22, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
[...]

I just browsed all the seedlings on the site but it not amongst them.

I'm convinced the 'contamination' is from the multi-purpose compost itself.
I've noticed quite a few spindly seedlings trying to grow in it as I get it
out of the bag, and have been discarding them as I used the compost, but it
is likely one or two sneaked passed my myopic vision. The "hitch-hikers"
aside it is actually quite decent compost and well liked by seeds for
germination and for potting on too. It has a nice texture.

I suppose it depends on what the "manufacturers" put into the compost and
how sterile or well composted the source is. I know tomato seeds are
notorious for passing unscathed through the composting process, but it seems
these are not they, but may be related.

David.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Anyone know what these seedlings are? They are around 4 inches high and
growing rapidly. We've had lots come up in seed trays, plant pots etc.
They
look vaguely familiar somehow so I pricked these three out into a pot of
their own. The seeds must have originated in the multi purpose compost.
My
first thought was tomato seedlings but we've lost all ours (and the
potatoes
too) to blight and whatever these are seem to be blight resistant, they
were
thriving next to the dying and blighted toms.

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/SharedPhotos/Hpim5556a.jpg

David.

Hmm - nothing like tomatoes. They almost look like tree seeds ...

Mary

May have to just leave them growing and see what they become. I like mystery
plants. Except when it turns out I'm cultivating a monster such as deadly
nightshade! You should see the cute little wildflower I carefully
transplanted from the veg plot to the orchard. It has grown to over six feet
with several yellow flower spikes and lots of big furry silvery leaves which
have been largely destroyed by caterpillars - I may post of photo of it
tomorrow for identification.

David.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , "David
(Normandy)" writes

[...]

You probably don't need a photo - that sounds like a mullein. In the UK
it would mostly likely be Verbascum thapsus, but perhaps things are
different in Normandy.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 06-07-2007, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , "David (Normandy)"
writes

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t.net...

[...]

I'm impressed! I googled Verbascum thapsus and the photos of "Great Mullein"
look just like the plant!
Does that mean I can't post of photo of it :-( (
It is quite a spectacular plant size wise. I'm six feet and it is now taller
than me. The upper part of the flower spike seems to curl and track the sun
during the day bending towards it. On cloudy days it points straight up.

David.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
"David (Normandy)" writes

[...]

The leaves are similar (but slightly different) to some French marigolds
(Tagetes) we've got in the garden. Time will tell as they grow on :-) these
seedlings look like they will make larger plants though.

If the source of the compost is other people's garden waste, or from last
years municipal bedding plants, composted, then a few mystery garden plants
(and weeds or diseases) may sneak on to the buyer of the compost.

David.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I often do that.

Except when it turns out I'm cultivating a monster such as deadly
nightshade!

It's not a monster! And the flowers are very pretty.

You should see the cute little wildflower I carefully transplanted from
the veg plot to the orchard. It has grown to over six feet with several
yellow flower spikes and lots of big furry silvery leaves which have been
largely destroyed by caterpillars - I may post of photo of it tomorrow for
identification.

Ooh yes, do!

Mary

David.