Old 28-07-2007, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default bird id

I've seen Malcolm around here recently, so ...

On Friday we spotted a group (around 6) of greenish birds walking up and
down the bark of a mature willow tree, presumably searching for insects.
Not tree creepers, not nuthatches.

They were greenish brown on the back, creamy on the tummy, perhaps with
some dark in the head region, noticeably larger than sparrows, rounded,
very bouncy, also flying across to land on the heads of some large
umbellifers. Very tit-like in behaviour, but bigger than tits.

Anyone any ideas?

Sorry about inadequacy of description, but my birdwatching is normally
limited to identifying what is emptying my birdfeeders with such
rapidity.
--
Kay
Old 28-07-2007, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
I've seen Malcolm around here recently, so ...

On Friday we spotted a group (around 6) of greenish birds walking up and
down the bark of a mature willow tree, presumably searching for insects.
Not tree creepers, not nuthatches.

They were greenish brown on the back, creamy on the tummy, perhaps with
some dark in the head region, noticeably larger than sparrows, rounded,
very bouncy, also flying across to land on the heads of some large
umbellifers. Very tit-like in behaviour, but bigger than tits.

Could they be parakeets?

Do they make a lot of noise?

Old 29-07-2007, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
I've seen Malcolm around here recently, so ...

On Friday we spotted a group (around 6) of greenish birds walking up and
down the bark of a mature willow tree, presumably searching for insects.
Not tree creepers, not nuthatches.

They were greenish brown on the back, creamy on the tummy, perhaps with
some dark in the head region, noticeably larger than sparrows, rounded,
very bouncy, also flying across to land on the heads of some large
umbellifers. Very tit-like in behaviour, but bigger than tits.

Anyone any ideas?

Sorry about inadequacy of description, but my birdwatching is normally
limited to identifying what is emptying my birdfeeders with such
rapidity.
--
Kay

What about Green Finches?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 29-07-2007, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Alan Holmes writes

"K" wrote in message
I've seen Malcolm around here recently, so ...

On Friday we spotted a group (around 6) of greenish birds walking up and
down the bark of a mature willow tree, presumably searching for insects.
Not tree creepers, not nuthatches.

They were greenish brown on the back, creamy on the tummy, perhaps with
some dark in the head region, noticeably larger than sparrows, rounded,
very bouncy, also flying across to land on the heads of some large
umbellifers. Very tit-like in behaviour, but bigger than tits.

Could they be parakeets?

Greenish brown, rather than green. And it was N Yorks - a bit far north
for parakeets.

Do they make a lot of noise?

There was a lot of noise around - not sure whether it was form them or
others. Tit-like squeaks, mainly.

--
Kay

Old 29-07-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes

"K" wrote in message
I've seen Malcolm around here recently, so ...

On Friday we spotted a group (around 6) of greenish birds walking up and
down the bark of a mature willow tree, presumably searching for insects.
Not tree creepers, not nuthatches.

They were greenish brown on the back, creamy on the tummy, perhaps with
some dark in the head region, noticeably larger than sparrows, rounded,
very bouncy, also flying across to land on the heads of some large
umbellifers. Very tit-like in behaviour, but bigger than tits.

Anyone any ideas?

Sorry about inadequacy of description, but my birdwatching is normally
limited to identifying what is emptying my birdfeeders with such
rapidity.
--

What about Green Finches?

Not as green as greenfinches, paler tummy, more rounded bird
(greenfinches are rather long in shape), no yellow wing flash, finer
beaks.

--
Kay