Old 01-08-2007, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning an Acer tree

I intend cutting off the lower branches of my Acer pseudoplatanus Prinz
Hanjery because they are too low to sit under comfortably and they also
make lawn mowing a problem.

How near to the trunk should I cut the branches and with what should I
treat the cuts in order to prevent rot and viruses.

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 16:13:24 +0100
"Emrys Davies" wrote:

I intend cutting off the lower branches of my Acer pseudoplatanus Prinz
Hanjery because they are too low to sit under comfortably and they also
make lawn mowing a problem.

How near to the trunk should I cut the branches and with what should I
treat the cuts in order to prevent rot and viruses.

Hello Emrys,

First, you should wait until the summer flush of growth is done. Early fall
is a fine time, or early spring before the buds swell. In our climate early
fall seems best. So long as the tree is not putting out new growth.

The cuts can be quite close, perhaps a quarter inch from the main trunk.
This will enable the skin to heal well. Some like to leave a larger distance,
but my opinion is it makes for a less graceful prune and has no effect on the
health. Also if you prune too far out you risk getting sucker growth from the
branch. This will be very colourful, but may defeat the purpose.

Common wisdom is currently that the wounds should be left untreated. I have
never treated any of my Acer pruning wounds, and have no ill effects.

I'm interested in how much sun your Prinz Hanjery gets, and how well it holds
its pink colour in spring. This cultivar was once thought to be a replacement
for Brilliantissimum, because its purple under-leaf offers some protection from
sun scorch and it's a slightly faster grower. Now 'Spring Gold' appears to
be gaining in popularity, perhaps because the Prinz looks a little dull in mid season?

I have 2 pink sycamores, 'Puget Pink' and 'Miracle Rose.' The former seems to
underperform a bit, the latter has dark purple leaf undersides, holds its colour
very well and doesn't seem to sun burn. I've long hesitated between the Prinz
and Brilliantissimum, finally have decided to plant the older cultivar. Well, almost.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 01-08-2007, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 16:13:24 +0100
"Emrys Davies" wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot for the sound advice.

My tree is is full sunshine until about 6.15 pm and it holds its colour
for about six weeks or thereabouts. Even now it has a pleasing
yellowish colour.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.