Old 07-08-2007, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden Shredder Recommendations

Hi all

A friend of mine recently bought a shredder for £90 (can't remember the make
off-hand) from one of the sheds and is sorely disappointed with it!
Apparently it blocks easily both with coarse greenery and small
stems/branches.
This machine does not have a separate inlet for twigs and the like and
relies on the user "broggling" the waste into the inlet with a pushing tool.
Any-old-how, can anyone recommend a garden waste shredder for a fairly busy
garden about 12m wide x 30m long stocked with a variety of shrubs, bushes
and some fruit?

TIA

Phil

Old 07-08-2007, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

A friend of mine recently bought a shredder for £90 (can't remember the
make off-hand) from one of the sheds and is sorely disappointed with it!
Apparently it blocks easily both with coarse greenery and small
stems/branches.
This machine does not have a separate inlet for twigs and the like and
relies on the user "broggling" the waste into the inlet with a pushing
tool.
Any-old-how, can anyone recommend a garden waste shredder for a fairly
busy garden about 12m wide x 30m long stocked with a variety of shrubs,
bushes and some fruit?

TIA

Phil

NOT, repeat NOT a JCB. Leave them to build tractors with gadgets on to
trundle along the roads holding up traffic.

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 07-08-2007, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

A friend of mine recently bought a shredder for £90 (can't remember the
make off-hand) from one of the sheds and is sorely disappointed with it!
Apparently it blocks easily both with coarse greenery and small
stems/branches.
This machine does not have a separate inlet for twigs and the like and
relies on the user "broggling" the waste into the inlet with a pushing
tool.
Any-old-how, can anyone recommend a garden waste shredder for a fairly
busy garden about 12m wide x 30m long stocked with a variety of shrubs,
bushes and some fruit?

TIA

Phil

Avoid Black and Deckers - I put my brand new B&D shredder into the dustbin
after a couple of weeks - that is all it was fit for! Complete rubbish. Got
fed up of unblocking it every few minutes. In retrospect I wish I'd taken it
back to Homebase and asked for my money back on the grounds that it "was not
fit for purpose".

David.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

A friend of mine recently bought a shredder for £90 (can't remember the

make
off-hand) from one of the sheds and is sorely disappointed with it!
Apparently it blocks easily both with coarse greenery and small
stems/branches.
This machine does not have a separate inlet for twigs and the like and
relies on the user "broggling" the waste into the inlet with a pushing

tool.
Any-old-how, can anyone recommend a garden waste shredder for a fairly

busy
garden about 12m wide x 30m long stocked with a variety of shrubs, bushes
and some fruit?

TIA

Phil

I seem to recommend them so often that people are going to start thinking I
have shares!
Bosch quiet shredders, the quiet being as important as Bosch as its a
different method of operation and works better.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 08-08-2007, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

"TheScullster" wrote in message

Any-old-how, can anyone recommend a garden waste shredder for a fairly
busy garden about 12m wide x 30m long stocked with a variety of shrubs,
bushes and some fruit?

NOT, repeat NOT a JCB. Leave them to build tractors with gadgets on to
trundle along the roads holding up traffic.

And also not a Performance Power from B&Q - it's their disposable range.
From what I heard shredders jam easily, many users recommend going for
the bigger, more expensive (and noisier!) models unfortunately. If
you're not going to use it enough to justify spending hundreds, maybe
you'd be better off renting one: at least it will work correctly and be
properly maintained, without your having to store it the rest of the
year.

Greg

--

No ficus = no spam

Old 08-08-2007, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 8, 10:50 am, (Gregoire Kretz) wrote:
'Mike' wrote:
"TheScullster" wrote in message

Any-old-how, can anyone recommend a garden waste shredder for a fairly
busy garden about 12m wide x 30m long stocked with a variety of shrubs,
bushes and some fruit?

NOT, repeat NOT a JCB. Leave them to build tractors with gadgets on to
trundle along the roads holding up traffic.

And also not a Performance Power from B&Q - it's their disposable range.
From what I heard shredders jam easily, many users recommend going for
the bigger, more expensive (and noisier!) models unfortunately. If
you're not going to use it enough to justify spending hundreds, maybe
you'd be better off renting one: at least it will work correctly and be
properly maintained, without your having to store it the rest of the
year.

Greg

--

No ficus = no spam

I would agree with Greg there. We had an Alco shredder and found it
of little or no use on anything that involved larger prunings. It
really was a waste of money and we got rid of it.

Judith

Old 08-08-2007, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| I seem to recommend them so often that people are going to start thinking I
| have shares!

Yes :-)

| Bosch quiet shredders, the quiet being as important as Bosch as its a
| different method of operation and works better.

Indeed. I have a 2200 and am very happy with it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

| I seem to recommend them so often that people are going to start
thinking I
| have shares!

Yes :-)

| Bosch quiet shredders, the quiet being as important as Bosch as its a
| different method of operation and works better.

Indeed. I have a 2200 and am very happy with it.

Thanks Nick and Charlie

Can you give me an idea of branch/twig diameter these will handle
comfortably please?

Phil

Old 08-08-2007, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"TheScullster" writes:

| Thanks Nick and Charlie
|
| Can you give me an idea of branch/twig diameter these will handle
| comfortably please?

The 2200, one and a half inches. Less for very hard wood.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have the Bosch 2200 Quiet Shredder.
It is really quiet, self-feeding, reliable and seldom jams. But it does
have a few drawbacks:
- is rated to handle 38mm dia wood, but if the wood has any forks or
unevenness then 25mm is really the limit
- collection bag keeps falling off
- wont shred green plants for composting; only wood
- the shreddings look like mangled half-chewed sticks; not attractive enough
to be used as a mulch

hope this helps

Davy

Old 08-08-2007, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 13:41:36 +0100, "TheScullster"

wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

| I seem to recommend them so often that people are going to start
thinking I
| have shares!

Yes :-)

| Bosch quiet shredders, the quiet being as important as Bosch as its

| different method of operation and works better.

Indeed. I have a 2200 and am very happy with it.

Thanks Nick and Charlie

Can you give me an idea of branch/twig diameter these will handle
comfortably please?

Bosch claim http://www.mowers-online.co.uk/itm01469.htm
"# Effortlessly shreds branches up to 3.8 cm in diameter"
--

Martin

Its a fair statement, if it goes through the slot it shreds!

Old 08-08-2007, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote in message
I have the Bosch 2200 Quiet Shredder.
It is really quiet, self-feeding, reliable and seldom jams. But it does
have a few drawbacks:
- is rated to handle 38mm dia wood, but if the wood has any forks or
unevenness then 25mm is really the limit
- collection bag keeps falling off
- wont shred green plants for composting; only wood
- the shreddings look like mangled half-chewed sticks; not attractive

enough
to be used as a mulch

hope this helps

Davy

Try tweaking the adjuster on the side, mine chomps stuff up and I do use it
for mulch, although I concede its not as fine as my old Alko. We use a box
to collect the shreddings as you are correct about the bag!