Old 08-08-2007, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default gloriosa rothchildiana

Hi ,i potted the tuber of gloriosa months ago and nothing at all has
happened.I potted it into john innes horizontally,it snapped into 2 pieces
when i took it out of the pot to check its growth.
Any ideas?
Thanks Keith

Old 09-08-2007, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith Kent" wrote in message
Hi ,i potted the tuber of gloriosa months ago and nothing at all has
happened.I potted it into john innes horizontally,it snapped into 2 pieces
when i took it out of the pot to check its growth.
Any ideas?
Thanks Keith

Once potted leave it alone until you see a green shoot, water sparingly
until it really gets going, once it starts to die back stop watering
completely. under no circumstances give water when not in growth, they spend
the bulk of the year below ground and dormant.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 09-08-2007, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Keith Kent" wrote in message
Hi ,i potted the tuber of gloriosa months ago and nothing at all has
happened.I potted it into john innes horizontally,it snapped into 2
pieces
when i took it out of the pot to check its growth.
Any ideas?
Thanks Keith

Once potted leave it alone until you see a green shoot, water sparingly
until it really gets going, once it starts to die back stop watering
completely. under no circumstances give water when not in growth, they
spend
the bulk of the year below ground and dormant.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Holders of National collections of Clematis viticella
and Lapageria rosea cultivars

Hi Charlie.thanks for the advise. I read on the packet of one and it says
it should be in full growth after 12 weeks.Mine has been potted since
febuary and has done nothing at all.

Thanks Keith

Old 10-08-2007, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith Kent" wrote in message
[...]

Mine also are late up this year with some pots only appearing in the last
week, watch for snails as they can mow off the emerging shoots so it looks
like nothings happening!

Old 29-08-2007, 06:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 8, 6:25 pm, "Keith Kent" wrote:
Hi ,i potted the tuber of gloriosa months ago and nothing at all has
happened.I potted it into john innes horizontally,it snapped into 2 pieces
when i took it out of the pot to check its growth.
Any ideas?
Thanks Keith

I grew up in Zimbabwe (then Rhodesia) and the Gloriosa Surperba,
( there are three varieties) the Rothchildiana comes from central
Africa where the Surperba and the Simplex more south) was at the time
the national flower. In my experience as I have grown all three they
are one and the same. They used to grow in dappled shade e.g. under a
tree .They appeared after the first rains.
But after saying that I now grow them here in Cape Town and in the
recent hot weather with very dry conditions, they are flourishing
without any shade. I have noticed that they wait for the weather to
warm up sufficiently before they awaken, so times vary. I lived in
Essex for a time, near Maldon and grew some in a pot under a tree,
once it appeared it grew very quickly. The bulbs are very brittle
hence yours breaking while handling it, but they should still grow if
you buried the pieces. In my experience with these plants they are
very hardy and need very little tending. I have discovered if you feed
them and pamper them they will reward you tenfold but having said that
if you treat them with nothing they still perform. In a few years they
will have multiplied quite a lot. Each year the corms push themselves
further and further down. So if you have them in a pot, in about 5yrs
time, you should consider planting them into the open ground.
Good luck
Dawn

Old 29-08-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Aug, 06:57, " wrote:
I grew up in Zimbabwe (then Rhodesia) and the Gloriosa Surperba,
( there are three varieties) the Rothchildiana comes from central
Africa where the Surperba and the Simplex more south) was at the time
the national flower.

(snip)

Hullo Dawn. I bought a gloriosa rothchildiana at the RHS Tatton show a
few weeks ago and planted it, in the ground, in a closed veranda, a
green house really but with a wall into the house (never know how to
describe this set up). The flowers have died now but I have 2 seed
heads and a few buds coming on. A couple of friends advised me not to
let it go to seeds, so that the bulb won't depleate the nutrients it
has for next year. Do you know if I should remove them because I don't
really want to since I love seeds and I'm currious to see if I can sow
them on (I was successful with seeds from a protea). What would you
do. Thank you.

Old 29-08-2007, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 29, 5:10 pm, La Puce wrote:
On 29 Aug, 06:57, " wrote: I grew up in Zimbabwe (then Rhodesia) and the Gloriosa Surperba,
( there are three varieties) the Rothchildiana comes from central
Africa where the Surperba and the Simplex more south) was at the time
the national flower.

(snip)

Hullo Dawn. I bought a gloriosa rothchildiana at the RHS Tatton show a
few weeks ago and planted it, in the ground, in a closed veranda, a
green house really but with a wall into the house (never know how to
describe this set up). The flowers have died now but I have 2 seed
heads and a few buds coming on. A couple of friends advised me not to
let it go to seeds, so that the bulb won't depleate the nutrients it
has for next year. Do you know if I should remove them because I don't
really want to since I love seeds and I'm currious to see if I can sow
them on (I was successful with seeds from a protea). What would you
do. Thank you.

Hi
I let the plant die back naturally, I do not cut off the seed heads
until the stalk is completely dead. Depending on how warm and dry the
atmosphere is will determine how long you sit with this unsightly
display in your flower bed. Once the stalk is dead right to ground
level it just pulls out of the ground with very little effort. Then if
the seed pods have not burst open entirely just lay them in a safe
place until they are very dry and have burst open to reveal the lovely
little red seeds. The seeds will shrivel with storing and also darken
slightly in colour. You can then plant them when you want. I think
letting them die back naturally is the thing that returns the
nutrients to the plants. I'm not an expert but self taught on this as
my Gloriosa's always come back year after year. I have even cut off
seed pods before dying back to give to friends and it has never seemed
to affect the plant. But if you only have one plant it is advisable to
let it die back then cut it off the stem. You didnt ask this , but I
would like to add that if you pollinate them yourself when they are in
flower you yield much bigger seed pods than normal. You can do this by
rubbing off a little pollen onto your finger then wipe it off onto the
little green tail which splits into three, that appears at the base of
the flower. You will have great success with Gloriosa seeds, I have.
The first year they come up dont expect them to do too much, but the
following year you should have nice sturdy plants that will give you
flowers. Hope this will help you
Dawn