Old 11-08-2007, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant Ident

Ok. The latest in the series 'Wotz in my garden'.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....emp/flower.jpg

This plant is about 2 foot high (my brain is pre-metric) and has suddenly
burst into these rather fancy flowers that look like some form of lantern.

Any ideas so I can label it up?

TIA

Mel

Old 11-08-2007, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Astral Voyager writes
Ok. The latest in the series 'Wotz in my garden'.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....emp/flower.jpg

This plant is about 2 foot high (my brain is pre-metric) and has suddenly
burst into these rather fancy flowers that look like some form of lantern.

Any ideas so I can label it up?

Fuchsia :-)

Someone else may be able to hazard a guess as to variety

--
Kay
Old 11-08-2007, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Astral Voyager" wrote in message
Ok. The latest in the series 'Wotz in my garden'.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....emp/flower.jpg

This plant is about 2 foot high (my brain is pre-metric) and has suddenly
burst into these rather fancy flowers that look like some form of lantern.

Any ideas so I can label it up?

TIA

Mel

Fuchsia

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 11-08-2007, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Astral Voyager" wrote in message
Ok. The latest in the series 'Wotz in my garden'.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....emp/flower.jpg

This plant is about 2 foot high (my brain is pre-metric) and has suddenly
burst into these rather fancy flowers that look like some form of lantern.

Any ideas so I can label it up?

TIA

Mel

It's a fuchsia, no idea of the type. There are very many.

Mary

Old 11-08-2007, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

It's a fuchsia, no idea of the type. There are very many.

Mary

Certainly are !
10,000 according to my reference book.
The serrated dark leaves, single, pale mauve and pink should narrow it
down a bit.
Pretty sure it will be one of the commoner ones.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 11-08-2007, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote:

It's a fuchsia, no idea of the type. There are very many.

Certainly are !
10,000 according to my reference book.

Which is the problem I have. Knowing nothing about plants and having
inherited a garden I am rather lost. If not for the help of others here I
would have to wade through books for each plant hoping to spot each one.
Each having so many varieties I would likely be lucky to make the match.

I am just thankful for the knowledge base here.

Mel.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Astral Voyager" wrote
Ok. The latest in the series 'Wotz in my garden'.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....emp/flower.jpg

This plant is about 2 foot high (my brain is pre-metric) and has suddenly
burst into these rather fancy flowers that look like some form of lantern.

Any ideas so I can label it up?

There are rather a lot of varieties and I suspect even an expert might have
to look hard even if it's a "hardy" Fuschia.
But how about...
http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/product/2549/1

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-08-2007, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Astral Voyager" wrote
Ok. The latest in the series 'Wotz in my garden'.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....emp/flower.jpg

This plant is about 2 foot high (my brain is pre-metric) and has suddenly
burst into these rather fancy flowers that look like some form of lantern.

Any ideas so I can label it up?

There are rather a lot of varieties and I suspect even an expert might have
to look hard even if it's a "hardy" Fuschia.
But how about...
http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/product/2549/1

I was thinking perhaps 'Mrs. Popple', but 'Beacon' would seem to be as
least as good a suggestion. Another variety with similar flowers is
'Empress of Prussia'.

For a list of "hardy" fuchsias see

http://www.communigate.co.uk/london/...a/page29.phtml

or