Old 22-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Registered User

Default Plant Ident and advice please

Hi,

I would like to move the plant shown as it has been planted far to close to my neighbours 15ft beech hedge. It has been in the garden since I moved here 7 years ago and is slowly suffering. I reckon it's some 3 feet high by 3ft wide. The trunk is about 2 inches in diameter. Could some-one identify it for me please, and recommend how I go about moving it to give it the best chance of survival?

thanks in advance

David
Attached Thumbnails
Plant Ident and advice please-plantid.jpg
Old 23-04-2006, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"tealandsilver" wrote in message

Hi,
I would like to move the plant shown as it has been planted far to
close to my neighbours 15ft beech hedge. It has been in the garden
since I moved here 7 years ago and is slowly suffering. I reckon it's
some 3 feet high by 3ft wide. The trunk is about 2 inches in diameter.
Could some-one identify it for me please, and recommend how I go about
moving it to give it the best chance of survival?
thanks in advance
David
|Filename: PlantID.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2900|

Its a yucca.
I'd tie the leaves together to make it more manageable and dig it up with as
large a rootball as possible. Replant in an upright position :~)
Try to move it on a cool day. Water well and it should be fine.
Jenny

Old 23-04-2006, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"tealandsilver" wrote in message

Hi,

I would like to move the plant shown as it has been planted far to
close to my neighbours 15ft beech hedge. It has been in the garden
since I moved here 7 years ago and is slowly suffering. I reckon it's
some 3 feet high by 3ft wide. The trunk is about 2 inches in diameter.
Could some-one identify it for me please, and recommend how I go about
moving it to give it the best chance of survival?

thanks in advance

David

|Filename: PlantID.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2900|

tealandsilver

It's very noticeable that your Yucca is searching for light and has
consequently got a slight twist on the stem.When you move it to its new home
make sure that it is leaning away from the sun. It should eventually
straighten up.

Old 23-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyC

Its a yucca.
I'd tie the leaves together to make it more manageable and dig it up with as
large a rootball as possible. Replant in an upright position :~)
Try to move it on a cool day. Water well and it should be fine.
Jenny
Thanks Jenny. Yes, it looks decidely unhappy growing at a 45 degree angle!!
I didn't realise that yuccas were hardy enough to survive Scottish winters but this one does.

regards,

David
Old 23-04-2006, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

JennyC Wrote:

Its a yucca.
I'd tie the leaves together to make it more manageable and dig it up
with as
large a rootball as possible. Replant in an upright position :~)
Try to move it on a cool day. Water well and it should be fine.
Jenny

Thanks Jenny. Yes, it looks decidely unhappy growing at a 45 degree
angle!!
I didn't realise that yuccas were hardy enough to survive Scottish
winters but this one does.
regards, David

Mine have been outside in winters of -15 and been OK :~)
Jenny

Old 23-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

It's very noticeable that your Yucca is searching for light and has
consequently got a slight twist on the stem.When you move it to its new home
make sure that it is leaning away from the sun. It should eventually
straighten up.
Thanks, Rupert. Yes it does have a pronounced twist away from the hedge. I'm going to move it into my sunny front garden well away from hedges and sheltered by a screen block wall. Hopefully it will recover from it's move.................

regards,

David
Old 24-04-2006, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"JennyC" wrote

Mine have been outside in winters of -15 and been OK :~)

Some Americans say they can't take frost, strange isn't it how the same
plant can take a frost here but not in the States. Maybe it's that we
usually get intermittent frosts, frost at night but above freezing during
the day, or they only last a couple of days, whereas they can get frosts
that last for weeks, day and night.
Another example of our Maritime type climate against their Continental type
climate perhaps.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden
"JennyC" wrote

Mine have been outside in winters of -15 and been OK :~)

Some Americans say they can't take frost, strange isn't it how the same
plant can take a frost here but not in the States. Maybe it's that we
usually get intermittent frosts, frost at night but above freezing during
the day, or they only last a couple of days, whereas they can get frosts
that last for weeks, day and night.
Another example of our Maritime type climate against their Continental type
climate perhaps.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK
There are many different species of yucca, only a few of which can be grown outdoors in the UK.

The maritime vs continental issue often goes the other way on plants like this. Some plants can survive heavy frosts provided it is dry enough, or provided it then warms nicely up in the day, or provided they have been well ripened by a hot summer preceding, or all three. For example, many cacti, yuccas, agaves, aloes, and the like grow in desert mountains where the temperature regularly falls to -10 at night in winter, which is also the dry season. But they would just rot in our damp winters.