Old 21-12-2008, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gb gb is offline

Default Another plant ident query

Any ideas.

It seems to be evergreen, the seed capsule/pods stay on all year till
the spring.

I seem to remember the flowers be pea like, but I cannot remember if
they were yellow or pink.

Its growing as a tree about 10ft tall.

www.gb-online.co.uk/dump/plant1.jpg
Old 22-12-2008, 05:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/12/08 19:56, in article ,
"gb" wrote:

Any ideas.

It seems to be evergreen, the seed capsule/pods stay on all year till
the spring.

I seem to remember the flowers be pea like, but I cannot remember if
they were yellow or pink.

Its growing as a tree about 10ft tall.

www.gb-online.co.uk/dump/plant1.jpg

Try Indigofera australis.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-12-2008, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

gb wrote:
Any ideas.

It seems to be evergreen, the seed capsule/pods stay on all year till
the spring.

I seem to remember the flowers be pea like, but I cannot remember if
they were yellow or pink.

Its growing as a tree about 10ft tall.

www.gb-online.co.uk/dump/plant1.jpg

Sophora microphylla.

--
Jeff

Old 22-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb View Post
Any ideas.

It seems to be evergreen, the seed capsule/pods stay on all year till
the spring.

I seem to remember the flowers be pea like, but I cannot remember if
they were yellow or pink.

Its growing as a tree about 10ft tall.

www.gb-online.co.uk/dump/plant1.jpg
I would guess it is Sophora of some kind. The seed pods are very similar to those on my Sophora tetraptera at home, but the leaflets on yours are larger than on mine. Mine is also inclined to defoliate somewhat in midwinter.

As for as the exact species/variety, the pictures on wikipedia aren't very helpful. Precisely the same picture is labelled as S. tetraptera on one page and S. microphylla on another. S. microphylla is the most common in cultivation, but there are also hybrids in cultivation, and in the wild, I suspect. S. macrocarpa from Chile is also found in cultivation, and is fairly similar.
Old 23-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_3_] View Post
Try Indigofera australis.
Indigofera doesn't have seedpods like that.

Old 23-12-2008, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/12/08 09:57, in article ,
"echinosum" wrote:

'Sacha[_3_ Wrote:
;825747']Try Indigofera australis.

Indigofera doesn't have seedpods like that.

My bad! I didn't look closely enough at those.

Old 23-12-2008, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moi Moi is offline

Le Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:56:14 +0000, gb a écrit :

Any ideas.

It seems to be evergreen, the seed capsule/pods stay on all year till
the spring.

I seem to remember the flowers be pea like, but I cannot remember if
they were yellow or pink.

Its growing as a tree about 10ft tall.

www.gb-online.co.uk/dump/plant1.jpg

If you can write (and read)a minimum in french, you can try
http://www.la-grille-verte.net/kekcestruc/kekindex.php
Thats's the reference in plant identifying.
Old 23-12-2008, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote in message

gb;825699 Wrote:
[...]

I sort of agree. I'm not sure it's S. microphylla because the seed pods
were too large. I'm growing some Sophora and am happy to hear that yours
sheds its leaves in midwinter. So I can stop worrying now.

s.