Old 12-08-2007, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spindle Tree

Sorry if this OT for gardening, but we have two spindle trees which my
husband struck from cuttings from a woodland spindle about seven or eight
years ago. They have never fruited, but this year there is just one green
berry, which I hope will burst into the glorious spindle berry colours later
in the year.

Has anyone else had experience of growing spindles, and is it likely that
this could be the start of something big, with lots more berries from now
on?

TIA

Daphne

Old 12-08-2007, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sorry if this OT for gardening, but we have two spindle trees which my
husband struck from cuttings from a woodland spindle about seven or eight
years ago. They have never fruited, but this year there is just one green
berry, which I hope will burst into the glorious spindle berry colours
later in the year.

Has anyone else had experience of growing spindles, and is it likely that
this could be the start of something big, with lots more berries from now
on?

I had to smile when I read this cos I have the same, mine have never done
anything at all, What ever we are doing we are both doing it wrong :-)))

kate

Old 12-08-2007, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

dafs writes
Sorry if this OT for gardening, but we have two spindle trees which my
husband struck from cuttings from a woodland spindle about seven or
eight years ago. They have never fruited, but this year there is just
one green berry, which I hope will burst into the glorious spindle
berry colours later in the year.

Has anyone else had experience of growing spindles, and is it likely
that this could be the start of something big, with lots more berries
from now on?

Dunno. But mine have had several years of setting no more than three
berries which have all fallen off before ripening. This year there are
dozens, but quite a heavy fall, so whether any will ripen, I don't know.

But growing spindle on slightly acid clay is probably asking a bit much
of it anyway. ;-)
--
Kay
Old 12-08-2007, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"dafs" wrote in message
Sorry if this OT for gardening, but we have two spindle trees which my
husband struck from cuttings from a woodland spindle about seven or eight
years ago. They have never fruited, but this year there is just one green
berry, which I hope will burst into the glorious spindle berry colours
later in the year.

Has anyone else had experience of growing spindles, and is it likely that
this could be the start of something big, with lots more berries from now
on?

I bought a shrub a few years ago and it's provided several berries every
year. Trouble is, it's part of the hedge at the bottom of the garden so I
can't see them from the house :-(

I'd like to know how to care for it though, it's getting leggy.

Mary

common spindle Willi_9 Garden Photos 0 15-12-2014 03:03 PM
spindle tree Willi Garden Photos 0 08-01-2012 05:12 PM
mower deck spindle *bearings*, generally, and 'old grasshopper ZTRspindles' in particular - repurposing dave Lawns 2 24-07-2006 05:01 AM
Red Cascade (Spindle Tree) as a bonsai Rae United Kingdom 5 01-12-2005 06:18 PM
Spindle Tree Camilla Peake United Kingdom 1 12-06-2003 10:32 PM