Old 14-08-2007, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Noisy neighbours

Pam Moore writes
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:10:16 +0100, "Barb"
wrote:

I would visit all the neighbours nearby and see what they think, and
either get a group together to call, or get one willing person to
calll and see if the owners realise what trouble they are causing.

The owners may not realise the problem. If I am upsetting someone
without knowing, I would want them to come and talk to me first, not go
around gathering support and talking about me behind my back. If the
first I heard about it was a representative of a group of neighbours
coming to call, I would feel everyone had been ganging up on me. I would
feel less part of the community, and this would affect my willingness to
be helpful in the future.
--
Kay
Old 14-08-2007, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
JennyC writes

We have a noisy neighbour in the apartment building behind our house. His
choice of music is exactly the kind of stuff we like - but NOT at his
volume
or the times he plays it (with his balcony doors wide open)

We tried a note in all the letterboxes of the flats as we are not quite
sure
which flat its coming from (there are trees that block the view) We
thought
that perhaps a shame and name campaign might work.......But it did not
help
at all.

That's not 'shame and name' though, is it, since you don't know who it is?
;-)
If he isn't aware that he's causing a nuisance, he might think your note
was referring to someone else.
Kay

True, but other people must hear it too, and we hoped for some social
control from his neighbours!
Jenny

Old 15-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Registered User

Aren't you the luck one. I had a parrot for 40 years and every sound it made was imitated including my wife calling me. You think that's funny? not when I didn't answer her. Thenthere were all the other sounds, dogs barking, dogs fighting, cats mewling, telephone, ambulances, police cars, the squealing brakes of my car, the kids playing cowboys and indians. The listy goes on, and yes it did learn to swear - it picked up "Oh Damn" from my wife and occasionally"Oh s**t" from a friend of mine. It used to say that every time it tried to bite me and missed. I used to put it in the garden to annoy my neighbours but they always ended howling with laughter at its antics.
I live in the country and the house next door is a holiday home for a London family. We have the lovely country smells of cow muck being spread over the fields, cockerels crowing. cows mooing, sheep bleating, what seems to be millions of jackdaws creating a racket etc. etc. etc. None of this is appreciated by my neighbours. And the sad thing is I am begining to lose my hearing and I don't hear it so well. There is almost bound to be a funny side to the bird if you listen for it, and it does sound as if it is comparatively new and not yet into talking.
Old 16-08-2007, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bigal" wrote in message

JennyC;739111 Wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote -
I would visit all the neighbours nearby and see what they think, and
either get a group together to call, or get one willing person to
calll and see if the owners realise what trouble they are causing.
Pam in Bristol-

[...]

Nope, Bigal, there's not a funny side. It's just a constant, *extremely*
loud, high-pitched screeching. Interestingly enough - and I don't know
whether this is just because we've had a few dull days - I haven't heard
anything since the weekend. It was particularly bad then, and I wonder
whether someone else complained?

It really was impossible to ignore - even being tolerant, friendly,
animal-loving, patient, etc. etc - and very, very irritating. I have
started keeping a record.

Fingers crossed!!! I hope they haven't just gone on hols or something and
left the bl**dy thing with someone else .... (If so, I hope that 'someone
else' strangles it!!!)

Barb

Old 16-08-2007, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Aug, 12:10, "Barb" wrote:
Hi again. I'm not sure whether this is the right group, but I lurk and post
here regularly and you seem a helpful lot! And it does relate to my garden,
as in ... I can't sit outside on a nice day!

A few doors away, the neighbours have acquired what I think is a parrot or a
cockatoo, which they regularly leave outside for an hour or two, often
several times during the day. It is incredibly noisy, with a horrible
shrieking sound, which is just as bad as a constantly barking dog. On
Saturday it was a beautiful afternoon and I had to put on earphones and
music to drown it out, so that I could sit in the garden and work/read.
Yesterday, Sunday, it was outside again at about 8.30 am.

God knows what it must be like inside their house!

I live alone, I don't know them and I don't really want to approach them
personally. It must be bothering other people, but many of them are new and
I don't know them that well, and I'm worried about going round knocking on
doors and "causing trouble" anyway. Any ideas?

I feel like paying a few quid to someone to investigate and sort it! Or
buying an airgun ... if I lean out of one of my windows, I think I can see
the corner of a cage!

Thanks folks....

Barb

heat an oven to about 200deg , and prepare some garlic , rosemary and
a few roasting potatoes......................

Old 16-08-2007, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 13, 12:10 pm, "Barb" wrote:
[...]

We have pintade outside the front bedroom windows, just about 10
metres away they belong to our lovely neighbour. She keeps them at
the far end so that they do not disturb her!!! We have got used to
them but visitors haven't and we are promised by Marie Louise that
they are all going in the freezer and that there won't be any more.
We didn't say a word to her about the noise as this is the country
after all, but she, bless her could hear them and knew we could also.

Judith

Old 16-08-2007, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nice thought, Charlie, but I don't think so. This has been going on, and
getting worse for a month or so. They've been putting it outside more and
more - so maybe they're getting fed up with it indoors?

Maybe they've finally got terminal with it and it's GONE !!!!!!

Anyway .... not a peep since Sunday ....... please, please, please, please

Barb

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Barb" wrote in message

"Bigal" wrote in message

JennyC;739111 Wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote -

Nope, Bigal, there's not a funny side. It's just a constant, *extremely*
loud, high-pitched screeching. Interestingly enough - and I don't know
whether this is just because we've had a few dull days - I haven't heard
anything since the weekend. It was particularly bad then, and I wonder
whether someone else complained?

It really was impossible to ignore - even being tolerant, friendly,
animal-loving, patient, etc. etc - and very, very irritating. I have
started keeping a record.

Fingers crossed!!! I hope they haven't just gone on hols or something and
left the bl**dy thing with someone else .... (If so, I hope that

'someone
else' strangles it!!!)

Barb

Maybe they were looking after it for someone! They may hate the thing as
much as you do :~)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 16-08-2007, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hmmm. What's parrot like to eat, then? Is it a bit like tropical, exotic
chicken??
;-)

Not much meat on it, though.....

I do have a very old cat, who I'm trying to encourage to go and do the
necessary - but all she does when it starts up is lower her ears, look
disgusted and go indoors. Not a lot of use, really.

Barb

"paddyenglishman" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old 16-08-2007, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barb" wrote
"Bigal" wrote
[...]

Print these out and take round to the owners ?
http://www.parrotparrot.com/articles/aa053001.htm
http://www.wikihow.com/Train-Parrots-to-Make-Less-Noise

Jenny "~))

http://www.parrotparrot.com/articles/aa053001.htm

Old 16-08-2007, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"paddyenglishman" wrote

heat an oven to about 200deg , and prepare some garlic , rosemary and
a few roasting potatoes......................

or Parrot Pie:
http://www.recipesource.com/misc/weird/00/rec0005.html
Jenny "~))

Old 16-08-2007, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:23:46 +0100, "Barb"
wrote:

Hmmm. What's parrot like to eat, then? Is it a bit like tropical, exotic
chicken??
;-)

Not much meat on it, though.....

Is it a Norwegian Blue pining for the forests?
--

Martin

The way it's going it sounds like it will soon be an ex-parrot, deceased,
no-more, shuffled off it's mortal coil, headed for heaven, is stiff, dead,
dearly departed. Is a late parrot.

I wonder if it's making such a racket because it's feet are nailed to it's
perch?

:-)

David.

Old 16-08-2007, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Aug, 18:20, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
The way it's going it sounds like it will soon be an ex-parrot, deceased,
no-more, shuffled off it's mortal coil, headed for heaven, is stiff, dead,
dearly departed. Is a late parrot.

'This is an ex-parrot' ... ;o)

Old 16-08-2007, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ups.com...
wrote:
The way it's going it sounds like it will soon be an ex-parrot, deceased,
no-more, shuffled off it's mortal coil, headed for heaven, is stiff,
dead,
dearly departed. Is a late parrot.

'This is an ex-parrot' ... ;o)

I still think the Monty Python "Parrot Sketch" with John Cleese is one of
the best comedy sketches ever. It still makes me chuckle when I see it. Just
wish I could remember all the terms he used to describe 'deceased'.

David.

Camellia and neighbours extension SarahH United Kingdom 16 25-11-2003 10:22 PM
Please help Screen neighbours from me keith United Kingdom 10 08-08-2003 11:04 PM
My neighbours big plum tree. dommy United Kingdom 4 03-05-2003 11:56 PM
Neighbours Mike United Kingdom 29 15-04-2003 10:57 PM
Neighbours Help Ophelia United Kingdom 55 11-04-2003 10:32 AM