Old 13-08-2007, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Noisy neighbours

Hi again. I'm not sure whether this is the right group, but I lurk and post
here regularly and you seem a helpful lot! And it does relate to my garden,
as in ... I can't sit outside on a nice day!

A few doors away, the neighbours have acquired what I think is a parrot or a
cockatoo, which they regularly leave outside for an hour or two, often
several times during the day. It is incredibly noisy, with a horrible
shrieking sound, which is just as bad as a constantly barking dog. On
Saturday it was a beautiful afternoon and I had to put on earphones and
music to drown it out, so that I could sit in the garden and work/read.
Yesterday, Sunday, it was outside again at about 8.30 am.

God knows what it must be like inside their house!

I live alone, I don't know them and I don't really want to approach them
personally. It must be bothering other people, but many of them are new and
I don't know them that well, and I'm worried about going round knocking on
doors and "causing trouble" anyway. Any ideas?

I feel like paying a few quid to someone to investigate and sort it! Or
buying an airgun ... if I lean out of one of my windows, I think I can see
the corner of a cage!

Thanks folks....

Barb

Old 13-08-2007, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barb" wrote in message

Contact the local environmental health department - it's noise pollution,
amongst other things. They'll sort it for you.

HTH

Old 13-08-2007, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:14:49 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:

"Barb" wrote in message

Contact the local environmental health department - it's noise pollution,
amongst other things. They'll sort it for you.

or teach it to swear.

:-)

Old 13-08-2007, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

Martin

Cool idea. It did occur to me that if it was a clever bird and imitated
what the neighbours say and the noises they make (...... don't go there!
....), they would be too embarrassed to put the bl**dy thing outside anyway!

If it had a good cuss occasionally, at least it would be entertaining. It
seems such a pointless thing, just sitting in a cage and screeching loudly!
At least cats and dogs have their uses, even if it's only keeping strangers
out or catching spiders ...

Uncle Marvo, I think I will contact the local council ... it's starting to
"get" to me a bit. I'll keep a diary for a few days first ...

Barb

Old 13-08-2007, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:10:16 +0100, "Barb"
wrote:

[...]

Just be more tolerant and count your blessings for having good
hearing.

Think positively.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk

All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed;
Second, it is violently opposed; and
Third, it is accepted as self-evident.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Old 13-08-2007, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

"Barb" wrote in message

Contact the local environmental health department - it's noise pollution,
amongst other things. They'll sort it for you.

HTH

I think you may be surprised at what is allowed, i.e. cockerels crowing any
time after 5.30am! it only becomes a nuisance before that time, although if
you have deep pockets and a lot of patience you may be able to establish a
nuisance after that time but it would be up to you to prove it in court, so
I think the ehd may well not be interested if its only two hours or so at a
time.
Tricky one to sort out.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-08-2007, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barb" wrote in message

Contact the local environmental health department - it's noise pollution,
amongst other things. They'll sort it for you.

HTH

I think you may be surprised at what is allowed, i.e. cockerels crowing
any
time after 5.30am! it only becomes a nuisance before that time,

Not so - if a few neighbours complain the cockerel has to be dispatched.

We had two cockerels (brothers raised from eggs), one was killed for
Christmas dinner when they began to fight, bloodily, we left the other for a
while but knew that he'd have to go eventually because we didn't want
fertile eggs from the hens.

We were concerned that his 'singing' (as one neighbour put it) might cause a
nuisance but he was only killed when the hens went to stay with a son, whose
neighbours might not have been as tolerant as ours. He's now in the fridge.

One incoming neighbour did complain and asked what he could do about it so I
sent him lots of information about what to do when you have noisy
neighbours. He didn't take it any further but in the meantime I asked
everyone in the neighbourhood how they felt about it. I was surprised at how
far the noise travelled. I was also surprised at the reaction from others,
they all said that they liked the crowing. The man behind said it was his
alarm clock, the man next door was very upset when 'Plops' wasn't around any
more.

Mary

Old 13-08-2007, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I would contact the local environmental health department they are usually
very good. They will send you a letter and a sheet to keep a diary on the
noise and will also contact the people who you have the complaint about. I
had problems with noise at night inside when my little boy was asleep. The
council were very helpful. Don't do what I did and go around andd ask them
to keep the noise down as I did and they were very rude and shut the door on
me. So I bangged on the door. I now have a harrasment notice againt me for
12 months and I am unable to speak or contact them in any form. The good
news is the house has been put on the maket and is now sold. Good luck.

Old 13-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb[_4_] View Post
A few doors away, the neighbours have acquired what I think is a parrot or a
cockatoo, which they regularly leave outside for an hour or two, often
several times during the day. It is incredibly noisy, with a horrible
shrieking sound, which is just as bad as a constantly barking dog.

Hi Barb,

Ignore people who say "learn to live with it", that is a naive, short-sighted response from someone who has obviously never experienced the level of stress that this sort of noise can create.

Here is a website that you might find helpful, http://www.nfh.org.uk/resources/Arti...oise/index.php
it's called Neighbours From Hell, and this is the first of several pages dealing with noise nuisance.

I am absolutely on your side about this, we live in a terrible "me! me! me!" society where people aren't taught consideration for others, and think that they have the right to inflict their pet/music/rows/diy/hobbies on all and sundry. I feel strongly that we all have the right to sit quietly in our own gardens, and enjoy them.

Don't get the air rifle though....... they also have the right to have a horrible noisy pet, although not, in my opinion, the right to inflict it on their neighbours.

Good luck!

Rachel
__________________
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales

Old 13-08-2007, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rachel Aitch" wrote in message

;738877']

http://tinyurl.com/25ezhe
it's called Neighbours From Hell, and this is the first of several
pages dealing with noise nuisance.

I am absolutely on your side about this, we live in a terrible "me! me!
me!" society where people aren't taught consideration for others, and
think that they have the right to inflict their
pet/music/rows/diy/hobbies on all and sundry. I feel strongly that we
all have the right to sit quietly in our own gardens, and enjoy them.

Don't get the air rifle though....... they also have the right to have
a horrible noisy pet, although not, in my opinion, the right to inflict
it on their neighbours.

I agree with all of the above.

Mary

Old 13-08-2007, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I would visit all the neighbours nearby and see what they think, and
either get a group together to call, or get one willing person to
calll and see if the owners realise what trouble they are causing.

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-08-2007, 06:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote
I would visit all the neighbours nearby and see what they think, and
either get a group together to call, or get one willing person to
calll and see if the owners realise what trouble they are causing.
Pam in Bristol

We have a noisy neighbour in the apartment building behind our house. His
choice of music is exactly the kind of stuff we like - but NOT at his volume
or the times he plays it (with his balcony doors wide open)

We tried a note in all the letterboxes of the flats as we are not quite sure
which flat its coming from (there are trees that block the view) We thought
that perhaps a shame and name campaign might work.......But it did not help
at all.

Jenny

Old 14-08-2007, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

this in , I, Marvo, say :

'Barb[_4_ Wrote:
;738877']
[...]

Well said, Rachel.

Old 14-08-2007, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

JennyC writes

We have a noisy neighbour in the apartment building behind our house. His
choice of music is exactly the kind of stuff we like - but NOT at his volume
or the times he plays it (with his balcony doors wide open)

We tried a note in all the letterboxes of the flats as we are not quite sure
which flat its coming from (there are trees that block the view) We thought
that perhaps a shame and name campaign might work.......But it did not help
at all.

That's not 'shame and name' though, is it, since you don't know who it
is? ;-)
If he isn't aware that he's causing a nuisance, he might think your note
was referring to someone else.
--
Kay

Camellia and neighbours extension SarahH United Kingdom 16 25-11-2003 10:22 PM
Please help Screen neighbours from me keith United Kingdom 10 08-08-2003 11:04 PM
My neighbours big plum tree. dommy United Kingdom 4 03-05-2003 11:56 PM
Neighbours Mike United Kingdom 29 15-04-2003 10:57 PM
Neighbours Help Ophelia United Kingdom 55 11-04-2003 10:32 AM