Old 05-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Mike

Default Neighbours

Very interesting thread about 'Neighbours from Hell' prompts me to ask
what kind of neighbours other urglers have got and to keep it On Topic,
to what degree they swap either plants, equipment or labour for each
others gardens.

As a starter, I have wonderful neighbours front and back. My garden goes
through to the road behind, which is where my garage is, so I have he
chance to have 2 'sets' of neighbours. Surplus Apples and Runner Beans
when in season have come our way, and a Bee Hive Compost Bin I made went
their way.

When braking up a lump of concrete on the gate step with a hammer and
chisel, Derek from across the road came over with his Electric Hammer
and Chisel :-)

Thought it would be nice to 'air' our opinions on the 'Good Neighbours'.

I find Neighbours from hell to be few and far between.

Or am I just lucky? :-))

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 05-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Mike

In article , Mike
writes

When braking up a lump of concrete

It did seem as if there was a brake on the proceedings, but I really
meant 'breaking'.

:-((

Old 05-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Natalie

..

I find Neighbours from hell to be few and far between.

Or am I just lucky? :-))

Mike

We too have very good neighbours :-))

Our neighbours on one side are the end of terrace and have a gate to the
alley. We in turn have a gate between our gardens, so we are able to have
access to our garden without going through our house. Extremely useful
especially when you are doing building work to the back of your house!A

The gate enables us to keep an eye on each others gardens and water when
necessary. They have a water meter, but we don't. So when their rainwater
butt is empty I allow them to use our outside tap.

We also share plants...especially the climbers between our gardens. There
is a friendly competition each year as to how many flowers my Passiflora has
on each side of the fence. Also their Clematis Armandi intertwines very
nicely with my climbers...saved me having to plant one myself ;-)

They also have an allotment and we enjoy some of their surplus produce...and
of course, there is the reciprocal feeding of each others cats!

Natalie

Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Ophelia

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Mike
writes

When braking up a lump of concrete

It did seem as if there was a brake on the proceedings, but I really
meant 'breaking'.

:-((

grin... don't worry.. I read and write typo as I bet most others here too)

Ophelia

Old 05-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Jayne

Our neighbour helped my husband unblock our drains to the septic tank
(blocked with compliments by the previous owners). He came round with drain
rods etc & helped move the icky stuff - now that is a good neighbour! Their
ducks kindly eat the slugs too.

Our other neighbour is a landscape gardener & has offered use of his
equipment (the gardening variety!!)

The chickens just look interested :-)
Jayne

Old 05-04-2003, 09:56 AM
bnd777

Until this neighbour we have always had wonderful neighbours
We always swapped all manner of produce and help and assistance what one
could not do another could etc etc
Problem is when you get one bad egg it really ruins the entire atmosphere

Old 05-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Drakanthus

Very interesting thread about 'Neighbours from Hell' prompts me to ask
what kind of neighbours other urglers have got and to keep it On Topic,
to what degree they swap either plants, equipment or labour for each
others gardens.

Mike

At our previous house I had to erect a 6 foot wall topped with barbed wire to keep
the neighbours children from damaging our plants (and worse). As an example the
kids forced the lock and broke into one of our near neighbours shed, discovered a
small can of petrol there and proceeded to burn it down, contents and all for the
hell of it. The father of the children said "It was the neighbours fault - he
shouldn't have petrol in his shed". They really were the neighbours from hell.
They were the prime reason for us moving.

Thankfully at our current house the neighbours are great. The neighbours on each
side have fair sized lawns, flower beds but no veg patch. I get all their lawn
clippings for my compost. In exchange I give them cabbages etc. I think having
good neighbours is an essential part of making a good place to live - especially
for us gardening folk who spend so much time outdoors where we are likely to come
across them.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 05-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

..
We have quiet neighbours, quite perfect in fact. We live next door to
the
churchyard. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Our nearest neighbours are over a quarter of a mile away, but all the
farmers in the surrounding area are wonderful bar one, who farms a
field on one of our boundaries. He is very careless with his
weedkiller and we find every year that over a metre inside our
boundaries starts to die off. He does the same to all the
neighbouring farmers and one took revenge last year by killing off
some of his maize. We have asked him to be more careful, but we just
get a shrug. Our main concern is to know when he does it and what he
uses because of our two precious dogs. Our youngest has this
afternoon been taken to the vet by my husband as he is suddenly far
from well and we hope and pray he has not eaten something. I am just
waiting and hoping ..............

Iris McCanna

Old 05-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Ophelia

"Barry & Iris McCanna" wrote in message Our
youngest has this
afternoon been taken to the vet by my husband as he is suddenly far
from well and we hope and pray he has not eaten something. I am just
waiting and hoping ..............

i do hope all goes well. Keeping everything crossed for you!

Ophelia

Old 05-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Mike

In article , Barry & Iris McCanna
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...

.
[...]

Iris, Colin Boswell is/was a Farmer here on the Isle of Wight at
Newchurch and farms/grows Garlic.

One of his employees asked for protective clothing whilst spraying the
fields of Garlic, this was refused and said employee was sacked.

Employee took Boswell to court for unfair dismissal. Employee not only
won the case, but Boswell was fined heavily (to such an extent that I
'believe' he had to sell his share of the farm), not only for lack of
care in providing protection for his employees and sacking same, BUT,
for using a banned chemical, so,

A) Is your farmer using a banned chemical? (I doubt it, but it might
stir things up a bit if you ask in the right places as to what he is
using)

B) Is your farmer taking proper precautions? (By the sound of it, no)

C) Have you complained to Environmental Health?

D) Have you complained via your vet?

I love these cases ;-}

Chase him.

Best wishes

Old 05-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Barry & Iris

McCanna
writes

[...]

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this. First of all, our youngest dog is a bit better. The
vet has said it is a gastric problem and he has eaten something he
shouldn't. He is nowhere near his normal self, but hopefully
tomorrow he will be when the medication takes effect. Our vet is
excellent and, yes, we have spoken to him about this problem.

No care is taken at all. The farmer does not wear any protective
clothing, not even a mask. He never does, not when liming,
weedkilling or fertilising. I have to go inside when he is spraying
as it was discovered a couple of years ago that I was allergic to
Thiruam which is one of the components of both weedkillers and
fertilisers. Gives me asthma symptoms.

Environmental Health is not very prevalent in this area of Normandie,
something we've taken up with the Mairie and councillors several
times. A Gallic shrug again! Yes, it all exists but appears is not
enforced.

Thanks for your help. We love chasing too -)

Best wishes
Iris

Old 05-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes

We have quiet neighbours, quite perfect in fact. We live next door to the
churchyard. ;-)

And we live next door to the church ;-)
The priest is a perfect gentleman, but the congregation can be a bit
noisy! Bur gardening to music is nice :-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 05-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Mike

In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Sacha
writes

We have quiet neighbours, quite perfect in fact. We live next door to the
churchyard. ;-)

And we live next door to the church ;-)
The priest is a perfect gentleman, but the congregation can be a bit
noisy! Bur gardening to music is nice :-)

When we lived in Leicester we lived next door to a small church. Very
active. Cubs, Guides, Boys Brigade, W.I., you name it they were there
:-))

Only problem was that these 'side' activities used the side door. This
side door was our side :-(( This side door had a 'closing device' which
meant that when anyone went through it, they didn't bother to close it
:-(( Why bother? Cubs, through the door BANG. More Cubs through the door
BANG. Guides the next night, through the door BANG, more Guides, BANG.
Next night W.I. BANG, next night choir practice , guess what ;-) yes
BANG and each night they didn't all arrive and leave together, so the
banging went on from say 6.00 pm to about 9.0 - 9.30.

I went and had a very quiet word with the Vicar/Padre/Chaplain whatever
he was.

A note must have been passed to all clubs etc and the self closing
device was taken off :-))

No more trouble and even apologies from them for not even thinking about
it!!

It pays to talk nicely to your neighbours :-))