Old 09-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Is your basil faulty?

My basil (many many plants) just hasn't taken off.....I've only been able to
whip up a few batches of pesto and that ain't fair. Nothing like last year's
endless supply grown in that hot sunny summer I remember well. It fits that
tomatoes are in stunningly short supply in our sodden area (and New Jersey
without tomatoes is like, well, like .....tomatoes without basil).

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7wet
Old 09-08-2003, 04:02 AM
SugarChile

Love the subject line!! Yep, my basil is just sitting there. I felt that
my transplants were stunted by the cool spring, so I did some direct seeding
as well--they sprouted, but have only grown a few inches. There's just not
enough sunshine.

At least you had some basil last year. We had severe water restrictions,
and my basil didn't make the triage cut on watering, I was just trying to
save some of the shrubs and trees.

However, despite the long snowy winter, the cold wet spring, and the current
bout of rain and cloudy skies, I am NOT complaining. It's not an ideal
growing season, but it's still better than a drought. Anything is better
than a drought.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 09-08-2003, 02:02 PM
GaryM

"SugarChile" wrote in news:GoZYa.93518
:

Love the subject line!!

Yes, who doesn't have visions of the gangly man beating the p*ss out of
his car with a broken tree branch ??? ROFL !!!

Old 09-08-2003, 04:32 PM
SugarChile

"GaryM" wrote in message
Yes, who doesn't have visions of the gangly man beating the p*ss out of
his car with a broken tree branch ??? ROFL !!!

Yep, that, and doing the "funny walk" for the German guests. Or pointing
out the view of Torkay to his deaf guest, or stuffing a kipper down his
vest. I've watched them dozens of times, and it still cracks me up.

One of life's finer pleasures, for sure!

Sue

Old 09-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Bruce Yates

Sorry to here that. I threw out 1 package of seed this year. My son
works at a local Italian restaurant and he has been coming by every 6
or 7 days so they can make their marinara sauce from the freshest
ingredients. Of course I do get a discount now when I go there to eat.

Bruce

Old 09-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Zemedelec

If you have to resort to supermarket basil, put some pennies in a cup of water
and the ends of the basil in the cup. Keep it low in the refigerator and it'll
last for several weeks if you keep the ends cut. No joke--the copper helps the
basil (or other cut plants) hydrate itself.
zemedelec
Old 09-08-2003, 06:42 PM
John DeBoo

Tyra Trevellyn wrote:

My basil (many many plants) just hasn't taken off.....I've only been able to
whip up a few batches of pesto and that ain't fair. Nothing like last year's
endless supply grown in that hot sunny summer I remember well. It fits that
tomatoes are in stunningly short supply in our sodden area (and New Jersey
without tomatoes is like, well, like .....tomatoes without basil).

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7wet

Mine is 3' tall and in a 2'x2' area. First time I've ever planted
it and it sure like our garden. Dried a few plants already, wife
tasted it & threw out the store bought stuff.
Albuquerque, Zone 7 - hot, dry, mid 90's

Old 09-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 02:55:34 GMT, "SugarChile"
wrote:

At least you had some basil last year. We had severe water restrictions,
and my basil didn't make the triage cut on watering, I was just trying to
save some of the shrubs and trees.

Same conditions here -- severe drought and water restrictions last
year; a reason for Noah to get out his boat-building equipment now.

Do you have municipal recycling in your town? Guidelines here say
bottles and cans should be "rinsed" before putting in the bin. Who can
quarrel if you fill a 2-ltr bottle at the inside tap, and complete the
"rinse" by pouring it on a plant before binning? It's not watering
plants; it's rinsing recyclables. :-)
Old 13-08-2003, 04:12 AM
Bob

"Tyra Trevellyn" wrote in message
My basil (many many plants) just hasn't taken off.....I've only been able

whip up a few batches of pesto and that ain't fair. Nothing like last

year's
endless supply grown in that hot sunny summer I remember well. It fits

that
tomatoes are in stunningly short supply in our sodden area (and New Jersey
without tomatoes is like, well, like .....tomatoes without basil).

Mine has the wilt. Apparently a fungus causes this, and from what I've read
there is no solution. So I keep losing plants. Next year I need to track
down the resistent variety the University of Hawaii has developed.

Bob