Old 09-02-2003, 12:20 PM
david

Default Soil warming

I want to run 3 soil warming cables from the same Thermostat. My question
is
....should I link them in series or in Parallel?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 09-02-2003, 12:50 PM
John Towill

"david" wrote in message
I want to run 3 soil warming cables from the same Thermostat. My

question
is
...should I link them in series or in Parallel?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

If the warming cables are, say 240 volt and the supply to them is 240 volt
then they must be run in parallel. If you run, for simple maths, say three
100 volt cables in series then their supply would need to be 300 volt. In
any case the thermostat would be connected between the supply and the
warming cables. Easier to draw than explain perhaps.
cheers
John T

Old 09-02-2003, 01:53 PM
Rod

"david" wrote in message ...
I want to run 3 soil warming cables from the same Thermostat. My question
is
...should I link them in series or in Parallel?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

If they're 240 V cables then parallel. Just check the toal load is within the rating of your thermostat.
thermostat will probably say for switching 'x' amps.
Cables may say 'x' watts. so you may have to calculate the amps, for your purposes Watts = volts x amps is near enough.

Rod

Old 11-02-2003, 12:51 AM
Neil Trotter

In article , Rod said:

"david" wrote in message ...
I want to run 3 soil warming cables from the same Thermostat. My question
is
...should I link them in series or in Parallel?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

If they're 240 V cables then parallel. Just check the toal load is within the rating of your thermostat.
thermostat will probably say for switching 'x' amps.
Cables may say 'x' watts. so you may have to calculate the amps, for your purposes Watts = volts x amps is near enough.

Watts = Volts x Amps is exactly right, or at least it was when I took
physics :-). W = IV

So to calculate Amps (current), Amps = Watts / Volts.

e.g. a gas-guzzling 3KW electric bar heater at 240V will be rated

3000 / 240 = 12.5A

HTH,

--Neil.

--