Old 23-08-2007, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Drying Onions

I could do with some advice, please! On our allotment, due to the dreadful
weather, almost
everyone's onions are very poor and have been lifted early. They've then
been leave to dry, laid out on mesh frames of one sort or another.

What exactly is this drying process? Is there any sense in leaving them out
in the open when the temperatures have dropped and it's raining almost every
day?

I've brought mine indoors, laid out on frames, in my south facing extension.
Is this a reasonable idea or a bad one?

Last year with the dry warm/hot weather it wasn't a problem but this year,
both with the Japanese onions and the main crop, it's proved a nightmare and
the crops are poor.

Regards,

John

Old 23-08-2007, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message
I could do with some advice, please! On our allotment, due to the dreadful
weather, almost
everyone's onions are very poor and have been lifted early. They've then
been leave to dry, laid out on mesh frames of one sort or another.

What exactly is this drying process? Is there any sense in leaving them
out in the open when the temperatures have dropped and it's raining almost
every
day?

I've brought mine indoors, laid out on frames, in my south facing
extension.
Is this a reasonable idea or a bad one?

Last year with the dry warm/hot weather it wasn't a problem but this year,
both with the Japanese onions and the main crop, it's proved a nightmare
and
the crops are poor.

I followed this advice
http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/Gui...ringonions.htm with good results.
Dried indoors, in a cardboard box lined with newspapers. They last for ages.
I think the stringing makes them last better, hung up on a hook on the wall
in the galley.

Old 23-08-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I followed this advicehttp://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/Guides/stringonions.htmwith good results.
Dried indoors, in a cardboard box lined with newspapers. They last for ages.
I think the stringing makes them last better, hung up on a hook on the wall
in the galley.

We constructed some rectangular wooden frames on short legs from 2x1
and then stapled hessian or other similar material across the frames.
The onions are laid on this, which means they can be put out on warm/
sunny days but taken into the garage quickly if it rains, or on damp
nights. As long as the material is tight enough to prevent the onions
sagging onto the ground, we found they dried really well over a few
weeks.

Old 23-08-2007, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Just in case anyone's wondering, I sent two similar postings today, both on
Drying Onions.

The first one I typed and sent disappeared completely into the ether (well,
ether it did or it didn't - sorry about that!) and I couldn't find it
anywhere.

Some time later I sent another post asking, basically, the same question
and, lo and behold, they both turned up at the same time!

Sorry about that, too!

Regards,

John

Old 23-08-2007, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks both of you for your replies. I string my onions as do you Uncle
Marvo and I got the idea from the same website!

I found it difficult to phrase the question so that my problem was clear to
all and your answers tell me that I failed miserably! Sorry!

If I can explain it this way, before stringing the onions for storage, which
I do exactly as you do Uncle Marvo (I got the idea from the same website a
couple of years ago!), they must be dry to avoid going rotten after they are
hung up and that was the nub of my question.

With everybody on the allotment leaving their onions out in all weathers,
and me taking them in when it rained, I began to wonder who was right and
what I was missing but, you, Crazy Horse, said in your posting, "The onions
are laid on this, which means they can be put out on warm/sunny days but
taken into the garage quickly if it rains, or on damp nights." This is what
I do and this I understand but with so many people just leaving them to the
elements I began to wonder.

I like the idea of the hessian frames so might make something similar. I use
the sides and roof of a large cage we bought years ago in which to keep our
cat after a serious operation. I removed all the side clips to produce
separate sections but these need supporting off the ground which isn't easy.

So, I'm very glad I asked the question and thank you both!

Regards,

John

"crazyhorse" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 23-08-2007, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 15:02:53 GMT, John Vanini wrote:

[...]

The 'drying' outdoors process is to do with ripening rather than just
drying. I always break the roots on mine with a fork then leave them on the
soil until the tops go dry.
I have a greenhouse so the next drying is done in there.
It's something to do with stopping growth and increasing sugar levels to
help them 'keep'.
If you don't like stringing then the tights/stocking method works as well.
Take the woman out first.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 23-08-2007, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Jim,

That's roughly what was at the back of my mind but no one on the allotment
seemed to know why they did it or at least put it into words - nor could I
find any mention in books or on websites.anywhere. Putting it in my own
words, the drying out by leaving the onions on the ground is not so much to
get the rain water off the bulb but is part of the process of getting the
plant to go dormant, ready for storing - something like drying chillies and
such? But it's, obviously, necessary to dry the bulb as regards getting rid
of excess moisture from the rain, etc., to allow the bulb to dry off before
rot starts to set in.

So, basically, it's a good idea to put the onions under cover when rain is
due and remove the cover when the sun comes out.

It all seems so obvious now (that's if I am right!!!!!) and it seems a silly
question to have asked in the first place!

Thanks again Jim.

Regards,

John

Old 24-08-2007, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim S" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 15:02:53 GMT, John Vanini wrote:

The 'drying' outdoors process is to do with ripening rather than just
drying. I always break the roots on mine with a fork then leave them on
the
soil until the tops go dry.
I have a greenhouse so the next drying is done in there.
It's something to do with stopping growth and increasing sugar levels to
help them 'keep'.
If you don't like stringing then the tights/stocking method works as well.
Take the woman out first.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
www.jimscott.co.uk

Ah Jim, the problem is my wife objects if I take women out!
Old 24-08-2007, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim S" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 15:02:53 GMT, John Vanini wrote:

The 'drying' outdoors process is to do with ripening rather than just
drying. I always break the roots on mine with a fork then leave them on
the
soil until the tops go dry.
I have a greenhouse so the next drying is done in there.
It's something to do with stopping growth and increasing sugar levels to
help them 'keep'.
If you don't like stringing then the tights/stocking method works as well.
Take the woman out first.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
www.jimscott.co.uk

Ah Jim, the problem is my wife objects if I take women out!

You must be a Southerner then.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 24-08-2007, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

This is the difference between men and women!

None of my male friends would object if I took another woman out. Their
wives and girl friends might be a bit disgusted, perhaps, but my wife would
go ballistic.

She, probably, wouldn't even speak to me for weeks - well, it does have it's
up side, then!

John