Old 23-08-2007, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Drying onions

On the allotments, where I have a plot, everybody's onions were a disaster
this year so all onions were lifted about a month early and left to dry on
frames.

For about a fortnight we had dry, sunny weather and then the rains came
again and the temperature dropped but the people left their onions, still on
the frames, out in the rain to dry off!.

Is there something about the drying off process I don't understand? Surely
they won't dry in rainy weather?

I brought mine home and put them on a frame undercover but, in spite of
this, because of the weather, the necks are still wet and unpleasant to
handle. I can't see them drying out at all and I'm sure I shall lose them.

I'm sorry if the question is a daft one but people on the allotment kept
telling me to leave the onions on the frames to dry out when the rain was
pouring down and I couldn't see the logic! A bit like concrete, setting
under water, can onions dry off outside in the rain?

I was wondering whether, in the absence of anything more suitable, whether
the onions would dry out in an oven. at a very low temperature, of course!.

Regards,

John

Old 23-08-2007, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Just in case anyone's wondering, I sent two similar postings today, both on
Drying Onions.

The first one I typed and sent disappeared completely into the ether (well,
ether it did or it didn't - sorry about that!) and I couldn't find it
anywhere.

Some time later I sent another post asking, basically, the same question
and, lo and behold, they both turned up at the same time!

Sorry about that, too!

Regards,

John