Old 26-08-2007, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cut Flowers

I am surprised at the little or no reaction to Gardeners World Special,
Sarah Raven promoting cut flowers. I thought that the program interesting
and informative and if I had a Waitrose near I would buy English grown
flowers.
As I don't watch Gardeners World all the time I missed the beginning, hope
that I did not miss too much.

kate

Old 26-08-2007, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
I am surprised at the little or no reaction to Gardeners World Special,
Sarah Raven promoting cut flowers. I thought that the program interesting
and informative and if I had a Waitrose near I would buy English grown
flowers.
As I don't watch Gardeners World all the time I missed the beginning, hope
that I did not miss too much.

kate

Haven't had time till now to read URG :~))

It was a very good program and it was something I'd never really thought
about.

I live in Holland and was discussing the program yesterday with her. She
always try to but Dutch flowers, because she also does not want to buy
flowers that have come from the other side of the globe ! We were wondering
whether ALL the flowers in Holland are actually grown here or whether some
are imported...... (Martin ??)

The thing is though that by not buying flowers or other produce from 3rd
world or developing countries, is that the people there desperately need the
revenue. it's a tricky dilemma.

For instance there was a scheme here in NL whereby one could put old pairs
of decent shoes into a container at the boot menders. These were then
shipped of to Africa for the local people. They had to stop the scheme
however because it was putting the local sandal makers out of business. they
made sandals from reed or rubber tyres and these wore out quickly and had to
be replaced often. This was a good source of income for the makers.... with
the input of decent hard wearing European footwear this all fell apart!

There was a good prog on the BBC recently about the recycling of cloths. It
explained how many people earned a living from this business by following
one child's dress through the whole process - Fascinating !!

So it's more complex than one may at first realise.

Jenny

Old 26-08-2007, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
I am surprised at the little or no reaction to Gardeners World Special,
Sarah Raven promoting cut flowers. I thought that the program interesting
and informative and if I had a Waitrose near I would buy English grown
flowers.
As I don't watch Gardeners World all the time I missed the beginning, hope
that I did not miss too much.

If it helps I didn't watch it because:

a) I don't really like sarah Raven as a presenter

and

b) There is something creep about cut flowers, little tiny plant corpses we
give to each other to show affection by presenting a reminder of death.

--
Rhiannon_s
Once you accept "because" as a valid reason the world becomes a much simpler

Old 26-08-2007, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

b) There is something creep about cut flowers, little tiny plant corpses
we
give to each other to show affection by presenting a reminder of death.

--

I think the cut flower business is one huge racket. I have told my family
that when I pop my clogs no flowers. What use would they be to me? I won't

Something else I have said, when my box is in the hearse, "Keep up with the
traffic, don't hold up the traffic" When my father died, it was in the
middle of the Summer and being who he was, it was a big do with all the
hoteliers and tradespeople out ............ and brought the town to a
standstill by the procession up the High Street, .. ssssssooooooooooo
sssssssssssssslllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooo owwwwwwwwwwww. What good
does it do?

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007 FULL. WAIT LIST OPERATING
www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. More being added daily

Old 26-08-2007, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 26 Aug, 11:56, "'Mike'" wrote:
b) There is something creep about cut flowers, little tiny plant corpses
we
give to each other to show affection by presenting a reminder of death.

--

I think the cut flower business is one huge racket. I have told my family
that when I pop my clogs no flowers. What use would they be to me? I won't
see them! If they don't do much for me when I am alive, I am pretty sure
they will do even less when I am dead!!

Something else I have said, when my box is in the hearse, "Keep up with the
traffic, don't hold up the traffic"

Mike
I'd have thought that you would have settled for a body bag in the
back of a van, what use is the expensive box and fancy car to you
after you pop your clogs.

As for the Prog, I thought it was a brilliant bit of marketing for
British grown flowers, pity they cant make a shorter version to be
shown to WI , T.W. Guild etc.
What a lot of people don't know is that most of the flowers imported
into the UK come Via Holland
The air miles are not to bad, but once they reach Holland then road
miles really mount up getting them to your local supermarket or
florist.
When I am selling cut flowers in season I usually take 80 to 100
bunches and travel just under 7 miles, they are in the customers vase
in less than 18 hours from cutting, Dahlias have a vase life of around
10 to 12 days, Chrysanths around 3 weeks, sometimes even 4 weeks.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 26-08-2007, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike
I'd have thought that you would have settled for a body bag in the
back of a van, what use is the expensive box and fancy car to you
after you pop your clogs.

Black Sack out on a Sunday night (Monday this week) and the dustbin men pick
it up early Monday (Tuesday this week) Morning :-))

Saw a lovely saying the other day "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but
nobody wants to die"

Old 26-08-2007, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rhiannon_s" wrote in message

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
I am surprised at the little or no reaction to Gardeners World Special,
Sarah Raven promoting cut flowers. I thought that the program interesting
and informative and if I had a Waitrose near I would buy English grown
flowers.
As I don't watch Gardeners World all the time I missed the beginning,
hope
that I did not miss too much.

If it helps I didn't watch it because:

a) I don't really like sarah Raven as a presenter

I sort of agree, but he was OK in this program :~))

and

b) There is something creep about cut flowers, little tiny plant corpses
we
give to each other to show affection by presenting a reminder of death.
--
Rhiannon_s

Ummmmm - I know what you mean. I feel that way about Xmas trees. But flowers
are so uplifting and make one feel so cheerful.....

Jenny

Old 26-08-2007, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rhiannon_s writes

If it helps I didn't watch it because:

a) I don't really like sarah Raven as a presenter

and

b) There is something creep about cut flowers, little tiny plant corpses we
give to each other to show affection by presenting a reminder of death.

But they're not plant corpses. They're just bits of plants.

There's a famous quote on the lines of "I like children but I don't cut
their heads off and put them into glasses of water"

...But it's not their heads that are being cut off so much as their
private parts. Except that plants can produce new private parts.
--
Kay
Old 27-08-2007, 02:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Aug, 13:06, Dave Hill wrote:
I'd have thought that you would have settled for a body bag in the
back of a van, what use is the expensive box and fancy car to you
after you pop your clogs.

I just want to be stuffed in the green wheely bin for recycling.

Old 27-08-2007, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Aug, 13:06, Dave Hill wrote:
I'd have thought that you would have settled for a body bag in the
back of a van, what use is the expensive box and fancy car to you
after you pop your clogs.

I just want to be stuffed in the green wheely bin for recycling.

I want to be chucked up top of the compost/muck heap and my husband wants to
be sprinkled on to his work shop floor :-)

kate

Old 27-08-2007, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
On 26 Aug, 13:06, Dave Hill wrote:
I'd have thought that you would have settled for a body bag in the
back of a van, what use is the expensive box and fancy car to you
after you pop your clogs.

I just want to be stuffed in the green wheely bin for recycling.

I want to be chucked up top of the compost/muck heap and my husband wants
to be sprinkled on to his work shop floor :-)

kate

I always wanted my ashes scattered at sea so that at long last I could
travel the world as I had seen so little of it, until last year that is,
when I did the Round the World Cruise on Aurora which took 3 months, then
spent another month later in the year, then earlier this year flew out to
Barbados and cruised back and with 2 more cruises booked, I am quite happy
to be chucked out in a bin bag thank you :-))

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007 FULL. WAIT LIST OPERATING
www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. More being added daily

old bluebell, tulip, daffodil foliage - to cut or not to cut?! redtail Gardening 2 04-06-2008 07:24 PM
Cut-Flower Care-How to Make Your Fresh-Cut Flowers Last O My Garden[_2_] Gardening 0 14-09-2007 06:40 AM
[IBC] To cut or not to cut that´s the question. Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 04-11-2004 01:39 PM
To cut or not to cut ? Allen Lai Lawns 4 31-10-2003 11:22 PM
To cut or not to cut .... Allen Lai Lawns 9 12-06-2003 04:56 AM