Old 30-08-2007, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default :-((Off we go again :-((

On 30/8/07 18:01, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

snip

Why don't you do as I have done, put La Puke in your killfile, I've not seen
anything from her for ages, only when someone responds to one of her posts!

For the reasons given elsewhere, Alan. If she gives bad information nobody
would correct her. The person receiving it then thinks she must be right
because nobody corrects or contradicts her, not realising that it's actually
because she's in a dozen kill files.
Had Judith been a newbie asking how to over winter an oleander in a part of
France that has viciously harsh winter temperatures, she would have taken
Puce's advice to bung it in the ground and 'keep its feet wet' because
that's what they do in Bordeaux (where the climate is totally different)
and that the watering regime was what someone advised for such plants in
pots *in the summer*. Remember - Judith was asking what to do with it in
the winter.
Puce completely missed out the advice on the site which she copied from the
net and that was to keep this plant on the dry side in winter. She would
not believe that Judith's village in France is in high mountainous country
and gets extremely cold, even though Judith explained that to her. So,
Judith's plant, which is a present she very much wants to keep alive, would
then die and Judith would be upset but Puce would be happy, because nobody
had told the theoretically newbie Judith that Puce was wrong.
A few of us were having a calm and rational discussion on the matter until I
contradicted Puce - perfectly politely - and she erupted into one of her
furies and name-calling episodes. *That's* why I don't put her in my kill
file and why she has insulted me, my husband, my marriage, my friends, my
age, my hormones and my appearance.
She was caught out yet again, talking nonsense but she absolutely cannot
withdraw, admit it, apologise or just shut up. Believe me, kill filing Puce
is doing her a favour because she can then get away with so much nonsense
and a couple of disaffected-with-urg people cheer her on.
However, as she has now made the usual vulgar exhibition of herself with no
help from anyone else, I think we can safely say that she can be left to her
own devices until she does her thing again to some other poor soul.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-08-2007, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 30/8/07 18:01, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

snip

Why don't you do as I have done, put La Puke in your killfile, I've not
seen
anything from her for ages, only when someone responds to one of her
posts!

For the reasons given elsewhere, Alan. If she gives bad information
nobody
would correct her. The person receiving it then thinks she must be right
because nobody corrects or contradicts her, not realising that it's
actually
because she's in a dozen kill files.

it's bad enough when the trolls descend upon us!!

The correct way to deal with this is to offer the advice you believe to be
correct. it is up to the OP to look at the posts and to decide based on a
number of views which is the best cause of action to take. one would hope
that enough replies are received and therefore the OP can look at the the
replies to see consistency. Judith posts on a regular basis. if what is
said about La Puce is true then Judith is more than aware of this.

I do not believe it is right that these slagging off sessions continue at
every opportunity. let's all look after our own back gardens, give advice
where applicable and let people make their own minds up.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 31, 7:47 pm, "Space" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

. uk...

On 30/8/07 18:01, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

[...]

where applicable and let people make their own minds up.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Space, I only know that I post here to learn, my knowledge is
slight. What I do know is that without doubt I would trust the advice
of Sacha and most others. I won't comment on La Puce, Google has my
opinion of her, nothing can be gained by reposting and all I want to
do here, is to learn from those who are experts, I know who they are.
I will not contribute to a thread where my feelings are recorded and
noted, so I will bow out. However, I state, firmly that I
acknoweledge Sacha's expert advice - always.

Judith

Old 01-09-2007, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/9/07 20:45, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 1/9/07 17:52, in article
,
" wrote:
snip

Hi Space, I only know that I post here to learn, my knowledge is
slight. What I do know is that without doubt I would trust the advice
of Sacha and most others. I won't comment on La Puce, Google has my
opinion of her, nothing can be gained by reposting and all I want to
do here, is to learn from those who are experts, I know who they are.
I will not contribute to a thread where my feelings are recorded and
noted, so I will bow out. However, I state, firmly that I
acknoweledge Sacha's expert advice - always.

Judith

V. kind of you, Judith but I really don't see myself as an expert! I have
some experience and where mine doesn't cover a question here, I ask the
real
experts, my husband or my step-son. But I do always say when I'm quoting
them.

You may not see yourself as an expert, but you do have considerable
knowledge and access to others with knowledge, which we all find useful.

The 'access' bit is important as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to
claim for myself something I don't have. Thanks, Alan.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/9/07 17:52, in article
,
" wrote:

On Aug 31, 7:47 pm, "Space" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

. uk...

On 30/8/07 18:01, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

snip

Why don't you do as I have done, put La Puke in your killfile, I've not
seen
anything from her for ages, only when someone responds to one of her
posts!

For the reasons given elsewhere, Alan. If she gives bad information
nobody
would correct her. The person receiving it then thinks she must be right
because nobody corrects or contradicts her, not realising that it's
actually
because she's in a dozen kill files.

it's bad enough when the trolls descend upon us!!

Sorry to answer this on the back of Judith's post but your original does not
appear on my screen. Do you, perhaps, normally post under some other name?

The correct way to deal with this is to offer the advice you believe to be
correct.

That's what I did. I said that the advice offered re oleanders in Bordeaux
was dangerous for someone planting in Judith's home's area and offered
advice I believed to be more relevant. All hell and a couple of
thunderbolts then descended on my head.

it is up to the OP to look at the posts and to decide based on a
number of views which is the best cause of action to take. one would hope
that enough replies are received and therefore the OP can look at the the
replies to see consistency. Judith posts on a regular basis. if what is
said about La Puce is true then Judith is more than aware of this.

It is up to urg and its collective individuals to make sure the advice it
offers is as good as it can be. If the OP is a total beginner with no
knowledge whatsoever and on his or her first visit to a gardening group, the
wrong advice could be lethal to their plants. It would be better for urg's
reputation if we avoid that. Judith's case was just an example and because
she's a regular she knows what to accept or discard. Newbies are not so
fortunate.

I do not believe it is right that these slagging off sessions continue at
every opportunity. let's all look after our own back gardens, give advice
where applicable and let people make their own minds up.

It would be nice not to be slagged off as old, ugly or insulted as to one's
marriage, family, husband etc. when contradicting bad advice but when that's
done to me I consider the source, as I did this time. However an OP cannot
make up their mind or consider the source, if starting from a position of
total ignorance and asking for advice the first time.

snip

Old 02-09-2007, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Sorry to answer this on the back of Judith's post but your original does
not
appear on my screen. Do you, perhaps, normally post under some other
name?

I only post under one name. I have always posted to newsgroups under the
name Space.

The correct way to deal with this is to offer the advice you believe to
be
correct.

That's what I did. I said that the advice offered re oleanders in
Bordeaux
was dangerous for someone planting in Judith's home's area and offered
advice I believed to be more relevant. All hell and a couple of
thunderbolts then descended on my head.

so you did. and yes all hell broke out however it broke out in a different
thread, and was not started by the discussion of an Oleander. It was
started/allowed to continue by La Puce offering an opinion on Mike.

but can we all learn something from this? don't answer back. let Judith
see your response, La Puce's response and then your reply to La Puce's.
anything else that comes your way - dodge! we all want the last word in a
debate. but it is sometimes better not to respond. let's not forget that we
are discussing this now under Mike's thread. His intention was to cause
trouble, and he got his own way. now - seeing as you and Mike don't get on
why did you let him get his way?

[...]

my point exactly. offer advice, where necessary/possible provide evidence
if you believe someone else to be incorrect. This can be done
constructively. at the end of the day it is Judith's and others
responsibility to ensure they have gathered enough information.

I do not believe it is right that these slagging off sessions continue
at
every opportunity. let's all look after our own back gardens, give
advice
where applicable and let people make their own minds up.

It would be nice not to be slagged off as old, ugly or insulted as to
one's
marriage, family, husband etc. when contradicting bad advice but when
that's
done to me I consider the source, as I did this time. However an OP
cannot
make up their mind or consider the source, if starting from a position of
total ignorance and asking for advice the first time.

yes- it would be nice to be treated with respect and not to be slagged off.
but don't provide any ammunition. and by that I mean if you don't
respond/retaliate the poster has nowhere to go.

Now, all that I have said is a reflection of how we should conduct
ourselves. Consider how this situation would be dealt with if it was
someone who frequented your local social club/pub etc. for me, I would fume
about the situation to my friends, not hire a microphone and announce it to
all and sundry.

I don't consider that my reflection warrants a response. to do so would
just drag out this horrid thread. Although it would seem that I am carrying
on this thread. I hope not. My intention is to stop this thread and more
importantly to stop similar threads in the future. it is boring !!!

Old 03-09-2007, 01:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message

yes- it would be nice to be treated with respect and not to be slagged
off. but don't provide any ammunition. and by that I mean if you don't
respond/retaliate the poster has nowhere to go.

That may be true if you are thinking of 'normal 'people but does not apply
when it comes to the resident troublemakers here. Both Puke and Mike simply
lie if they don't think they have the "ammunition".

I don't consider that my reflection warrants a response.

But then such a call is not up to you!

And, since I don't recall that you, or any member of your family, or your
friends have been lied about, libelled, insulted or abused on a regualar
basis why would you?

YOU try being abused in regard to your age, your gender, your medical
history, your 'reputed' hormonal status, your invented medical history, your
invented family situation, your imagined appearance and any other thing that
slips into the mind of these demented trolls.

Try that and then see if you want to give such sactimonious advice.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/9/07 01:03, in article
, "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Space" wrote in message

[...]

I would just add to this by saying that while I think Space's intentions are
good, lying is a very hard thing to deal with if one is to remain honest
oneself. Crowe has lied about me with regard to my behaviour in my
husband's business and Puce has lied so often about so many people and her
own behaviour, that it's impossible to count. Crowe is in many kill files,
so people probably aren't aware of the degree of harassment I've received
from him. At one time I could barely post anything at all here or in
another group he followed me into, without some snide or insulting remark
from him. Knowing that he has twice been told he will not be welcome on
these premises, he has again and very recently, tried to trap me into
allowing him to come here. He will be thrown out if he does.
Farm1 is right, Space, in dealing with Puce and Crowe, we are not dealing
with people for whom the normal limitations apply. What you're asking us to
do is to deal with these situations with one hand tied behind our backs
because we follow some sort of imaginary 'rule' why they behave precisely as
they wish, whoever they hurt or harry. Both have the hides of rhinos and
they simply don't care what they say to or about others. No normal, decent
person can combat that.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Space" wrote in message

snip

yes- it would be nice to be treated with respect and not to be slagged
off. but don't provide any ammunition. and by that I mean if you don't
respond/retaliate the poster has nowhere to go.

Now, all that I have said is a reflection of how we should conduct
ourselves. Consider how this situation would be dealt with if it was
someone who frequented your local social club/pub etc. for me, I would
fume about the situation to my friends, not hire a microphone and announce
it to all and sundry.

I don't consider that my reflection warrants a response. to do so would
just drag out this horrid thread. Although it would seem that I am
carrying on this thread. I hope not. My intention is to stop this thread
and more importantly to stop similar threads in the future. it is boring
!!!

Sound advice, IMO, but I fear it is unlikely to be heeded. When an
antagonistic poster learns how best to needle and manipulate a combative
opponent, that opponent finds it very difficult to ignore the 'barbs' and
sometimes even comes to think it is a sign of weakness to do so.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Sep, 09:09, "BAC" wrote:
Sound advice, IMO, but I fear it is unlikely to be heeded. When an
antagonistic poster learns how best to needle and manipulate a combative
opponent, that opponent finds it very difficult to ignore the 'barbs' and
sometimes even comes to think it is a sign of weakness to do so.

I think I've asked you to marry me once. Must have done. I think I'll
proove you wrong, only because you've given sussed, fair and good
advice for years. There. Hope it hurts ;o)

Oh, and it is I, La Puce, in disguise)