Old 27-08-2007, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sam Sam is offline

Default pollinating insects

I have had a poor season this year,for which I have blamed
the bad weather.However my neighbour says it's not due
to that but to a lack of pollinating insects, resulting in flowers
failing to set. I can't say I've seen any swifts this year either.
Swifts are African birds which follow the huge clouds of
flying insects which are blown north by the summer winds,
but no insects no swifts.
The weathermen say that the bad summer weather has
been a result of a southward shift in the jet stream from its
usual position north of the UK to one to the south, hence
the cold wet weather is pulled down over us, hence the
pollinating insects never reach us.
Well it's an hypothesis I suppose, but it's a fact that
I've had a poor season this year.
(Now go back to line one)

(sorrowful) Sam
Old 28-08-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:08:06 +0100, Sam wrote:

I have had a poor season this year,for which I have blamed
the bad weather.However my neighbour says it's not due
to that but to a lack of pollinating insects, resulting in flowers
failing to set. I can't say I've seen any swifts this year either.
Swifts are African birds which follow the huge clouds of
flying insects which are blown north by the summer winds,
but no insects no swifts.
The weathermen say that the bad summer weather has
been a result of a southward shift in the jet stream from its
usual position north of the UK to one to the south, hence
the cold wet weather is pulled down over us, hence the
pollinating insects never reach us.
Well it's an hypothesis I suppose, but it's a fact that
I've had a poor season this year.
(Now go back to line one)

(sorrowful) Sam

You could try a paintbrush AI for plants - very tedious way to to it
though.

I've mused whether the rise of oat cereals is due to the fact they'll
put up with cooler damper summers.

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Old 28-08-2007, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sam" wrote in message
I have had a poor season this year,for which I have blamed
the bad weather.However my neighbour says it's not due
to that but to a lack of pollinating insects, resulting in flowers
failing to set. I can't say I've seen any swifts this year either.
Swifts are African birds which follow the huge clouds of
flying insects which are blown north by the summer winds,
but no insects no swifts.
The weathermen say that the bad summer weather has
been a result of a southward shift in the jet stream from its
usual position north of the UK to one to the south, hence
the cold wet weather is pulled down over us, hence the
pollinating insects never reach us.
Well it's an hypothesis I suppose, but it's a fact that
I've had a poor season this year.
(Now go back to line one)

(sorrowful) Sam

There have been lots of pollinating insects in my garden in Leeds,
Yorkshire. Most pollinating insects are native and not drawn down by a
jetstream. Swifts tend to take smaller insects and not major pollinators
such as bees.

We also had the swifts nesting in our eaves, as they've done for forty odd
years.

Any disappointing harvests here have definitely been because of lack of
sunlight at the right time and too much rain. Potatoes don't need
pollinating, our worst vegetable harvests has been potatoes. We had no
blight either on potatoes or tomatoes. The tomatoes are late.

Mary

Pollinating phalaenopsis Dada Orchids 0 21-03-2004 04:44 PM
Pollinating phalaenopsis Dustin Orchids 6 21-03-2004 03:00 PM
Pollinating a Lemon Tree Kirkyboy Edible Gardening 2 10-08-2003 08:22 AM
hand pollinating question.... GardeningGuy Gardening 3 15-06-2003 02:32 PM
Pollinating Reed-Stem Epidendrums (Small Flowers). Larry Dighera Orchids 12 12-05-2003 05:44 PM