Old 28-08-2007, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gazing from the window......

this morning, I found myself idly thinking of what I would do to alter or
add to our garden, if I could. I really love it as it is so it's no big
deal but I think the one thing I'd *really* like is a stream meandering
through it. We have water just under the surface all around us, so it's
quite irritating not to have any ON the surface! ;-)
What would everyone else add, alter, take away, assuming money was no
object?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-08-2007, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
this morning, I found myself idly thinking of what I would do to alter or
add to our garden, if I could. I really love it as it is so it's no big
deal but I think the one thing I'd *really* like is a stream meandering
through it. We have water just under the surface all around us, so it's
quite irritating not to have any ON the surface! ;-)
What would everyone else add, alter, take away, assuming money was no
object?

I'd restyle into a japanese garden with a proper teahouse and pagoda. And
possible an orrery folly.
--
Rhiannon_s
Once you accept "because" as a valid reason the world becomes a much simpler

Old 28-08-2007, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/8/07 12:00, in article , "Peter"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
this morning, I found myself idly thinking of what I would do to alter or
add to our garden, if I could. I really love it as it is so it's no big
deal but I think the one thing I'd *really* like is a stream meandering
through it. We have water just under the surface all around us, so it's
quite irritating not to have any ON the surface! ;-)
What would everyone else add, alter, take away, assuming money was no
object?

Her indoors?

Add, take away? Plant? ;-))

Old 28-08-2007, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
this morning, I found myself idly thinking of what I would do to alter or
add to our garden, if I could. I really love it as it is so it's no big
deal but I think the one thing I'd *really* like is a stream meandering
through it. We have water just under the surface all around us, so it's
quite irritating not to have any ON the surface! ;-)
What would everyone else add, alter, take away, assuming money was no
object?

--
Sacha

My daughter and son in law do have a stream running through the grounds of
their house. The have the Coach House of the Old Manor House Hotel which
they have sold on and retained the grounds. The stream did sort of
'disappear but further on in the lower grounds it was a large area of boggy
wet grass. With the help of a JCB they dug a huge pond and allowed the water
to stay. The outfall of this pond, and of course the water before, feed the
Village Pond so no one has lost anything, but daughter and s.i.l have now
got a pond, complete with an Island and wildlife, Moorhens, Ducks, and the
plants to go with it, Bulrushes, Water Lily etc.

A part of the garden which was 'a waste of space' has now become a lovely
tranquil area :-))

They are at present rebuilding an old Barn which was demolished in the 1987
storm. All natural stone and internally done out in a Medieval theme.
Opening soon for private party's and one has already been tentatively
arranged for the contributors of another newsgroup I frequent.

If you have water under the surface, employ a JCB for a couple of weeks :-)

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007 FULL. WAIT LIST OPERATING
www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. More being added daily

Old 28-08-2007, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 28, 12:49 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 28/8/07 12:00, in article , "Peter"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
this morning, I found myself idly thinking of what I would do to alter or
add to our garden, if I could. I really love it as it is so it's no big
deal but I think the one thing I'd *really* like is a stream meandering
through it. We have water just under the surface all around us, so it's
quite irritating not to have any ON the surface! ;-)
What would everyone else add, alter, take away, assuming money was no
object?

Her indoors?

Add, take away? Plant? ;-))

I'm an incurable romantic, I plump for "add". What I would love to
add to my garden is 1) a roof on my half built shed (inherited from
previous owner) (this will happen in due course) and 2) a permanent
warm golden globe (I hear they call it "sun") in a permanent blue sky
with a permanent 25 degree temp during the summer.

Cat(h)

Old 28-08-2007, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 28, 3:52 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 28/8/07 15:46, in article
. com, "Cat(h)"

wrote:
On Aug 28, 12:49 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 28/8/07 12:00, in article , "Peter"

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. co.uk...
[...]

Oh come on - now you're getting into miracle territory. ;-)

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'- Hide quoted text -

You said money no object. I reckon with enough money, it should be
possible to get Ireland tugged down the Atlantic a few hundred
kilometres south. Sure, don't they build palmtree and world-shaped
islands in Dubai?

Cat(h) (oh, and I'd take out all those weeds which have crept up on me
with the wet weather)

Old 28-08-2007, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/8/07 15:54, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:35:04 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 28/8/07 12:03, in article
,
"Rhiannon_s" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
this morning, I found myself idly thinking of what I would do to alter or
add to our garden, if I could. I really love it as it is so it's no big
deal but I think the one thing I'd *really* like is a stream meandering
through it. We have water just under the surface all around us, so it's
quite irritating not to have any ON the surface! ;-)
What would everyone else add, alter, take away, assuming money was no
object?

I'd restyle into a japanese garden with a proper teahouse and pagoda. And
possible an orrery folly.

I had to look up Orrery. ;-) Do you have any photographs of what you're
thinking of and didn't someone do something similar at Chelsea a few years
ago?
This is the Japanese garden at Huntington Gardens, CA. We thought it was
wonderful:
http://tinyurl.com/2xplff

Ooh, that brought back memories! I've been there [mumble] years ago and I
agree it was wonderful.

We loved those 'cloud pruned' trees. (I don't know if that's the proper
term) But apparently they're enormously expensive.

Old 28-08-2007, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/8/07 16:05, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Aug 28, 3:52 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 28/8/07 15:46, in article
. com, "Cat(h)"

wrote:
On Aug 28, 12:49 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 28/8/07 12:00, in article , "Peter"

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

You'd need a very long rope....

Cat(h) (oh, and I'd take out all those weeds which have crept up on me
with the wet weather)

Now you *are* into miracles!

Old 28-08-2007, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 28/8/07 16:05, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Aug 28, 3:52 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 28/8/07 15:46, in article
. com, "Cat(h)"

wrote:
On Aug 28, 12:49 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 28/8/07 12:00, in article , "Peter"

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Wouldn't it be wonderful if miracles 'did' happen?

Peace on Earth (newsgroups)?

""I think not"" :-(

Old 28-08-2007, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/8/07 15:54, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:35:04 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

snip

I had to look up Orrery. ;-) Do you have any photographs of what you're
thinking of and didn't someone do something similar at Chelsea a few years
ago?
This is the Japanese garden at Huntington Gardens, CA. We thought it was
wonderful:
http://tinyurl.com/2xplff

Ooh, that brought back memories! I've been there [mumble] years ago and I
agree it was wonderful.

Apparently, the key was having a Japanese designer involved from the get-go
and I think I remember we were told that a Japanese looks after it or
oversees it, or something.

Old 28-08-2007, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 28, 4:29 pm, Sacha wrote:

You said money no object. I reckon with enough money, it should be
possible to get Ireland tugged down the Atlantic a few hundred
kilometres south. Sure, don't they build palmtree and world-shaped
islands in Dubai?

You'd need a very long rope....

Hmmm.. I can see you are one of these people for whom the glass is
always half empty.

Cat(h) (oh, and I'd take out all those weeds which have crept up on me
with the wet weather)

Now you *are* into miracles!

Oh, I'm hoping to get back on top. The fight is merciless, but dry
week ends only. Many centuries ago, they used to have that kind of
rules for wars.

Cat(h)

Crystal ball gazing Nick Maclaren[_3_] United Kingdom 13 10-03-2014 07:43 PM
gazing balls Barbara Yanus Gardening 13 17-07-2003 11:52 PM
Gazing Balls; was The rain clear the green water???? Why??? Tom La Bron Ponds 0 05-04-2003 04:44 AM
Orchids in the Kitchen window Douglas Bolt Orchids 42 27-02-2003 11:48 PM
Seed starting in sunny window: additional light required Tim B Gardening 1 27-01-2003 07:06 PM