Old 27-09-2007, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Unknown tree and shrubs

Please can anyone ID these for us? We saw them in Turkey. The one that
looks a bit like a Pittosporum tobira isn't but we did wonder if it could be
related.

http://i23.tinypic.com/rqw3zd.jpg[/IMG]
http://i24.tinypic.com/znyhv.jpg[/IMG]
http://i23.tinypic.com/idf6g2.jpg[/IMG]
http://i20.tinypic.com/vhx7ut.jpg[/IMG]

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-09-2007, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:14:12 +0100, Sacha

wrote:

Please can anyone ID these for us? We saw them in Turkey.

How was the weather etc? My daughter wants to go to Turkey for a holiday
in the
next couple of weeks.
--

Martin

The weather has always been great when I have been there. Been there quite a
few times, was there just before last Christmas on one of my cruises. Have a
friend has an apartment out there :-) Not got round to using it, but the
invitation is there. Even looking at having one myself the country is that
nice :-))

Tell your daughter she must visit Ephesus and think back a few hundred years
to when it was a big city :-)
She will 'love' Turkey :-)

Great country lovely people.

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 27-09-2007, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Please can anyone ID these for us? We saw them in Turkey.

How was the weather etc? My daughter wants to go to Turkey for a holiday in
the
next couple of weeks.

It was lovely, Martin but we were beginning to get some cool evenings and
early mornings, so a wrap or jersey would be useful then. Once the sun came
up it was very warm and daytime temps were in the mid to high 80s. We were
in a hotel (Dalyan Resort Hotel) which is right on the river so there was
usually a breeze channelling up that. Friends of ours who have a villa
there were going out today for 3 weeks, so I think it must be pretty good,
as they know the area well. Certainly we did all sunbathing under a
parasol. I remember that when I was sailing there in October once, we were
happily swimming in the sea and it was still very warm, though after the
middle of October the weather can change and become quite rainy.
Tell her to remember to take £10 per person (£10 notes each not larger notes
as each person goes to the visa desk separately) for entry visas and not to
try to pay that in Turkish lire, either. It may also be worth negotiating
bookings with the hotel and not through an agent. We were quoted an extra
£490 to upgrade to a suite and when we got to the hotel itself we discovered
it was actually 20 Lire per room, per night extra, which is about £8, thus
costing £96 for the twelve nights they had a suite empty!
If she hasn't been before, I'm sure your daughter will love it but she would
need to pick her resort carefully. Marmaris, Bodrum and Kusadasi are
pulsating with tourists and Gocek and Fethiye are going that way, though
Gocek is a bit posher, being a marina. Dalyan is quiet and still very much
a small town.

Old 27-09-2007, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

Kusadasi are
pulsating with tourists

Have to agree with Sacha there. The cruise ships come in there :-(( and it
is 'touristy' to the 'n'th degree. I have been there a few times and seen
the jetty enlarged for the 'Commercial Interest' of tourism :-(( and as
usual in these places, you are 'channelled out' through the shops etc
:-( I must point out thought, that Turkey is not the only place to do
this, when we were on our World Cruise last year, and when we went to the
Caribbean earlier this year, we found the same in many many many places. GET
AWAY and out into the country and see the REAL people of the country.

Having said that and 'knocked' the touristy thing around the World, Devon
and Cornwall are just as bad :-((

Mike

Old 27-09-2007, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Please can anyone ID these for us? We saw them in Turkey. The one that
looks a bit like a Pittosporum tobira isn't but we did wonder if it could
be
related.

http://i24.tinypic.com/znyhv.jpg

looks like the shape of the leaves on our recently acquire Alder tree

Old 27-09-2007, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ageless" wrote in message
m...

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Please can anyone ID these for us? We saw them in Turkey. The one that
looks a bit like a Pittosporum tobira isn't but we did wonder if it could
be
related.

http://i24.tinypic.com/znyhv.jpg

looks like the shape of the leaves on our recently acquire Alder tree

I should say Alnus Glu imperialis

Old 27-09-2007, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Glad to hear you both enjoyed your holiday. I must try Turkey
sometime, though the next trip will be back to Cyprus. The first of
your pics is Pittosporum tobira. That growth is typical of plants
growing in hot climates. The second and third are of Grevillea
robusta in the more mature stages and the final one is Ficus
binnendijkii - sometimes also called 'Alii'.

Old 27-09-2007, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/9/07 18:46, in article ,
"Ageless" wrote:

"Ageless" wrote in message
m...

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Please can anyone ID these for us? We saw them in Turkey. The one that
looks a bit like a Pittosporum tobira isn't but we did wonder if it could
be
related.

http://i24.tinypic.com/znyhv.jpg

looks like the shape of the leaves on our recently acquire Alder tree

I should say Alnus Glu imperialis

Thanks but no. David Poole has identified it as a Ficus!

Old 27-09-2007, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:

We thought first of P. tobira but we've only seen P.
tobira as hedging in hot climates such as the Balearics. This was very low
to the ground - ground cover, in fact.

There are numerous forms of tobira, including those that have low
spreading growth, rarely exceeding 1m at maturity. 'Wheeler's Dwarf'
eventually forms a metre high, spreading mound, but spends its early
years much lower.

Grevillea robusta we've never seen
before and having Googled it, I do wish we'd seen it in flower.

It is rarely seen as more than a year old seedling for 'spot' bedding-
out in this country and was far more common 25 years ago than it is
now. Allowed to mature beyond its silky-leaved juvenile stage
(commonly known as the 'Silk Oak'), the leaves become leathery with
more exaggerated 'teeth' and the plant develops characteristic rather
angular branching. In its native Australia it makes a sizeable tree
carrying very showy, one-sided racemes of orange flowers. I've grown
it here with some success, but the branches can sheer off in squally
winds.

We knew the
Ficus rang a bell but it wasn't playing our tune but you've got it. The
gardener at the hotel had no idea what it was but said it didn't fruit.
Does that sound right? All these plants would be no more than about 3 to 4
years old so will it fruit when it's mature?

The Ficus was only introduced to the pot plant trade from S. E. Asia
about 10-15 years ago and it has proved very successful for 'office
landscaping' in cooler climates. It appears to be claiming popularity
from the more familiar 'weeping fig' - Ficus benjamina and does not
exhibit that species' tendency to periodically drop all of its
leaves. The small figs produced on mature specimens are inedible. It
makes a nice specimen 'tree' quite quickly. I had one in a pot that
went from 20cms. to 1.8m in about 2 years.

Old 27-09-2007, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/9/07 19:00, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Glad to hear you both enjoyed your holiday. I must try Turkey
sometime, though the next trip will be back to Cyprus.

snip
To expand on this but in a different direction, I have never seen any of the
plants you identified (other than P. tobira) in Cyprus but the conditions
must be as close as makes no difference I would imagine.
The hotel garden had been lovingly planted but by someone selling an awful
lot of plants to someone who wasn't sure what he really needed! In one
really quite small circle it was possible to see Hibiscus, Albizia
julibrissin and Cercis siliquastrum all struggling for nourishment and that
was a recurring theme. The soil was thin and poor and if there are any
worms in it, we certainly didn't see one. The gardener, who is just a bit
over-stretched, is also the pool man and occasionally mans the boat too. He
agreed with Ray that it needs a good deal of what he called "mooooooo" as he
held his nose, dug into it. ;-) There was a very pretty little
Lampranthus type with a bright pink double flower, very attractive to bees,
doing wonderfully in sunny spots and then straggling miserably in shady
ones. Skimmias were dying almost as we watched them but mercifully, there
were only two or three. Even Bougainvillea, which was a real joy to look
at, wasn't as far advanced in 3 years as we would have expected in that
climate. Aeoniums planted in bright corners were being watered daily and
were utterly miserable. OTOH, pomegranates verged on rampaging as were lime
trees. Some of the pomegranates were ripe to the point of splitting, others
were obviously young fruits so I imagine they develop fruit almost all the
year round there? One had a lovely double, white and orangey flower. Most
of the garden was lovely and full of colour but I suppose that we noticed
bits and pieces many would have overlooked if not taking a sort of busman's
holiday interest. ;-)
On one evening we were in a garden where they were spraying some smelly pale
yellow powder all along the garden's border with the river. We were
appalled and asked what it was and were assured it was a harmless mosquito
killer. But the barman covered our glasses while telling us it would do us
no harm. Huh?! Ray and another chap there said it reminded them of DDT but
I believe that is now banned in Turkey, so does anyone have any idea what is
now used against mosquitoes in that country?

Old 27-09-2007, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/9/07 22:20, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

We thought first of P. tobira but we've only seen P.
tobira as hedging in hot climates such as the Balearics. This was very low
to the ground - ground cover, in fact.

There are numerous forms of tobira, including those that have low
spreading growth, rarely exceeding 1m at maturity. 'Wheeler's Dwarf'
eventually forms a metre high, spreading mound, but spends its early
years much lower.

That must be it or a close cousin. There were no flowers on it, which
didn't help, so perhaps they appear earlier in the year.

Grevillea robusta we've never seen
before and having Googled it, I do wish we'd seen it in flower.

It is rarely seen as more than a year old seedling for 'spot' bedding-
out in this country and was far more common 25 years ago than it is
now. Allowed to mature beyond its silky-leaved juvenile stage
(commonly known as the 'Silk Oak'), the leaves become leathery with
more exaggerated 'teeth' and the plant develops characteristic rather
angular branching. In its native Australia it makes a sizeable tree
carrying very showy, one-sided racemes of orange flowers. I've grown
it here with some success, but the branches can sheer off in squally
winds.

Not likely to survive with us though!

We knew the
Ficus rang a bell but it wasn't playing our tune but you've got it. The
gardener at the hotel had no idea what it was but said it didn't fruit.
Does that sound right? All these plants would be no more than about 3 to 4
years old so will it fruit when it's mature?

The Ficus was only introduced to the pot plant trade from S. E. Asia
about 10-15 years ago and it has proved very successful for 'office
landscaping' in cooler climates. It appears to be claiming popularity
from the more familiar 'weeping fig' - Ficus benjamina and does not
exhibit that species' tendency to periodically drop all of its
leaves. The small figs produced on mature specimens are inedible. It
makes a nice specimen 'tree' quite quickly. I had one in a pot that
went from 20cms. to 1.8m in about 2 years.

We spent a long time puzzling over this one. In shape and droopiness, it
made me think a bit of a peach, although we knew it wasn't that. These were
being grown on a single trunk and varied from 5 to 8 feet tall.

Old 28-09-2007, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/9/07 15:15, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

snip How was the weather etc? My daughter wants to go to Turkey for a
holiday in
the
next couple of weeks.

It was lovely, Martin

snip

Thanks Sacha I have forwarded your post to my daughter.

If you think I can help her any further, do ask her to email me if she'd
like to.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Unknown shrubs Dave Hill United Kingdom 2 07-05-2012 03:13 PM
Ornamental grasses enhance and showcase your flowers and shrubs (Land Steward Article) Earl Gardening 2 14-04-2005 06:26 PM
I need help with an Unknown tree (3 images attached) please! hiphop Bonsai 1 19-10-2003 06:02 PM
unknown small tree? Jenny Gardening 4 12-10-2003 04:02 PM
Two unknown shrubs Xplorer Gardening 1 09-06-2003 09:20 PM