Old 01-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Registered User

Question Trees destroying my home?

Hi all,

I have some Connifer trees in my garden, and I've recently noticed quite a few cracks appearing inside my house, particularly in the corners of rooms.

Is it possible or likely that these trees (or roots of) are causing the cracks, and if so, are they likely to get worse?

There are 6 trees, each about 15-20 metres high, and all about 10 metres from the back of the house.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance...
Old 01-10-2007, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trees destroying my home?

In article ,
JimR123 writes:

| I have some Connifer trees in my garden, and I've recently noticed
| quite a few cracks appearing inside my house, particularly in the
| corners of rooms.
|
| Is it possible or likely that these trees (or roots of) are causing the
| cracks, and if so, are they likely to get worse?
|
| There are 6 trees, each about 15-20 metres high, and all about 10
| metres from the back of the house.

Implausible, but not absolutely impossible. The extremely erratic
rainfall is a more likely cause. If the cracks are more than
cosmetic, get a surveyor to check your house over.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
JimR123 writes:

| I have some Connifer trees in my garden, and I've recently noticed
| quite a few cracks appearing inside my house, particularly in the
| corners of rooms.
|
| Is it possible or likely that these trees (or roots of) are causing the
| cracks, and if so, are they likely to get worse?
|
| There are 6 trees, each about 15-20 metres high, and all about 10
| metres from the back of the house.

Implausible, but not absolutely impossible. The extremely erratic
rainfall is a more likely cause. If the cracks are more than
cosmetic, get a surveyor to check your house over.

Yes I'd it's very unlikely unless you have matching cracks on the outside of
the house as well.

How old is the house?

Old 02-10-2007, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JimR123" wrote in message

Hi all,

I have some Connifer trees in my garden, and I've recently noticed
quite a few cracks appearing inside my house, particularly in the
corners of rooms.

Is it possible or likely that these trees (or roots of) are causing the
cracks, and if so, are they likely to get worse?

There are 6 trees, each about 15-20 metres high, and all about 10
metres from the back of the house.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance...

Conifers are generally shallow rooted and the roots are not usually known to
cause that sort of damage at such distance.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.
A little learning is a dangerous thing, but it still beats total ignorance.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JimR123" wrote in message

Hi all,

I have some Connifer trees in my garden, and I've recently noticed
quite a few cracks appearing inside my house, particularly in the
corners of rooms.

How old is your house?

Ours was built in 1937 and has had corner ceiling cracks for as long as I
can remember - and I've known the house all my life. There are also some
cracks down corners where walls meet. They're not a problem though.

Shrinkage of surrounding soil through drought can have an effect on the
building and so can heave from excess rain. So can excessive weight in upper
rooms, vibration from heavy traffic, all sorts of influences add to the
cosmetic character of buildings.

Ealier this year I applied silicone seal from a gun to fill the cracks and
painted over everything. The cracks are still there of course but can't now
be seen unless I look very hard and there are more interesting things to do
in life :-)

If you want a reason to remove the confiers just do it!

Mary

Old 02-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Registered User

The house is about 13 years old, and there are no obvious cracks on the outside of the house.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how can erratic rainfall cause cracks inside the house?

How wide can a "cosmetic" crack be? Some of mine are about 3 or 4mm across, and about 1 or 2 metres long. The widest cracks are in the corners of rooms, but there are other, hairline cracks down some walls and along the top of walls.