Old 01-10-2007, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plants and medicine

I have been stabbed by (I think) A dead Japonica. Again.

Again, my arm has swollen up like a football.

Does anyone know why this happens and what one should do about it (apart
from spend half a day at the Doc's again, getting antibiotics)?

Old 01-10-2007, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 1, 6:26 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article , Sacha writes:

| On 1/10/07 15:44, in article , "Uncle| Marvo" wrote:

| I have been stabbed by (I think) A dead Japonica. Again.
|
| Again, my arm has swollen up like a football.
|
| Does anyone know why this happens and what one should do about it (apart
| from spend half a day at the Doc's again, getting antibiotics)?
|
| Get rid of the japonica. I'm not joking. If you have that kind of allergic
| reaction and it's getting worse, not better, I'd avoid that particular plant
| like the plague.

Agreed. And antibiotics are precisely what you DON'T want to take
for such reactions - they aren't as harmful as when used to treat
snakebite, but are still not good.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

sounds right to me Nick; sounds allergic rather than infection by
bugs;
I remember getting antibiotics for hay fever when I was 7 and I self
diagnosed hay fever later on (I still have it).
Allergies can be nasty as they can get worse and worse each time;
Sacha is right maybe (get someone else to get rid of it even);
otherwise, piriton is over the counter from chemist, elephant strength
antihistamine; stops sneezing in 15 mins and sends you to sleep 15
mins later; if you bloat badly next time, useful to have some handy.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On Oct 1, 6:26 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article , Sacha
writes:

On 1/10/07 15:44, in article ,
"Uncle| Marvo" wrote:

[...]

I think you're all probably right.

I've got a doc's appointment in a mo, I'll explain that it's the second case
of the same plant. Best to check up while I've still got two arms

[what's that that's just fallen off?]

The Japonica's going just as soon as I can get the stump out - maybe it's
time to pay someone else to do it, pesky thing.

Piriton.

zzzzzzzzz

Old 02-10-2007, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 2, 9:48 am, Sacha wrote:
On 2/10/07 09:19, in article , "Uncle

Marvo" wrote:

snip

I think you're all probably right.

I've got a doc's appointment in a mo, I'll explain that it's the second case
of the same plant. Best to check up while I've still got two arms

[what's that that's just fallen off?]

The Japonica's going just as soon as I can get the stump out - maybe it's
time to pay someone else to do it, pesky thing.

Piriton.

zzzzzzzzz

When I was asking about mozzie treatments someone told me that you can get
anti-histamine tabs that don't knock you out. If I take Piriton I'm gone
for a good two hours or more!

There are lots and lots of anti-histamine tablets that do not knock
you out but I never found one that I like and that worked quickly and
that did not have worse side effects. For occasional use, piriton are
very cheap and very fast as long as you do not then go for a gunfight
or try to play rugby or drive a car. I only use them in emergencies.
I always take them with me when travelling in case I end up in a dusty
hotel room.
Other tablets I have tried sometimes take a day or two to get going
and then give me racing heartbeat; it is grim to try to sleep with
that.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Old 02-10-2007, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 15:44:48 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:

I have been stabbed by (I think) A dead Japonica. Again.

Again, my arm has swollen up like a football.

Does anyone know why this happens and what one should do about it (apart
from spend half a day at the Doc's again, getting antibiotics)?

Get rid of the offending plants. Perhaps get someone else to remove
them.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Old 02-10-2007, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On Oct 2, 9:48 am, Sacha wrote:
On 2/10/07 09:19, in article ,
"Uncle

Marvo" wrote:

snip

[...]

I have Zirtek (sp?) which don't knock me out. I must see if I can start a
gunfight later, when I've finished the game of rugby.

I also have cellulitis and Flucloxacillin, and a flea in the ear from Doc
who says not to touch that plant again, cos next time I might be doing
Nelson impressions.

Kiss me, Hardy.

I didn't even like the bl**dy thing much.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 01:56:13 -0700, Des Higgins
wrote and included this (or some of this):

There are lots and lots of anti-histamine tablets that do not knock
you out but I never found one that I like and that worked quickly and
that did not have worse side effects. For occasional use, piriton are
very cheap and very fast as long as you do not then go for a gunfight
or try to play rugby or drive a car. I only use them in emergencies.
I always take them with me when travelling in case I end up in a dusty
hotel room.

Tescos sell "Non-drowsy hayfever and allergy relief" tablets
(10mg Loratadine) which seem OK.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

Old 02-10-2007, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Uncle Marvo" writes:

| Tescos sell "Non-drowsy hayfever and allergy relief" tablets
| (10mg Loratadine) which seem OK.
|
| Somebody said the "T" word :-)

Twaddle? Testicles? Tyranny? Tetrodotoxin?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On 2/10/07 11:10, in article , "Uncle
Marvo" wrote:

snip

I have Zirtek (sp?) which don't knock me out. I must see if I can
start a gunfight later, when I've finished the game of rugby.

I also have cellulitis and Flucloxacillin, and a flea in the ear
from Doc who says not to touch that plant again, cos next time I
might be doing Nelson impressions.

Kiss me, Hardy.

I didn't even like the bl**dy thing much.

Just like me and bees so now I carry an Epipen if going to farflung
places and on holiday. Nobody is certain another sting *would* kill
me but they'd rather I didn't experiment! Get rid of that plant but
for goodness sake don't do it yourself. And do make sure that
whoever does it doesn't leave any twigs or thorns lying around that
you might not see.
I haven't searched very exhaustively but I can't find any cautions
about toxicity in this plant so is it possible its been hit by some
spray or other and that you have, effectively, injected yourself with
it? I have known that happen to someone who pricked himself on a
rose thorn and came very close to death.

I have searched too, and this one doesn't have any problems known to anyone
but me, it seems. I cut myself every time I go in the garden, rose thorns,
brambles etc, and no problem. It was killed by chemical means but it
attacked me before that. I don't think there are any chemicals other then
glyphosate on it though.

It's odd. It's a Chaenomeles Japonica (sp? Japanese Quince?) - or it was,
anyway. Now it's a pile of twigs. Deadly twigs :-)

Old 02-10-2007, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 2, 1:46 pm, "Uncle Marvo"
, I, Marvo, say :

On 2/10/07 11:10, in article , "Uncle
Marvo" wrote:

snip

[...]

anyway. Now it's a pile of twigs. Deadly twigs :-)- Hide quoted text -

You can become sensitive to things whereas before you had no reaction
at all. I can't touch Juniper, huge red rash appears, it never used
to.

Judith

ellephants herbal medicine herbal medicine of native americansdiabetes herbal medicine strauss [email protected] Plant Biology 0 27-03-2008 12:21 PM
Soil medicine Jim United Kingdom 9 12-11-2003 02:33 AM
Some Plants of Singapore Used in the Siddha Medicine of the Tamils. Sambar Idli Plant Science 4 26-04-2003 01:29 PM
U.S. consumer groups to sue USDA over GMO medicine crops Marcus Williamson sci.agriculture 3 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
U.S. consumer groups to sue USDA over GMO medicine crops Marcus Williamson sci.agriculture 4 07-03-2003 12:22 AM